Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What about vintage style DONT you like?

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
panty hose and undergarments. Although I did finally get a girdle, and I love it! The only other thing I could think of is looking through books at some of the hats, some were pretty out there, though I would take those to what I see going on with women's heads these days!

Rebecca D

One of the Regulars
I loathe high heels and refuse to wear them. I also refuse to wear stockings, pantyhose, girdles, corsets, etc… I feel restricted very easily, and after about 2 minutes in stockings I begin pulling them off. I put on a girdle once and felt like I was going to pass out! Never again!

I swear by flats and oxfords, which makes some vintage clothing out of the question for me. I will, however, wear a slight wedge, so I can get away with most looks.

One thing I really dislike about wearing vintage is the constant threat of the San Francisco wind blowing up my darn dress! Anyone else have that problem? Try taking a walk in a circle skirt down Market at Civic Center; you’ll be horrified!

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
magneto said:
I guess I can say this in the Powder Room--undergarments that come all the way up to your "natural waist" which for me is about an inch below my ribcage! :(
Hurrah for stockings...I am *not* the barelegged type and can't stand nylon pantyhose at all...it's like a giant nonbreathable polyester straightjacket from the waist down. lol

I'm with you on both counts. When I try to do earlier periods it's ridiculous because I have about an inch below my ribs. It makes hourglass impossible for me, even with a corset, so I get to be the one that needs hip and bust pads to pull off any era other than 20's and 30's. :(

maisie

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
Well, to be honest, there really isn't anything about modern clothing that I find to be better then vintage clothing. The only advantage a good reproduction has is that you don't have to worry as much about it falling apart/ripping under stress (say, on the dance floor.)

I totally agree 1940s clothing was made so much better and was made to LAST! Something you don't hear alot today, sometimes you wear things once and then there ruined!!:rage:
I do think they only thing about vintage clothes is how fragile there are, but there is nothing else I can fault!:eusa_clap
I also hate tights (or pantyhose as you call them!:) ) as i have to wear them everyday, even in the summer:eek: , so i much prefere stockings!:D

Rosie

One Too Many
Circle skirts and the wind

:mad: :eek: I get irritated many a day when strolling down the street and all of a sudden, I have to grab my skirt down around my thighs. I really, really get bothered by this. I was thinking of getting a smallish crinoline and maybe straight pinning the skirt to it so that when the wind blows, all of me is not showing along with it. I'm not sure how well this will work though.

decodoll

Practically Family
Rebecca D said:
One thing I really dislike about wearing vintage is the constant threat of the San Francisco wind blowing up my darn dress! Anyone else have that problem? Try taking a walk in a circle skirt down Market at Civic Center; you’ll be horrified!

I used to work on Post between Powell and Mason. I think that's the windiest spot in the entire city! Luckily, I don't wear too many circle skirts. :) You have to be careful going down the escalator in BART as a train is coming into the station too! lol I wouldn't really say that was so much a vintage problem, though, as a skirt problem. :)

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Oh I agree

Rebecca D said:
I loathe high heels and refuse to wear them. I also refuse to wear stockings, pantyhose, girdles, corsets, etc… I feel restricted very easily, and after about 2 minutes in stockings I begin pulling them off. I put on a girdle once and felt like I was going to pass out! Never again!

I swear by flats and oxfords, which makes some vintage clothing out of the question for me. I will, however, wear a slight wedge, so I can get away with most looks.

I hate heels too!! I do however like all the retro shoosies that are coming out with no or a very small heels. I wear a lot of ballet flats. Stockings Im with you on that too, so I have a lot of knee high socks. I want to start wearking skirts again, but I dont like sips! So Im making some cotton pantaloons, and wearing mens boxers is a great alternative.

Man down town SF is a windy place. I had a flower in my hair walking down Market/ Civic center, and I thought it was gonna rip out and blow away.

The plus side to all the wind is I like to wear real long airy scarves, and when I cross the street, and they blow all over the place, I know that looks cool. :D

LD

magneto

Practically Family
decodoll said:
I used to work on Post between Powell and Mason. I think that's the windiest spot in the entire city! Luckily, I don't wear too many circle skirts. :) ....

Oh yes! I used to walk from Castro down to Civic Center every day...I wear a lot of pencil skirts.
Y'know, they sell those "ball chains" for sewing into your curtain hems (and I think they show up in Chanel suits) to make the fabric lie down and flat. Maybe I should try that ;)

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Lauren Henline said:
I'm with you on both counts. When I try to do earlier periods it's ridiculous because I have about an inch below my ribs. It makes hourglass impossible for me, even with a corset, so I get to be the one that needs hip and bust pads to pull off any era other than 20's and 30's. :(

Whew, I've thought all these years it was just me that has this problem -- nice to know I'm not alone. Women just don't seem to be built the way they used to be.

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I have the opposite problem--I am long-waisted. Most garments fit just fine, but occasionally I will run across a fabulous piece that is just too short-waisted for me!
I have an hourglass build, and I can not do 1920s clothing at all [huh]

maisie

Practically Family
jitterbugdoll said:
I have the opposite problem--I am long-waisted. Most garments fit just fine, but occasionally I will run across a fabulous piece that is just too short-waisted for me!
I have an hourglass build, and I can not do 1920s clothing at all [huh]

I'm the same, I have an hourglass shape, which i think is very good when wearing padded shoulders (a la 40's!) with nipped in waists! I can't how ever do the 20's clothing as the dresses end up being to snug!!:mad:
I'm also long-waisted and it is always some thing fabulous that comes along and doesn't fit!!

jitterbugdoll

Call Me a Cab
I'm the same, I have an hourglass shape, which i think is very good when wearing padded shoulders (a la 40's!) with nipped in waists! I can't how ever do the 20's clothing as the dresses end up being to snug!!

I have found ones that fit, but they do not flatter, as they are meant for someone who is straighter though the waist. Tailored outfits work best for me :)

mysterygal

Call Me a Cab
oh me too...there are certain things that you just get excited about, then looking at the price tag, totally deflates the whole moment.:mad:

Naama

Practically Family
Now, I really thought long about that one..... I think my biggest problems are in the price ( :D ) and the fragility (I'm into 20's and early 30's). But besides this, it must be the pants! In those wide legged tap pants (I hope that's the right word? Over here we'd call them Marlene pant's ;) ) I look way too short and fat! And while my legs look almost skinny in thight pants, they make me look fat :rage:

Naama

Snookie

Practically Family
My favorite thing about modern clothes:
all the knits and stretch fabrics. It's easier to achieve a flattering line with clothes off the rack if they don't need to be tailored to precisely your measurements. I also like the extra movement they allow. (Although stretch fabrics do encourage bad posture, unfortunately.)

I also agree with LizzieMaine that wash-and-wear is the way to go!

Caledonia

Practically Family
I've got to go with high waisted trousers. While I love the 30s/40s high waist look, and I'm quite straight through the waist and hip so it works well, the high waist makes my bust look like my granny's, so I prefer the modern (well actually, the 20's) low waist. But definitely not hipster with muffin top and half a bare bottom hanging out the back - yuck :eek: For vintage high waist I either don't add the waistband or do a shaped waist band that sits low over my belly button (the preferred option). It doesn't really change the overall shape of the trouser and also works really well for 50s capris. And I like plastic zips over metal ones for more delicate fabrics or shapes.:) And I detest rayon! :D

Lady Day

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
For me, thats one reason I started wearning more vintage

jitterbugdoll said:
I can't stand stretch fabrics when it comes to pants. They may have improved fit, but they do not flatter most figures (espcially when people insist on buying their clothing too small ;) )

I HATE all the streatch materials in clothes. Its impossible to get an acruate size fit. So I said **ck it, Ill make my own crap. Now I have get cotton blouses without spandex in them and know how theyre gonna fit.

LD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou