Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whadja get?!

My Fav!

I received probably an over abundance of very nice presents....but here is a discription of what is surely my favorite(don't tell the rest of the family!). From my twelve year old only son....presented to me with a big smile. A gorgeous "vintage type" suede russet pillow with hvy black and silver piping...but also including bright script embroidery stating.."A Father is someone you look up to no matter how tall you are". Wow
HD

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HoosierDaddy said:
I received probably an over abundance of very nice presents....but here is a discription of what is surely my favorite(don't tell the rest of the family!). From my twelve year old only son....presented to me with a big smile. A gorgeous "vintage type" suede russet pillow with hvy black and silver piping...but also including bright script embroidery stating.."A Father is someone you look up to no matter how tall you are". Wow
HD
That is really sweet. Something to treasure forever!
I celebrate Hannukkah, and usually get some pretty cool presents. But this year, my family took the easy way out and gave cash, which was greatly appreciated. I really can't complain, I'm 32 and not working, and have a pretty hefty mortgage that they have been helping with, with open arms. So, any cash is greatly appreciated. I do however, miss the ripping open of presents by the fire. I think it's not that I miss the receiving of fun, unexpected items, but the act of family all together, giving gifts that bring happiness. Next year I'm hoping to have a gathering of all the family. Now that I'm older, I appreciate these moments so much more.

IlsaLund

One of the Regulars
PrettySquareGal said:
More gifts: Alfred Hitchcock Presents on DVD, books: Ethan Fromme...

Ethan Frome .... LOVE that book!

As for me, it was quite a lovely holiday. I received a few scarves, a nice black sweater for new years, a vintage hat (from the LAST person I thought would get something like that... my overly trendy sister!), a pineapple purse, a gift certificate, and a little moolah. Everything was VERY me.

As for giving... like I said before, I baked hundreds of cookies and gave those out in holiday tins, mostly. I also got flowers and a herringbone purse for my grandmother, a framed picture for my papa (the picture that is my avatar), two spa gift certificates for my sister and mother, and a stack of Dr. Seuss for my nephew. My family argues that I'm the coolest aunt ever, except at holidays, when all I will buy the little ones is books... *I* say that's what makes me great. Oh, and I knit two Gentleman Scarves, but I haven't had the chance to give them yet. I'm actually nervous to do so, because sometimes I forget that people look at homemade knit gifts and shudder... :(

OH. And a lump of coal for an ex-flame. No, really. I bought it at Michael's. It's chocolate.

Mike in Seattle

CharlieH. said:
A bag of coal.

The gift I gave my partner for a variety of reasons - a lump of coal...which he doesn't understand the implications of. "Is this because I wouldn't let you put charcoal in the fireplace when the power was out after the windstorm?" The friend who was here for dinner with us was laughing until she cried. She almost shot merlot out her nose when she saw what it was and he asked his question.

Ah...good holiday memories...

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I got too many gifts from my over-indulgent family and friends.

A $50 gift certificate to a favorite restaurant

Two books from my San Diego friends

A martini hand towel

Incense and candles

Two bottles of dry red wine

Tickets for mother and me to the civic center for a performance anytime this year

Four Christmas glasses, useful for anything from eggnog to champagne

A $100 gift certificate to the Des Moines Art Center which I can use to partially pay for a class.

Mother got me a digital camera (Sony Cybershot DSC-W50), but I need to take it to Best Buy and ask how to use it or return it -- the instructions are confusing. I wish they would quit making electronic products totally geared towards 19-year-old geeks. There really is a market out there for we older folks who want something simple, whether it is a cell phone or camera or whatever.

karol

The real Henry

Practically Family
melankomas said:
may we expect pictures? please say we may!

:D

Here are the ebay photos, but I'll for sure take new ones with the prowd owner!:D

I already bought some nice 78s:

1. Lazy river
2. Oh lady be good!
3. (my favourite!) Mack the knife by Louis Armstrong, from 1946 I believe

I totally forgot that I recieved a biography about Bobby Darin.

Regards,
Henrik

IlsaLund

One of the Regulars
Present for yourself?

This isn't completely :eek:fftopic: , I don't think...

Did anyone out there get themselves a christmas gift? I don't like to spend a whole lot of money on myself, but I splurged and got a Stop Staring dress. A sound investment, because I go out swing dancing 2-3 times a week.

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
My lovely wife gave me a nice tie, set of Nautica cufflinks with the four points of the compass, a very nice apothecary mug for my shaving cream and brush and a nice new grill. Of course she gets the benefit of the latter as well.

My fellow geek friend gave me this for the field phone. Now I just need to find one of the old shoulder rests for it.

Willi_Goat

One of the Regulars
IlsaLund said:
This isn't completely :eek:fftopic: , I don't think...

Did anyone out there get themselves a christmas gift? I don't like to spend a whole lot of money on myself, but I splurged and got a Stop Staring dress. A sound investment, because I go out swing dancing 2-3 times a week.

I suppose I did, I went out the week before Christmas and picked up a nice old wardrobe. I will have to get a few photos and get them posted.

DOUGLAS

I feel I did extremely well this year.

A Grafton detachable 2-1/4" collar
A few WWII Japanese Military Insignia
Deadwood Season Two
"A Letter From Japan" Photographs of John Swope
A Tanaka Ryohei etching numbered 114/150
A gift Certificate at Pratima Ayuvetic Spa Clinic
for scalp and feet treatment
Six Pairs of Brooks Brothers Boxers
The jaw of a Snaggle Tooth Shark
My daughter took my wife and I to Dinner
A large, early 20th Century photograph of a factory I used to play in when I was in grade school
and my favorite
A hand written letter from my Grand Father to my Mother when she was young on Good Manners ( which I will post in the hat section tomorrow)

Folly

One of the Regulars
My husband gave me a pair of amethyst earrings and a wonderful Jackie O style swing jacket (black and beyond gorgeous).

I also got -

5 CD's
4 books (one of ads and articles from Good Housekeeping in the 1940's)
4 DVD's
An alpaca package purchased for farmers in Peru in mine and my husband's name
A faery storage box
Incredibly bizarre bed socks that look like they’re from a bygone era!
Lavender smellies
Some money
A Year In Paris calendar (with the sweetest vintage style art work)
A sheep bookmark lol
The sweetest little doll (named Scarlet) who was purchased because she reminded my brother in law of me! Awww!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
A brand new sewing maschine
A DVD set of Heinz R?ºhmanns movies from the 30s
A 50s lipstick-case
A iron so I can press my fabric before sewing
Several books
A shawl
wine

and a loooot of candy that I´m sharing with my colleagues at work!

GOK

One Too Many
Despite begging people to not get me any presents and to give the money to charity instead, I received;

Pirates of the Caribbean 2
The Best of Frank Sinatra CDs
Nazi Chic?: Fashioning Women in the Third Reich (Dress, Body, Culture) by Irene Guenther
Large set of Origins products
Cool and unusual silver earrings
Scented candles
Chocolate
A bazillion little bits and pieces

It was lovely to receive them all. :)

Kim_B

Practically Family
Pre-Christmas (Gift from DH)
- beautiful diamond bracelet
- Marilyn Monroe boxed DVD set

Christmas Eve (My Extended Family)
- Gift cards to Best Buy & Smokey Bones restaurant
- Bath & Body Works soap
- slipper socks
- slippers for DH
- a cute little Abominable Snowman character from my darling cousin
- popcorn tin

Christmas, Part 1 (The In-Laws)
- She-Ra: Princess of Power Volume 1 boxed set (sounds dumb, but it's the only part of my childhood I'd like to hang on to!)
- set of sheets
- chenille throw and matching pillows for sofa
- hand lotions
- Bath & Body works hand soap
- $ from his Aunt & Uncle

We haven't had Christmas, Part 2 (My Parents) yet but will probably do it either this week or over the weekend (kill two birds with one stone since it's my birthday on Monday).

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I did well this year too!

I got a set of hot curlers, an adorable 50s pin-up-y record card box and handbag mirror, kitchen notice board with cupcakes on and a chocolate making mould plus a load of homemade baked goods from my best friend.

V for Vendetta dvd, Series 1-3 of Peep Show dvd (funny UK comedy), the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen graphic novel and a voucher for a Stop Staring dress (he didn't know which one to get me!) from my sweetie.

Garth Merenghi (another UK comedy) dvd, cute passport holder, vintagey scarves, pretty vase, money, and whodunnit book from my parents.

Bettie Page framed picture, mousemat and boxed "action figure" from my brother.

Plus a trip to Hampton Court Palace's outdoor ice skating rink from my aunt, where I went yesterday. I haven't been ice skating in 10 years. I have bloody elbows and a buised bum to prove it. :eusa_doh:

All in all a great Christmas and I gave as many pressies as I received. For me it's all about making other people happy, but it's nice to get nice things too. ;)

Tom Mac

New in Town
A teapot, assorted kitchen items such as silverware and jars, the 5th season of Magnum PI, The Little Country by Charles deLint, and a 3 disc Frank Sinatra collection.
My favourite gifts were from friends of mine- one made cookies, and another got me a bracelet with my name on it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24