Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What about this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oktagon

New in Town
silhouette53 said:
If we were to refrain from wearing any type or style of garment(s) which might conceivably be associated or connected with undesirable or unpleasant factions / persons / groups / events, then I fear our clothing options would become EXTREMELY limited !!

I'd wear that leather coat quite happily and if someone else were to find it objectionable by virtue of some tenuous historical connection, then that would be THEIR problem - NOT mine. [huh]

Absolutly!

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Whooowee! This thread sure took am interesting turn!
I was thinking the original picture looked more like an Aero Barnstormer, or a pre-War motoring coat- more like something Captain Hastings from the Poirot series would wear.

Oktagon

New in Town
Salv said:
I'm left wondering why you asked for other opinions on the coat, since you obviously don't care what people think of it.

My original question had to do with combining this coat and bespoke suits, which I wear to work. It had nothing to do with possible immature associations which are made by people who lack understanding of style when they see leather coats.
I absolutly don't care if 99% of adult polulation have a massive stroke and collapse in seasures when they see a coat (the other 1% being people I actually do care about-relatives, friends, cleaning laddy, tailor, local gastronomer and the like). My main concern is sartorial one.

pablocham

One of the Regulars
"...just the question of potential stigma associated with this type of coat."

Those are your words from the original question. If you want to wear the coat, then wear it. But it seems kind of weird to get upset when people answer your question in the exact way that you already knew they would.

Now you can get back to not caring what other people think.

Salv

One Too Many
Oktagon said:
...My main concern is sartorial one.

Then in that case, since you asked, it fails the test in my opinion. It looks too heavy to wear over a business suit, and black leather isn't a particularly conservative material unless it's used to make a pair of shoes. I can't really think of any time you'd need to wear it either, unless your trip to work involves hanging around on a wet and windy train station platform. It certainly wouldn't be comfortable to wear in large SUV. If you want to make a statement then it's the right coat, but I don't think it's practical for the use you want to put it to.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Well, another reference people might have is the Matrix.

I might wear a leather trench coat, but probably not with a suit. I would wear it with more casual but still sharp stiff, or maybe a grey wool turtleneck.

I think it would look a bit odd over a suit myself, but if you like it, enjoy.

Interestingly, while the ss association is accurate, it was ommon wear in colder climates of the time, especially in Germany and eastern europe, probably through the sixties or seventies. I might even think it would not be completely out of place in a German business office today, but I could be wrong. It was never very popular in the US as an overcoat, and will always have an association that is either Gestapo, or as kind of bad boy, Shaft or something like that.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
I can't really think of any time you'd need to wear it either, unless your trip to work involves hanging around on a wet and windy train station platform.

Certainly no offense intended to original poster. But I gotta say, this is funny. The over wear of yesteryears was intended for a lot of conditions we do not face today so they might not seem or be appropriate or make sense to wear. I agree that in the US, leater is not seen as a traditional or conservative dressy material in an overcoat. If you want to look flashy in an elegant way, then I think it would work. You would look great. But if you are in a conservative business envoronment, it would be looked at askance.

Beautiful coat, but the way. I would totally wear it.

Salv

One Too Many
reetpleat said:
Certainly no offense intended to original poster. But I gotta say, this is funny. The over wear of yesteryears was intended for a lot of conditions we do not face today so they might not seem or be appropriate or make sense to wear.

I meant in reference to the use to which Oktagon wants to put the coat i.e. as an overcoat worn over a business suit - if he drives to work it would not be practical to wear a coat like that. He'd go from house to car and from car park to office and it's not practical to wear inside a car - far too bulky for comfort, even in large SUV, and he'd overheat quite quickly. Public transport is another matter, although he'd have the same problems with bulk and warmth on a crowded commuter train or bus. Do you catch a train or bus to work Oktagon?

Outside of the use which he has said he wants from it there are plenty of opportunities to wear such a coat.

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Salv said:
I meant in reference to the use to which Oktagon wants to put the coat i.e. as an overcoat worn over a business suit - if he drives to work it would not be practical to wear a coat like that. He'd go from house to car and from car park to office and it's not practical to wear inside a car - far too bulky for comfort, even in large SUV, and he'd overheat quite quickly. Public transport is another matter, although he'd have the same problems with bulk and warmth on a crowded commuter train or bus. Do you catch a train or bus to work Oktagon?

Outside of the use which he has said he wants from it there are plenty of opportunities to wear such a coat.

Oh, sorry. Your phrase conjured up images of vintage movies of people getting splattered in mud and standing on windy wet train stations as they shipped off to the war or got away one step ahead of the Nazis.

Of course, being from Seattle, I forget that people in the US still commute and are out in the weather on a regular basis, and have to face snow and wind and not just a lot of rain.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
All this talk about train platforms reminds me of stuff I've read from time to time about life in a police state - how there were always a couple of men in leather coats standing at every station, keeping an eye on the comings and goings of the populace. The uniform and the job became inseparable.

(It didn't hurt that most of the countries where the coat was customarily worn actually were, at one time or another, police states...).

Oktagon

New in Town
Salv said:

I drive to the office and park in the basement garage, BUT I frequently spend allot of time outside on the crime scenes and accident sites.
While driving I always remove my topcoat as well as suit jacket and place them on the back seat, but once I arrive I wear both. In fact I asways button (or in this case fasten:)) my topcoat. My fedora usually sits on the front seat, unless off course the seat is occupied by my better halve.

As to the later comments about "people in the leather trenches watching the train platforms" this is a myth created by Hollywood. It is rather simple. These coates were never "standard issue" and they were expensive. The personnel refered to is on the very bottom of the food chain in the any EPSSO (Evil Police State Security Organization) and simply could not afford to by these coats, which by the way were frequently bespoke, like mine.

__________________________________________________ _______________
Political correctness will end the western civilization!
I drive large SUV, carry firearms, hunt Bamby and don't recycle.

Oktagon said:
Would you wear this coat over a buisness suit in relatively conservative office? There are no potential issues with managment, since I am a member of Sr. Staff, just the question of potential stigma associated with this type of coat.

Above is Oktagon's original question to us all. In fact, it is the single purpose of this thread.

Here is my answer to your question, Oktagon. If I were a man, I would not wear this coat in a relatively conservative office, because I believe that it does carry a stigma, and I wouldn't want that stigma to potentially hurt my career.

Should this exact overcoat carry a stigma? In my opinion, no. As you and others have pointed out, it is not the same as a military issue SS overcoat. However, this is a difference that few people are aware of. Most will look at it and think of evil Nazis. Indeed, the evil Nazi character "Toht" wore your very same style of overcoat in RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. Hence, the people you work with will judge you according to this stigma. Only you can decide if this overcoat is worth the trouble it may cause you.

Oktagon

New in Town
Veronica Parra said:
Above is Oktagon's original question to us all. In fact, it is the single purpose of this thread.

Here is my answer to your question, Oktagon. If I were a man, I would not wear this coat in a relatively conservative office, because I believe that it does carry a stigma, and I wouldn't want that stigma to potentially hurt my career.

Should this exact overcoat carry a stigma? In my opinion, no. As you and others have pointed out, it is not the same as a military issue SS overcoat. However, this is a difference that few people are aware of. Most will look at it and think of evil Nazis. Indeed, the evil Nazi character "Toht" wore your very same style of overcoat in RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK. Hence, the people you work with will judge you according to this stigma. Only you can decide if this overcoat is worth the trouble it may cause you.

Well, you see I don't believe that careers depend on the overcoat one wears to the office. I am the living proof of that. I have been wearing this coat for a while, and I have never had any issues raised by the superiors. The only people who tend to comment on my attire are my employees, and even then once I find out about it, I deal with it appropriately.
I detest sheeple and individuals making the judjments based on the politically incorrect nature of the overcoat shurely belong to the former.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Oktagon said:
Well, you see I don't believe that careers depend on the overcoat one wears to the office. I am the living proof of that. I have been wearing this coat for a while, and I have never had any issues raised by the superiors. The only people who tend to comment on my attire are my employees, and even then once I find out about it, I deal with it appropriately.
I detest sheeple and individuals making the judjments based on the politically incorrect nature of the overcoat shurely belong to the former.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

You may detest all you like...but it does not alter the fact, that you can never, ever control what people think of you. Of your clothes and the signals they send.
But if you dont care what other people think, you can wear anything...

You asked our oppinion and you got it. And I think this group of people is pretty well of when it comes to style, dressing and history.

Oktagon

New in Town
Spitfire said:
And I think this group of people is pretty well of when it comes to style, dressing and history.

Well.... based on some photos of the members I have seen I am not so sure, but I degress.
As I mentioned previously my interestin this duscussion is purely sartorial one. I discuss history and politics elsewear, and believe me it is not internet forum. What I learned from this discussion confirms my initial interpretation of this coat: it is a great looking tailored coat which can be worn with suit (although it might be slightly too dashing), but some morons may make stupid historical associations. I hate morons, and the quicker they show, the quicker I can find a reason to fire them and rid my life of haveing to deal with them.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
Oktagon said:
Well.... based on some photos of the members I have seen I am not so sure, but I degress.
As I mentioned previously my interestin this duscussion is purely sartorial one. I discuss history and politics elsewear, and believe me it is not internet forum. What I learned from this discussion confirms my initial interpretation of this coat: it is a great looking tailored coat which can be worn with suit (although it might be slightly too dashing), but some morons may make stupid historical associations. I hate morons, and the quicker they show, the quicker I can find a reason to fire them and rid my life of haveing to deal with them.

Ok Oktagon - so I am a moron. :eusa_clap
As a moron I still wonder why you put up the question in the first place, if you only want to listen to yourself. And I also think you have a pretty good idear if the coat gets too bulky or too hot on top of your suit. You dont need this lounge to tell you that. Just smell your armpits.
Enjoy your coat! And happy hollidays.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Wear it in good health & Happy Xmas.

<quote>Would you wear this coat over a buisness suit in relatively conservative office? There are no potential issues with managment, since I am a member of Sr. Staff, just the question of potential stigma associated with this type of coat.<end quote>.

Just back from a four day delay due to fog over the UK so catching up here quickly gents.

Firstly...GREAT JACKET, thanks for sharing it and a good time of year to be wearing it too if you're in the northern hemisphere :eusa_clap

To address your questions...

1) Yes, I'd wear that jacket. Maybe a bit warm to wear 'in' the office, but smart and warm looking jacket to wear 'to and from' the office.

2) I see no problems with stigma, as there isn't any, all it is, is a great looking jacket. (any negative associations seems to be a problem that lies with others who make those dark associations, not with the jacket. It's just a nice jacket. HONEST!)

To sum up, it's a cracking looking wee piece of hide and some great suggestions by the gents here on accessories such as a nice charcoal Fedora with a wide Grosgrain to wear with it. So wear it in good health.

3) Thanks gents for all the positive suggestions regarding the jacket and helping the lucky owner make an informed decision, I think there's not much more to add really :).

Look forward to seeing photos of it 6 months down the line when it's developed some wear and tear!

4) Happy Christmas gents wherever in the world you spend it!!

Hope santa's good to you with some great looking jackets :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80