Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Whadja get?!

Gray Ghost

A-List Customer
Viola said:
Jack Scorpion, I presume that Gray Ghost's remote-controlled General Lee is an orange Dodge charger with the stars and bars on top and -Viola

It is the Confederate Battle Flag instead of the Stars and Bars. The Stars and Bars is a flag very much like Old Glory. It has a blue field with either 7 to 11 stars (7 for the first states to secede and 11 for the total southern states to secede, there were only 11 Confederate States and not 13 like some people assume) it has one red bar over a white bar and then another red bar. Making a total of 2 red and 1 white bar. It was the First National Confederate Flag and was designed in Wilson, NC before NC became a Confederate State. The battle flag was never meant to fly over a building it is an instrument of war. It was created to be used in battle only and as a marker for different regiments so the commanding general could see where different regiments were on the field.

Gray Ghost

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
GOK said:
Nazi Chic?: Fashioning Women in the Third Reich (Dress, Body, Culture) by Irene Guenther

Hmmm, I never really thought the words "chic" and "the third reich" went together. I mean, I love vintage, but don't wake up in the morning and say "I think I'll do my third reich look today". Am I misunderstanding this book. Is it a book on how to look like a woman of the reich? or is it about how woman dressed while it was in power? Just curious...

Amelie

A-List Customer
Daisy Buchanan said:
Hmmm, I never really thought the words "chic" and "the third reich" went together. I mean, I love vintage, but don't wake up in the morning and say "I think I'll do my third reich look today". Am I misunderstanding this book. Is it a book on how to look like a woman of the reich? or is it about how woman dressed while it was in power? Just curious...

I was interested by the title and I looked to see more info on it. If I read right, it's about how the reich used fashion to promote their superiority and how german women ended being one of the most well dressed women of that time

now I really want to get my hands on that book :eusa_doh:

GOK

One Too Many
Amelie said:
I was interested by the title and I looked to see more info on it. If I read right, it's about how the reich used fashion to promote their superiority and how german women ended being one of the most well dressed women of that time

now I really want to get my hands on that book :eusa_doh:

Yes and how the Third Reich dicated and promoted the ideal female form and character. It wasn't merely about clothes, it was about creating perfection!

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
Gray Ghost said:
It is the Confederate Battle Flag instead of the Stars and Bars. The Stars and Bars is a flag very much like Old Glory. It has a blue field with either 7 to 11 stars (7 for the first states to secede and 11 for the total southern states to secede, there were only 11 Confederate States and not 13 like some people assume) it has one red bar over a white bar and then another red bar. Making a total of 2 red and 1 white bar. It was the First National Confederate Flag and was designed in Wilson, NC before NC became a Confederate State. The battle flag was never meant to fly over a building it is an instrument of war. It was created to be used in battle only and as a marker for different regiments so the commanding general could see where different regiments were on the field.

Gray Ghost

What I had in mind sounded much better. Good pull, anyway.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
GOK said:
Yes and how the Third Reich dicated and promoted the ideal female form and character. It wasn't merely about clothes, it was about creating perfection!

Can you please elaborate? How did the Third Reich promote the ideal female character? I looked the book up on amazon and this is the overview:

"We are all familiar with the stereotype of the German woman as either a Brunhilde in uniform or a chubby farmer's wife. However, throughout the interwar period fashion was one of Germany's largest industries and German women ranked among the most elegantly dressed in all of Europe. This book explores the failed attempt by the Nazi state to construct a female image that would mirror official gender policies, instill feelings of national pride, promote a German victory on the fashion runways of Europe, and support a Nazi-controlled European fashion industry. How did the few women with power maintain style and elegance? How did the majority experience the increased standardization of clothing characteristic of the Nazi years? How did women deal with the severe clothing restrictions brought about by Nazi policies and the exigencies of war? Nazi 'Chic'? addresses these questions and many others, including the role of anti-Semitism, "aryanization," and the hypocrisy of Nazi policies. The result is the first book in English to deal comprehensively with German fashion from World War I through to the end of the Third Reich."

So I understand the fashion piece, but I'm not seeing the perfection of character part.

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
Daisy Buchanan said:

When I first read the title I looked it up online. It seems, from some reviews I have read, like a very interesting book as far as historical purposes go. Here's an excerpt from a review:

"Concentration camp inmates sweatshopped for the Reich, too: women were worked to death minding mills, spinning rationed ersatz yardage from sawdust and food waste to uniform the military (the cloth almost dissolved in rain). Meanwhile, a few top hands refashioned quality materials, deposited in warehouses after the extermination of their owners, into clothes, including evening gowns, for SS families, mistresses and female guards. Two custom-made dresses a week per slave, to be picked up Sunday noon.

Guenther never editorialises and the more insane the reality, the more calmly and carefully she balances her facts. In the spring of 1945, a season for which the Fashion Institute had not prepared a colour card - Prussian blue was by then out of date - Allied troops discovered the wife of a camp commandant hiding among her huge wardrobe of handtailored clothes and furs, a trousseau from the dead. The first postwar show did produce an unambivalent German fashion at last: the Flickenkleid, a dress patchworked from scraps of fabric and accessorised with a handbag woven from salvaged gas-mask straps."

http://books.guardian.co.uk/reviews/history/0,6121,1317789,00.html

PrettySquareGal

I'll Lock Up
No more posts for me here

I had started this as a happy thread. I hope it still is for all. I just never imagined it would turn into a discussion about Nazi fashion. I really wanted to avoid discussing anything like that here again but it seems like it's not possible.

GOK

One Too Many
PrettySquareGal said:
Can you please elaborate? How did the Third Reich promote the ideal female character? I looked the book up on amazon and this is the overview:

<snip>
So I understand the fashion piece, but I'm not seeing the perfection of character part.

When I have finished reading it, I'd be happy to chat to you about it!

PrettySquareGal said:
When I first read the title I looked it up online. It seems, from some reviews I have read, like a very interesting book as far as historical purposes go. Here's an excerpt from a review: <snipped>

The bit you posted is in the first few pages of the book! It is a very interesting book (so far) and I'd definitely recommend anyone with a sufficient interest to at least borrow it from their library.

Back on topic (but still with books), another pressie I got was a book about Jack Vettriano. I adore his work, whether it is the decadent subjects such as Dance Me To The End Of Love, the hugely erotic The Party Is Over or the hopelessly romantic, Back Where You Belong - his work is evocative, alluring and has so many tales to tell. Anyone else a fan? :D

Folly

One of the Regulars
GOK said:
Back on topic (but still with books), another pressie I got was a book about Jack Vettriano. I adore his work, whether it is the decadent subjects such as Dance Me To The End Of Love, the hugely erotic The Party Is Over or the hopelessly romantic, Back Where You Belong - his work is evocative, alluring and has so many tales to tell. Anyone else a fan? :D

A friend of mine always buys me birthday cards with his work .. she says they are the closest she can find to vintage :)
I do like his work, as does my husband.

GOK

One Too Many
There is a new gallery just opened in our town centre and it has quite a lot of Vettriano...prints of course. In fact, I think those are the only prints among a whole gallery full of originals!

Interesting to read in the book that Vettriano is not considered worthy enough by the Nationals to exhibit him, despite being Scotland's highest earning artist ever! [huh]

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
GOK said:
Well, we all know what Hitler's reign of perfection led to. True he wanted to "create perfection", but with that ideal in his head, he attempted to murder those he deemed not perfect. Millions of people were brutally murdered in his plot for "perfection". It's one thing to want to look good, or even perfect. It's another to model oneself on the ideals of a tyrants reign.

Christopher

New in Town
Sorry to throw this thread a sprocket...

My folks (IE: Father, Step-Mother) Got me a cool 2 foot tall Art Deco pepper grinder. Its not vintage but it certainly looks it. I am most pleased.

Trying to find a picture of it but so far no luck. Its stainless steel top and bottom with glass in the middle showing off the 3 or 4 cups of peppercorns. I am currently looking for a matching one to put sea salt in.

Christmas was most fun!

GOK

One Too Many
Daisy Buchanan said:
Well, we all know what Hitler's reign of perfection led to. True he wanted to "create perfection", but with that ideal in his head, he attempted to murder those he deemed not perfect. Millions of people were brutally murdered in his plot for "perfection". It's one thing to want to look good, or even perfect. It's another to model oneself on the ideals of a tyrants reign.

I wasn't implying I agreed with them - just reporting on the book's content!

griffer

Practically Family
Whoa, Nelly!

On a lighter note-

I had these two things on my Amazon wish list, but nobody got them for me...

Favorite Drink- be sure to read the 880 helpful reviews of this unique beverage

Ideal Transport

But, I did get a Cobra Commander action figure, Cary Grant's style book, some rare CDs, a bag of green army men, and some other cool stuff.

Most interesting has been the reprint of Harry Stephen Keeler's 'Riddle of the Traveling Skull'. Golden Era pulp at it's worst!

CanadaDoll

Practically Family
The book sounds interesting I'll have to read it when I have the time.

We had 'lean' times this year, I use that loosely because I think I did real well, I recieved:
Season 1 of Supernatural, which is my big guilty pleasure.
A really neat hand turned tea pot and cream set.
A clutch made out of 1940's car upholstery vinyl.
A gorgeous casserole in a celadon color.
And some cash to go towards school expenses.

My gift to myself.... a mini dachshund puppy, his name is Tipperary, but we call him Tippy for short.:D :D :D

GOK

One Too Many
CanadaDoll said:
My gift to myself.... a mini dachshund puppy, his name is Tipperary, but we call him Tippy for short.:D :D :D

So if he is a mini dachshund and a puppy, does that mean he is really, really tiny? :D Do you have any pics?

Griffer - am I understanding this correctly? US Amazon sells groceries? BTW, that Badonkadonk is sooo Star Wars, Dahlink! :D

Christopher - the pepper mill sounds great; I'd love to see a photo.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran