Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

Modern Resistol 20X Beaver White Gold:

IMG_4080.jpeg
IMG_4085.jpeg
IMG_4077.jpeg
IMG_4076.jpeg
IMG_4078.jpeg
IMG_4086.jpeg
IMG_4087.jpeg

VoodooSan

A-List Customer
Sorry, it’s another long story!

Years ago, I went down an internet rabbit hole, chasing info on American-west-themed art. Somewhere along the way, I came across the works of an artist named William Herbert “Buck” Dunton. I also came across a 1932 photo of Mr. Dunton, wearing an awesome western hat. Neither the crease nor the curl were totally unique, but I had never seen them taken quite to the extreme as they were on his hat, and had NEVER seen them on a genuine period hat. I saved the photo, intending to someday engage a hatter to try to replicate it.

When I learned that Randall @Randall Renshaw had transitioned from being a collector, to doing refurbishing and re-creations, I immediately got in touch with him, and we quickly agreed that he should be the hatter to recreate the hat. I didn’t have one of sufficient size and color that I was willing to sacrifice to the project, but I was lucky enough to quickly score a Resistol Stagecoach Collection Timber Creek on eBay. It arrived about a week later, in as good a condition as I had hoped. In one of those odd quirks of life, the Timber Creek was originally sold from The Los Altos Western Store, a business I had actually patronized back in the 1980s, around the time the hat was being marketed for the first time. I asked Randall to cut that portion of the original sweatband, and attach it to his replacement, which he has done. It took Randall about three weeks to work his wizardry, including our discussing ribbon colors, binding colors, crown flourishes, and bow designs. When he was done, I paid him a ridiculously reasonable sum of money, and he shipped my re-creation back to me. I think he did a magnificent job of replicating Mr. Dunton’s hat, and it shall enter my EDW (Every Day Wear) stable, to be known as the “Buck.”

So here’s the photo of Mr. Dunton in his hat, a lithograph he did of a friend in a similar hat, the Buck on me, a closeup of the band adornment, the replacement headband, the custom lining, and the section of original headband.

This is EXACTLY what I had been envisioning, ever since I first saw that picture of Buck Dunton, lo, those many years ago. I am so freaking delighted, it's hard to put into words.

Buck Dunton hat.jpg
Dunton litho.jpg
Buck 4.jpg
Buck 5.jpg
Buck 6.jpg
Buck 7.jpg
Buck 8.jpg
Buck 9.jpg

Last edited:

Steve1857

I'll Lock Up

Years ago, I went down an internet rabbit hole, chasing info on American-west-themed art. Somewhere along the way, I came across the works of an artist named William Herbert “Buck” Dunton. I also came across a 1932 photo of Mr. Dunton, wearing an awesome western hat. Neither the crease nor the curl were totally unique, but I had never seen them taken quite to the extreme as they were on his hat, and had NEVER seen them on a genuine period hat. I saved the photo, intending to someday engage a hatter to try to replicate it.

When I learned that Randall @Randall Renshaw had transitioned from being a collector, to doing refurbishing and re-creations, I immediately got in touch with him, and we quickly agreed that he should be the hatter to recreate the hat. I didn’t have one of sufficient size and color that I was willing to sacrifice to the project, but I was lucky enough to quickly score a Resistol Stagecoach Collection Timber Creek on eBay. It arrived about a week later, in as good a condition as I had hoped. In one of those odd quirks of life, the Timber Creek was originally sold from The Los Altos Western Store, a business I had actually patronized back in the 1980s, around the time the hat was being marketed for the first time. I asked Randall to cut that portion of the original sweatband, and attach it to his replacement, which he has done. It took Randall about three weeks to work his wizardry, including our discussing ribbon colors, binding colors, crown flourishes, and bow designs. When he was done, I paid him a ridiculously reasonable sum of money, and he shipped my re-creation back to me. I think he did a magnificent job of replicating Mr. Dunton’s hat, and it shall enter my EDW (Every Day Wear) stable, to be known as the “Buck.”

So here’s the photo of Mr. Dunton in his hat, a lithograph he did of a friend in a similar hat, the Buck on me, a closeup of the band adornment, the replacement headband, the custom lining, and the section of original headband

This is EXACTLY what I had been envisioning, ever since I first saw that picture of Buck Dunton lo, those many years ago. I am so freaking delighted it’s hard to put into words.
I'm so happy for you, Mark. Great looking hat.

Randall is a master craftsman in many fields. Good choice in choosing him for the project.

wsmontana

A-List Customer

So here’s the photo of Mr. Dunton in his hat, a lithograph he did of a friend in a similar hat, the Buck on me, a closeup of the band adornment, the replacement headband, the custom lining, and the section of original headband.

This is EXACTLY what I had been envisioning, ever since I first saw that picture of Buck Dunton, lo, those many years ago. I am so freaking delighted, it's hard to put into words.

. View attachment 607804 View attachment 607805 View attachment 607806 View attachment 607807 View attachment 607808 View attachment 607809 View attachment 607810 View attachment 607811
LOVE the recreation, Mark! Fantastic job by @Randall Renshaw!

T Jones

I'll Lock Up

. View attachment 607804 View attachment 607805 View attachment 607806 View attachment 607807 View attachment 607808 View attachment 607809 View attachment 607810 View attachment 607811
Yessir. That's a nice stylin' Resistol Randall made up for you. You look like you stepped right out of the 1890s - 1910s. That's one of my favorite creases for a Western.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
Very cool, Mark! Randall is quite the craftsman.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner