Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Western Hat Shaping

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Well, not to put too fine a point to this, but, steam is AN answer, but it's certainly not the only answer.
With the heavy felt of a western hat, spritzing with cold water will leave the hat easy to shape and you can either wear it dry ... which many of us are willing to put up with because it allows the hat to conform to your personal head shape ... or you can let it set and dry
Either will allow you to reshape the western hat

Sam

One Too Many
Well, not to put too fine a point to this, but, steam is AN answer, but it's certainly not the only answer.
With the heavy felt of a western hat, spritzing with cold water will leave the hat easy to shape and you can either wear it dry ... which many of us are willing to put up with because it allows the hat to conform to your personal head shape ... or you can let it set and dry
Either will allow you to reshape the western hat

Sam
I am agree ¡¡¡¡

BanjoMerlin

A-List Customer
Some of my western hats can be shaped with cold water, some of them cannot. It depends on how much stiffener/water-proofing stuff is on them.

If you can use the hat as a step stool you're probably gonna need some steam.

Mobile Vulgus

One Too Many
I found that some of my westerns had to be soaked for a good long time to get shapeable. But I didn't have to use steam necessarily. I just needed to get them good and wet!

Steam will reactivate the shellac that wetting seems to weaken. I've had western hats that got soaked in the rain & got a bit floppy. Hitting them with steam snapped them back into shape. I've used distilled water to soak a hat for major reshaping then once getting it where I wanted it, steamed it to set it in & hold on. JMHO...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails