Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What about Towncraft???

Seeing the same XXX Quality stamp on Towncraft and Marathon hats. Lee made Towncraft and Marathon . Did one replace the other, or did they exist simultaneously in the 50’s - 60’s - beyond? So many questions.

There are a lot of 60s Marathons out there, so they must have existed simultaneously. I don't know why they had a second line, but there seem to be far fewer Towncrafts.

Granville

One of the Regulars
The rare, elusive TownCraft. In hibernation since '77, the year I graduated high school, this specimen is free of moth damage and remarkably clean. The satin liner shows some soiling, and it was definitely worn for at least a short while. But the sweat is pliable, the felt supple. An understated feather peeks from the bow. Besides the factory tag, there is a hand-written (blue ink) sticker under the lining with blocking number and size. I usually snip out the plastic covering the logo, but after a wipe with some alcohol (it came away clean) I've decided to leave this one in. By the seventies, nobody was using Brylcreem anymore (a little dab will do ya).
2" brim, 2" grosgrain ribbon, edged with ribbon.
Just for confusion's sake, it came in a Marathon box. I can see the moment in the JC Penney store.
"Don't I get a box?"
"Oh, uh, sure" (scrambles in back room). "Here ya go!"
A rich brown indoors, it reveals olive green tones in the sunlight. This first pic shows the "brown" personality. The two pics at the end hint at its "olive" side.
TC tilt.jpeg
TC factoryTagPrice.jpeg
TC Liner Logo.jpeg
TC sweat logo.jpeg
TC sweat xxx.jpeg
image0-5.jpeg
TCraft1.jpg
TCheadshot.jpeg

Some random thoughts:

Lee (who made Marathon Hats for Penny's) was bought by Stetson in 1960. Stetson was looking to close out the factory and brand around 1964-1965.

I wonder if Penny's decided at that time to drop their Marathon hats line and re-brand/integrate them into their already existing "Towncraft" clothing line?

So we would see early 60's Marathons transition to Towncraft by mid-60's. Possibly made by Stetson but more likely going with HatCo for the Towncraft line.......

I have a Towncraft Strat/OR XXX that is pretty well made.....will be posting.

Here is a Grey Towncraft Stratoliner/Open Road clone.

This one has 5.5 inch crown by 2 1/2 in bound brim. Marked XXX the felt is thin, dense and not stiff in any way. I did flatten the flange of the brim out a bit leaving an upturn of the binding at the edge.....

The sweat is a nice supple roan.

I took it and placed it on a 51 block to brush and steam the hand done "rancher" crease out and gave it a good general cleaning.

I put in a simple deep center crease.....no pinches.

I think it came out great.....
1671053115800.png
1671053237049.png
1671053148196.png

While it was on the block....
1671053360024.png

The insides.......
1671053447044.png
1671053486770.png
1671053907225.png
1671053949075.png
Marathon.jpg
And one more that shows the new flange a little better.........
1671054083262.png

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112