Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What about vintage style DONT you like?

Snookie

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
I can't stand stretch fabrics when it comes to pants. They may have improved fit, but they do not flatter most figures (espcially when people insist on buying their clothing too small ;) )

Eh, people will be people! Everyone wants to think they're smaller than they are. I hate stretch jeans, legging, etc. too, since they encourage people to wear skintight clothes. But I love woven fabrics that have just 1%-5% spandex in them, it forgives just enough, and sometimes adds fantastic weight/body to the fabric. I love fabric with a nice drape too it (those hem weights that magneto was talking about can to great things too)!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I avoid all pants and most skirts that have even a bit of stretch to them; they just don't flatter my build like pants made out of non-stretch fabric do [huh] I think the worst thing about modern clothing, in regards to pants, is that it is nearly impossible to find a pair of pants cut small enough to fit my waist, as well as my hips. I am sick of trying on pants (and this includes those with stretch), that fit my rear and gape 2-3 inches in the waist. :mad: Now, 1940s pants fit like a dream--nice and narrow through the waist, with fuller hips and beautiful wide, straight legs :)

Caledonia

Practically Family
Oh how I wish I had a decent waist! I'm kind of your inverted pyramid right down to the fact that a size that fits the hips and is supposed to skim the thighs might as well be wide leg on me, almost :) And I agree about stretchy fabrics. Don't suit me at all. Nice firm fabric that keeps everything in place is best :D

Snookie

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
I avoid all pants and most skirts that have even a bit of stretch to them; they just don't flatter my build like pants made out of non-stretch fabric do [huh] I think the worst thing about modern clothing, in regards to pants, is that it is nearly impossible to find a pair of pants cut small enough to fit my waist, as well as my hips. I am sick of trying on pants (and this includes those with stretch), that fit my rear and gape 2-3 inches in the waist. :mad: Now, 1940s pants fit like a dream--nice and narrow through the waist, with fuller hips and beautiful wide, straight legs :)

I have that EXACT same problem! (makes sense, since I saw on your website that our measurements are practically identical! ;) ) I always seek out straight legged pants too. Makes me wonder if those pants fall off girls with small hips. (maybe that's why they buy their pants too tight!!)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I've always had this problem (this is probably why I now prefer dresses:rolleyes:), but the issue became much worse with the low-rise trend! I can't find a good pair of pants (never mind jeans) anymore, though I do have good luck with New York & Co--their City Crepe line usually fits me very well.

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I like modern pants much better. I'm petite , so all the vintage clothes I've tried on have all been for way taller women, and with , well, compared to me, an exagerated hourglass shape.
Children have helped the waist problem incredibly! I had NO waist before kids, but after my first, I finally got a more 'womanly' shape :)

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
with , well, compared to me, an exagerated hourglass shape.

Don't forget--women wore foundation garments underneath their clothing, which accounts for the very narrow waistlines (especially in a lot 1950s clothing, as the hourglass figure was *the* look to have.) Foundation garments like waist cinchers were worn to nip and exaggerate your natural waistline, which explains some of those very tiny-waisted dresses you come across in your shopping travels ;)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
I love those very tiny-waisted dresses! They give an all around incredible look....I've also just bought myself a girdle and love it, I really do see a difference with my dresses with it underneath.

maisie

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:

I know what you mean! Because I'm tall the high waisted pants just flow (but they have to be long anough, otherwise they look stupid!!:eek: ) So I much prefere the style, plus cause they are loose they don't cling to the tops of my legs and make them look like tree trunks!!:rage:

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thats a real big difference

Of vintage and modern clothing. Vintage clothing (womens in general) were cut for a body wearing foundation garments. Its the house dresses that were for lounging (and see how they always looked like tents ;) ) and modern clothing favors a natural body/waste.

LD

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
Of vintage and modern clothing. Vintage clothing (womens in general) were cut for a body wearing foundation garments. Its the house dresses that were for lounging (and see how they always looked like tents ) and modern clothing favors a natural body/waste.

I actually have several house dresses from the 30s-40s, and have to say that the waistlines are just as trim as day and evening dresses; a couple of these dresses are belted as well.

And I actually find today's clothing to be a lot more generous then it needs to be in the waist (and for quite a few seasons, pants and skirts didn't even come to the wearer's natural waist--the waist was actually fitting around the hips); I suppose this relates in part to the changing of our bodies. However, when your natural waist is quite small, it makes finding clothing that fits a real pain:mad: Luckily, vintage clothing solves this issue quite easily ;)

Caledonia

Practically Family
Yes, the patterns I have for house dresses and house coats, right through to the early 50s are all very tailored. That's what I love about them. :)

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
I actually have several house dresses from the 30s-40s, and have to say that the waistlines are just as trim as day and evening dresses; a couple of these dresses are belted as well.

And I actually find today's clothing to be a lot more generous then it needs to be in the waist (and for quite a few seasons, pants and skirts didn't even come to the wearer's natural waist--the waist was actually fitting around the hips); I suppose this relates in part to the changing of our bodies. However, when your natural waist is quite small, it makes finding clothing that fits a real pain:mad: Luckily, vintage clothing solves this issue quite easily ;)

I SO understand what you mean I have a very difficult figure to fit into todays clothes. Like you I suffer the hour-glass problems, I have a small build, a big bust, small waist and big hips so find it really hard to get anything that doesn't gape at the waist. I often have buttons popping open on shirts too!!!!lol
I went through a phase lately where I just got really down that nothing would fit me, and then my lovely vintage dealer found me a BEAUTIFUL crepe 40's dress with matching bolero jacket that fits like a glove......
The only thing that I don't like about vintage clothing is that there isn't more of it about!!!!!!

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
Wow, I didn't know there were so many San Francisco ladies on this board!

One thing that I don’t like about wearing vintage – and this has nothing to do with the clothing itself – is that a lot of my coworkers are under the false impression that they’re in a position to critique my outfits. It drives me crazy!

My favorite is the compliment that is a little insulting: “Now, I almost like what you’re wearing today.” What the heck kind of compliment is that?

I also don't like the constant, "LUCY, I'M HOME" comments yelled from cars as I walk down the street!

JustJen

Familiar Face
It's the smell....

...that gets me with vintage clothes. It doesn't matter who it comes from, it's always the same smell. The exceptions are those that I purchase from people that have actually worn them. Those are almost always in ready to wear condition.

When I get a new item, I have to either wash it (in a garment bag so it doesn't wrap around the agitator)immediately or let it hang out in the garage for about a week. Then it moves into my laundry room to absorb some of the lavendar/vanilla smelll and then finally I can wear it.......

I think I probably don't want to know the answer to this but.....does anyone know why old clothes smell like they do?

Jen

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Yuckie storage means yuckie clothes.

JustJen said:
I think I probably don't want to know the answer to this but.....does anyone know why old clothes smell like they do?
Jen

Sometimes they are actually moldy. Most old clothes that I have come across are not properly stored and are just folded and put in a trunk, bag, closet with no air circulation of any kind.

Or have been worn and not cleaned before storage. Yuck.

LD

JustJen

Familiar Face
lol....I think I'm relieved....I was actually thinking it was something like (pardon the visual on this one) dead skin that's flaked off into the fabric or something, similar to dust mites in beds.........think I've been watching too much Discovery Channel lately.....I would've immediately fallen out of my chair and taken up smoking again......

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well. . . .

JustJen said:
lol....I think I'm relieved....I was actually thinking it was something like (pardon the visual on this one) dead skin that's flaked off into the fabric or something, similar to dust mites in beds.........think I've been watching too much Discovery Channel lately.....I would've immediately fallen out of my chair and taken up smoking again......

Mold IS alive, and youre not too far off from what the Discovery channel said :D Dust contains a lot of dead skin.

LD

LolitaHaze

Call Me a Cab
Rebecca D said:
I also don't like the constant, "LUCY, I'M HOME" comments yelled from cars as I walk down the street!

I got that in Minnesota once. I was wearing a green dress that has a flaired skirt, a teddybear fur wrap, and a black hat. I suppose they meant it as an insult, but I just smiled and continued on my way... :)

I find it takes the power out of an insult, if the people think you don't get it or if you don't care.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff