Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What about this one?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Oktagon

New in Town
516230.jpg
Would you wear this coat over a buisness suit in relatively conservative office? There are no potential issues with managment, since I am a member of Sr. Staff, just the question of potential stigma associated with this type of coat.
516228.jpg

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
I don't see anything "wrong" with it anyway! It's a nice leather jacket. What could possibly be the potential "problem"?[huh]

Flitcraft

One Too Many
Wear it, Man!
I've got one thats very similar. Often wear it with a medium gray chalk striped suit- looks great!

Oktagon

New in Town
I wear it with all shades of gray and navy pinstripe suits. I partilarly like it with charcoal three piece peaked lapel suit by Fallan&Harvy. I wear dark grey fedora by Gladhatter with it.
One thing which I am still not sure about is weather the coat is horcehide ot cow? I have modern horsehides from Aero and they feel very different. I don't have any vontage horsehides to compare.

I resent the assosiation with Gestapo by the way.

pablocham

One of the Regulars
You may resent the reference to the gestapo all you like, but I think that is the first thing most americans will think of when they see that coat. If you are in any kind of management type position you should probably get ready to be referred to as either Goebbels or Colonel Klink.

Fatdutchman

Practically Family
"...that is the first thing most Americans will think of when they see that coat." Eh, most Americans are morons, screw 'em.:fing28: It's a nice lookin' coat (where did you get it, by the way?). Wear it and feel good!:D

Oktagon

New in Town
The stigma I was refering to is indeed assotiating full length leather top coats with faschism. The reference is as stupid as it is offensive. I was born in Eastern Europe and my family members have actually died fighting faschism. I hate political correctness, and wearing something that looks good will make it even more plesant if I offend some idiot while doing it.

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
I have to admit that the Gestapo were a very dashing group of murderous scum. Nce coat but without all the muder it simply loses all it's charm.

Oktagon

New in Town
MudInYerEye said:
I have to admit that the Gestapo were a very dashing group of murderous scum. Nce coat but without all the muder it simply loses all it's charm.

I disagree with your last statement.
By the way, Gestapo never had its own uniforms. They were part of the SS and wore standard SS uniforms. Black in the "pece time" or in the rear and gray in the fiels and on the front.

Spitfire

I'll Lock Up
OK, I guesse I was the guy who started this. First of all, it was meant to be a joke!

But then again, since it has come this far:
If you - unaided - should mention the one item/garment, that pops up by the word GESTAPO - what would that be?

Grey socks....???? C'mon!:D

MudInYerEye

Practically Family
Oktagon said:
I disagree with your last statement.
By the way, Gestapo never had its own uniforms. They were part of the SS and wore standard SS uniforms. Black in the "pece time" or in the rear and gray in the fiels and on the front.

Thanks prof, but I already knew that. Gestapo is just a lot more fun to say or write than boring old ss. It practically rolls off the tongue. Gestapo gestapo gestapo.

Oktagon

New in Town
MudInYerEye said:
Thanks prof, but I already knew that. Gestapo is just a lot more fun to say or write than boring old ss. It practically rolls off the tongue. Gestapo gestapo gestapo.

Is this supposed to be funny? :rolleyes:

silhouette53

One of the Regulars
WEAR IT AND SMILE

If we were to refrain from wearing any type or style of garment(s) which might conceivably be associated or connected with undesirable or unpleasant factions / persons / groups / events, then I fear our clothing options would become EXTREMELY limited !!

I'd wear that leather coat quite happily and if someone else were to find it objectionable by virtue of some tenuous historical connection, then that would be THEIR problem - NOT mine. [huh]

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Look It's the "Gestapo" Family!

http://www.leathercoatsetc.com/detail.aspx?ID=85

2003MLC_blk_026.jpg

Seeing this leads me to conclude that the coat is ok as long as it has no style. If the cut is scaled up from doll clothes and the lines and fit are all messy and unattractive, hey! It's fine for the whole family.

Can you picture this ad with all the family wearing elegantly cut and tasteful copies of Oktagon's coat? I can't. Here's why: Today's average consumer, I suspect, cannot define or appreciate style, but s/he can recognize it – only it means something other than style. Something s/he may interpret as a character trait, a "feeling" about someone, a "taste in the mouth."

A family in really elegant leathers would look strange to hi/r, like some kind of perv-o freaks. S/he would be wondering whether to call Child Welfare to check on the kid.

The problem, if I'm right, is style, and how people without style react to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart