Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

New hat band arrived, so decided to give the Gus a new look.

W6ZzZo8.jpg
Hat looks great. you might could use a shave ;)

“Suiting the Sound: Jewish Rodeo Tailors of Country Music,” premiering tonight at 7:00 PM CT.
Watch it free on either museum's Facebook page.
The conversation focuses on the “rhinestone cowboy” look, and how it emerged in the 1940s and 1950s out of the tailor shops of Eastern European Jewish immigrants Bernard “Rodeo Ben” Lichtenstein, Nathan Turk, and Nudie Cohn.

Suiting_The_Sound.jpg

Excuse my ignorance, does the company name on the hat band mean that they sold the hat or did they "make" them? For instance, the aforementioned Shudde Bros. or my 3X says Perry's Dry Goods Gardenerville, NV. Just curious? View attachment 402930
In most cases it is just the store name where the hat was sold. There are exceptions where the store is also the maker of the hat. Shudde Bros do.. or did at some point make their own hats. In the case of our hats however… both are actually Stetson 3X Beaver Open Road hats with the store name attached. Which is certainly not anything to be disappointed at.

I had wondered with mine if Shudde did something with the sweatbands as I had several Stetson from this era and this one had the softest most comfortable sweat of any I’d seen. But I’ve been told from some folks here they were as is from factory.

StoryPNW

Practically Family
In most cases it is just the store name where the hat was sold. There are exceptions where the store is also the maker of the hat. Shudde Bros do.. or did at some point make their own hats. In the case of our hats however… both are actually Stetson 3X Beaver Open Road hats with the store name attached. Which is certainly not anything to be disappointed at.

I had wondered with mine if Shudde did something with the sweatbands as I had several Stetson from this era and this one had the softest most comfortable sweat of any I’d seen. But I’ve been told from some folks here they were as is from factory.
Thanks, I'm still learning, but I love history so I enjoy it. I found looking up info on Perry's Dry Goods, after I got my hat, really interesting.

Thanks, I'm still learning, but I love history so I enjoy it. I found looking up info on Perry's Dry Goods, after I got my hat, really interesting.
Yes.. the history of these old hat stores is a whole rabbit hole itself. There is a great thread on here dedicated to what store is your hat from… if im not mistaken the thread was started by @BobHufford

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Excuse my ignorance, does the company name on the hat band mean that they sold the hat or did they "make" them? For instance, the aforementioned Shudde Bros. or my 3X says Perry's Dry Goods Gardnerville, NV. Just curious? View attachment 402930
Some shops had hat makers. Most just ordered them custom from standard hat manufacturers. I have two dead stock cowboy hats from a small local towns general store. Both made by Beaver Brand hats. So it wasn’t just Stetson that offered such services.
Johnny

Yes.. the history of these old hat stores is a whole rabbit hole itself. There is a great thread on here dedicated to what store is your hat from… if im not mistaken the thread was started by @BobHufford

As Joe mentioned there is a thread for the hat stores themselves. Post up what you find on Perry's!

Some shops had hat makers. Most just ordered them custom from standard hat manufacturers. I have two dead stock cowboy hats from a small local towns general store. Both made by Beaver Brand hats. So it wasn’t just Stetson that offered such services.
Johnny

Beaver Brands was prolific when it came to making small store "house brands" in addition to the brands they had under their umbrella with nationwide distribution (Thoroughbred and Lion for example).

As Joe mentioned there is a thread for the hat stores themselves. Post up what you find on Perry's!

Beaver Brands was prolific when it came to making small store "house brands" in addition to the brands they had under their umbrella with nationwide distribution (Thoroughbred and Lion for example).

And just to keep it all on topic…. Here is my Western Fox Hats of St Paul, MN which I believe may have been made by Langenberg

which leads me to believe they (or whomever made this hat) offered a service where hat stores could not only sell their own house brand… but offer a bespoke service to their customers As well.

C3896104-C2E4-40EB-B7C8-96A35F314D68.jpeg
10C12725-6765-495F-BB2B-5313C125BB7A.jpeg
B4B72F1C-C3C0-4F6A-8123-4215067CD6A4.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CCRider