Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are the Most Popular Leather Jacket Brands on TFL?

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think it takes more experience to assess a vintage jacket's quality, condition, size and asking price than buying new. Also, when new into the jacket game I wouldn't want to wait one or two years for that d-pocket or half belt in my size to pop up on eBay, only to lose the auction because I misjudged the current market prices.
Vintage jacket market fluctuates, particularly in rare models. I not taking used jackets here but the 50s MC jackets and the 30s to 50s half belts and aviation jackets. Most are not sold at auction but with a BIN. My recent expenditure for vintage is about the same as the price of near new contemporaries like LW and higher than a near new Aero, Scott, or Vanson.
And yes it takes patience and time but the reward is worth the effort. I have been hurting vintage leather jackets for 25 years and have about 25 vintage jackets or one jacket per year. The only time they get sold is if I buy a similar jacket to replace one in the collection sort of a trade or upgrade maybe size or condition

Last edited:

Coriu

One Too Many
So far, 56 people have responded

Top 10 Points Leaders

1. Aero-69
2. Vanson-38
3. Schott-33
4. Lost Worlds-17
5(tie). Thedi and Cal Leathers-16
7(tie). Eastman/ELMC and Real McCoy’s-13
9(tie). Goodwear and Brooks-10

The next 6
Field Leathers, Freewheelers and Himel-7
Buco, JL and Levi’s -6

Last edited:

Coriu

One Too Many
Vintage jacket market fluctuates, particularly in rare models. I not taking used jackets here but the 50s MC jackets and the 30s to 50s half belts and aviation jackets. Most are not sold at auction but with a BIN. My recent expenditure for vintage is about the same as the price of near new contemporaries like LW and higher than a near new Aero, Scott, or Vanson.
And yes it takes patience and time but the reward is worth the effort. I have been doing hurting vintage leather jackets for 25 years and have about 25 vintage jackets or one jacket per year. The only time they get sold if I buy a similar jacket to replace one in the collection sort of a trade or upgrade maybe size or condition

Just had an interesting thought. 25-50 years from now...if all of the new jackets people are buying now still look relatively new, will there be a market for them? In other words, what would be the allure of a vintage jacket if it looks brand new and/or stiff?

I ask this question because with so many people having 20+ jackets, I cannot imagine these new jackets getting very much wear time. Back in the 50's, the average Joe likely owned 1 jacket that got a lot of use. So, that same jacket today looks like a vintage jacket.

Last edited:

Coriu

One Too Many
The following 20 Loungers have 20 or more leather jackets in their closets. I have added the approximate number of jackets owned by each. Anyone else out their belong to this elite club?

kingb-200+
tmitchell59-around 125
photo2u-112
mysteryo-around 70
tusche-57
rgcards-42
marc mndt-40+

jonbuilder-38
jmax-36
technovox and nickelman2005-30
salmosalar-29

coriu-28
toomanyhatsonlyonehead-26
mandarin-25

flying monkey-24
yamahana-23
jonesy86-22
red devil-20+

carlos840 ??-need to find the old post to see if he gave a number

Coriu

One Too Many
I could say the say think about women's jewelry and weddings. I estimate my jackets represent 20K to 25K about half what we spent on our daughter's one-day Wedding party. I will at some time sell off half of my collection but not now

But jewelry and weddings are "essential" costs, unlike our frivolous leather jackets.:rolleyes: A little advice for young, single men...do NOT engage your wife/fiance in philosophical discussions along these lines. Just DON'T do it. The result can be VERY ugly.:eek: Many thousands of men can attest to this.

Yamahana

One Too Many
But jewelry and weddings are "essential" costs, unlike our frivolous leather jackets.:rolleyes: A little advice for young, single men...do NOT engage your wife/fiance in philosophical discussions along these lines. Just DON'T do it. The result can be VERY ugly.:eek: Many thousands of men can attest to this.
AMEN! And don’t forget shoes. :)

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The following 20 Loungers have 20 or more leather jackets in their closets. I have added the approximate number of jackets owned by each. Anyone else out their belong to this elite club?

kingb-200+
tmitchell59-around 125
photo2u-112
mysteryo-around 70
tusche-57
rgcards-42
marc mndt-40+

jonbuilder-38
jmax-36
technovox and nickelman2005-30
salmosalar-29

coriu-28
toomanyhatsonlyonehead-26
mandarin-25

flying monkey-24
yamahana-23
jonesy86-22
red devil-20+

carlos840 ??-need to find the old post to see if he gave a number
Where is Guppy he must have 30 jackets

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
In other words, what would be the allure of a vintage jacket if it looks brand new and/or stiff?

Why do you think today's jackets won't have an awesome vintage look 25-50 years from now?

This chp is probably from the 80s (it doesn't have a maker's tag so I'm not sure) so probably about 35 years old. I would call that a 'modern vintage'. Leather looks pretty awesome right?

46E26E94-E047-403C-B45F-E3D9E6A8B70A.jpeg

Or this full aniline Shinki Field Leathers which is less than a year old and it's already developing some nice grain.

533315A4-0A09-4C52-89C9-814040F46F4A.jpeg
906ACD6A-765F-491D-A052-48C446079940.jpeg

Khilij

One of the Regulars
Here is a thread I think is a good read alongside this one:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/favorite-jacket-owned-or-dreamed-of.101370/

Do our “favorites” match up with what’s in the closet? :rolleyes:
I think my one jacket does. I got a Vanson Chopper in Comp Weight because the shoulder quilting reminded me of a British motorcycle jacket my Grandfather used to wear. I can't afford to buy new jackets often because of my Grad Student budget, but to be quite honest, I'm not sure I want to. I'm very much happy with my one. Will that change in the future? Maybe. I've currently pooled together my money with my parents got to order a Vanson Oxford in their Brandy Vista leather for my Older Brother's birthday, but that's not for me. For now, I'm rather happy where I am.

Coriu

One Too Many
Why do you think today's jackets won't have an awesome vintage look 25-50 years from now?

This chp is probably from the 80s (it doesn't have a maker's tag so I'm not sure) so probably about 35 years old. I would call that a 'modern vintage'. Leather looks pretty awesome right?

View attachment 350542

Or this full aniline Shinki Field Leathers which is less than a year old and it's already developing some nice grain.

View attachment 350541 View attachment 350543

When I was formulating the question, I was thinking of someone who buys a new, heavy horsehide leather jacket today, ie Lost Worlds, and wears it a couple of times a year(not to ride-just walk around) over the next 25 years. The rest of the time, it is hanging in a closet not exposed to light.

Last edited:

Coriu

One Too Many
Here is a thread I think is a good read alongside this one:
https://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/favorite-jacket-owned-or-dreamed-of.101370/

Do our “favorites” match up with what’s in the closet? :rolleyes:

When I created this thread, I was thinking ahead to this very question? OK, here is what people own, and then what people would like to own...if there is a difference, what are the factors behind it, ie availability, cost, size limitations, threat of divorce, etc.?

I believe this is good information for people new to the game. There is likely good reason people have in their closet today exactly what they do.

Flying Monkey

New in Town
When I created this thread, I was thinking ahead to this very question? OK, here is what people own, and then what people would like to own...if there is a difference, what are the factors behind it, ie availability, cost, size limitations, threat of divorce, etc.?

I believe this is good information for people new to the game. There is likely good reason people have in their closet today exactly what they do.
The jackets I buy are from ebay, garage sales, thrift stores, and craigslist. As I've said before, much of my enjoyment of this hobby is the hunt. I will admit that what I've hunted down, I do enjoy possessing although I certainly don't consider myself a hoarder. Most of the pieces in my collection could be for sale for a reasonable price if someone wanted them. I'm sure my wife would be thrilled to have a few less in the house. She's kind of a minimalist. I do have a few that I wouldn't sell. I was so excited to find just what I was looking for and finding it for a great price in my size. The stars were...just aligned for me that day. Maybe it sounds funny, but there are a few of my jackets that bring me happiness just looking at them, let alone wearing them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana