Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western, anyone?

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Thanks, Terry! I would LOVE to see what magic you could work on one of these!
I've got an idea for it if one ever comes my way!
Screenshot_20240521-074503~2.png

VoodooSan

Practically Family
OK, I don’t think I can treat the scales any more, without risking affecting the leather underneath. They are a LITTLE better looking, and I opened the band up,, so it fits the crown properly now. I’m thinking it's now a good match for the hat. What say you folks? Leave it as is, or pop for a new one?

Stetson Big Country band.jpg

wsmontana

A-List Customer
OK, I don’t think I can treat the scales any more, without risking affecting the leather underneath. They are a LITTLE better looking, and I opened the band up,, so it fits the crown properly now. I’m thinking it's now a good match for the hat. What say you folks? Leave it as is, or pop for a new one?

View attachment 615533
I think it looks great! I have a snake skin band that was badly dried out but recovered well after a few rounds of Pecard’s.

IMG_6039.jpeg

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I like big hats and I cannot lie
My posse members can’t deny
When a cowboy walks in with a five inch brim
And a crown that reaches the sky, I get sprung

Sorry, I just couldn’t resist. :D

My latest score off the bay is a late 70s to early 80s Stetson Big Country, in Acorn, with a 5” brim and a crown that’s 5” at the front bash, and 6” on the side. Opened up, the full crown, uncreased, is 7”. I’m REALLY hoping some Bickmore Exotic Leather treatment will enable me to save the band, otherwise I’m gonna end up spending more on a new piece of snake, than I did on the hat. This will see duty as a Cowboy Action Shooting hat, probably within the next month.

View attachment 614926 View attachment 614927
Hi
The taxidermy companies carry a spray to keep the snakeskin fresh. Andelus Reptile / Exotic Skin Formula.
Cool hat and band.

VoodooSan

Practically Family
I used Pecard’s Antique Leather Dressing but if I remember correctly I didn’t apply it to the scale side. My band has a thick leather backing and that was dried and where I applied the dressing. Not sure if you should use a different dressing on the scale side.
Copy that. My band is wrapped completely around the leather backing. I think I'll give the Angelus reptile product a try first.

The Moore Hat Co. “Bulldogger”, Lawton, OK. ~1950 - 1960. The doctor’s hat. With a 3” brim I wear it in a style I envision a 1930’s western MD or DVM might have.

Any spots in these pics are shadows from a dirty windshield.

IMG_0433.jpeg

IMG_0436.jpeg

IMG_0430.jpeg

IMG_0432.jpeg

Researching the Moore Hat Co. several yrs ago didn’t produce much. The company must have been around for a while & an employer of note, as I found a couple of obituaries of former employees. I also found when the fifty yr registered “Bulldogger” trademark was allowed to expire & was not renewed. No other Moore hat has come to my attention.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
A generous Lounger friend rescued this poor neglected 3X Resistol and gifted it to me. The plan for this one is to give it a total makeover. I don't know who put the feathered band on this Resistol, but it's gone!

No Resistol deserves to be treated like this. I've lost all faith in humanity.
3-X-Resistol-tan-1.jpg

3-X-Resistol-tan-4.jpg

3-X-Resistol-tan-6.jpg

Under the feather band was a nice little surprise. You just don't see these Resistol pins that often.
IMG-20240527-074554142.jpg

"Resistol" "Best All Around"
IMG-20240527-074615317.jpg

IMG-20240527-074833598.jpg

On the block and getting it ready for a make over. I'll be reusing the two cord hat band and putting the Resistol pin back on it.
IMG-20240528-082925305.jpg

Some Hank!

Rawhide full episode, "Incident With An Executioner". Guest stars, Dan Duryea and Martin Milner

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace