Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

what about buffalo fur felt???

Rick Blaine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Sounds like a gimmick

As I understand the matter via a fiber artist friend; hare, rabbit & (especially) beaver are uniquely well suited to the manufacture of felt thanks to the actual physical properties of the hair itself. These hairs apparently abound in small barbs coming off the main hair shaft that, when the creature is alive provide for more efficient insulation, & when the hair is harvested these barbs interlock forming the dense high quality fur felt we are familiar with. This is why (I suppose) wool felt is of lower quality as relates to hat construction than fur.

This is also why, I am told, despite the plentiful amount of pet fur in our house (7 dogs & 7 cats) I do not have the raw materials to create fur felt!
lol

Dixon Cannon

Met an old Gentleman (age 81!) just yesterday in Scottsdale, Arizona who was wearing a Stetson straw and a vest like I often do. We chatted for a bit and he told me his most favorite hat is his Buffalo fur Stetson.

-dixon cannon

bolthead

Bebop said:
I have seen the new buffalo fur Stetsons at and they feel like they are 100% cardboard. I was surprised at the bad quality for around $100.
Sorry to get a bit .....
but,
That's a Beautiful dog you have in your Avatar Bebop, is it yours?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy