Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are the Most Popular Leather Jacket Brands on TFL?

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
I sometimes wonder, though, if some folks, ie newer, are not aware of all of the wonderful vintage jacket styles out there to be had if one is patient and persistent in a search.

I think it takes more experience to assess a vintage jacket's quality, condition, size and asking price than buying new. Also, when new into the jacket game I wouldn't want to wait one or two years for that d-pocket or halfbelt in my size to pop up on eBay, only to lose the auction because I misjudged the current market prices.

I see so many many threads over the years concerning the commissioning of new jackets. No doubt that can be a lot of fun and certain individuals simply prefer new jackets. I sometimes wonder, though, if some folks, ie newer, are not aware of all of the wonderful vintage jacket styles out there to be had if one is patient and persistent in a search.

I was a bit surprised that certain vintage names like those below showed up little, if at all, in this exercise. I could see someone having a mini collection of one or more of these brands. One could potentially save a lot of money going the vintage route vs buying a new, custom jacket.

Grais
GuideMaster by Wolfe
Kehoe
Kerr Leathers
Knopf
Kurland
Midwestern Sport Togs
Tauber’s
WB Place

GM, Kurland/SC, Knopf, Taubers can get expensive. Especially one in a larger size. Then add on possible repairs. Perhaps it needs a good wash. I can see how it can be a turnoff for some. But when it hits, and you get that special jacket, I enjoy it more than receiving that new jacket from whatever maker.

And in addition to the size factor that makes it difficult when I hunt for them, there also is the style factor. I see plenty of Knopf flight jackets, but that MC one is a rare bird. Oh yeah, don’t forget to add on gents like TM, Jon, Ton pillaging your potential spoils too. It’s a wonder I ever find any vintage jacket.

Coriu

One Too Many
I think it takes more experience to assess a vintage jacket's quality, condition, size and asking price than buying new. Also, when new into the jacket game I wouldn't want to wait one or two years for that d-pocket or halfbelt in my size to pop up on eBay, only to lose the auction because I misjudged the current market prices.

I agree about the assessment piece. But with wonderful resources like TFL, one can easily educate themselves if they devote the time.:)

For me, waiting one or two years for something as special as a leather jacket is not much. When you grow up poor, you get used to waiting for things in life.;) As a large man, it's extremely difficult to find vintage jackets, but I keep trying. When the stars do align, it's incredibly rewarding.

Coriu

One Too Many
GM, Kurland/SC, Knopf, Taubers can get expensive. Especially one in a larger size. Then add on possible repairs. Perhaps it needs a good wash. I can see how it can be a turnoff for some. But when it hits, and you get that special jacket, I enjoy it more than receiving that new jacket from whatever maker.

And in addition to the size factor that makes it difficult when I hunt for them, there also is the style factor. I see plenty of Knopf flight jackets, but that MC one is a rare bird. Oh yeah, don’t forget to add on gents like TM, Jon, Ton pillaging your potential spoils too. It’s a wonder I ever find any vintage jacket.

Great point and hilarious about your "competition." As you know, even with $250 in repairs, one could still end up $500 ahead versus buying something comparable new. A big joy for me is "handling" my jackets, ie cleaning, conditioning, etc. I find it therapeutic. So, getting a jacket that needs some work is not intimidating.

Here are the only jackets I have worthy of mentioning. I have others but they are junk in comparison. I’ve been cycling through leather jackets for nearly 20 years. At different points in time, this picture could’ve been 8 Aeros, etc, etc. I feel a bit reborn in this hobby of late. Returning to where I started but with a different point of view, which makes it all the more enjoyable. Nothing extraordinary but I really love this modest line-up:
C78A4FB5-2677-4548-BA6A-72D76D460FD8.jpeg

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Here are the only jackets I have worthy of mentioning. I have others but they are junk in comparison. I’ve been cycling through leather jackets for nearly 20 years. At different points in time, this picture could’ve been 8 Aeros, etc, etc. I feel a bit reborn in this hobby of late. Returning to where I started but with a different point of view, which makes it all the more enjoyable. Nothing extraordinary but I really love this modest line-up:
View attachment 350331
If that 5Star repro had a different maker's tag it would've been a 1,350 dollars jacket and not just a 350 dollars one. Just saying.

technovox

One Too Many
Just noticed this thread- what a fascinating look at everyone's approach to their personal collection. I thought I had more, but lately I've been trying to winnow down the list. Still searching for that one perfect daily beater...but until then here's the current state of affairs.

Contemporary

Aero-5
Himel-1
Thedi-1
Schott-1
Diamond Dave-1

On Order
JL-1
Aero-1

Vintage
Cal Leather–5
Bates-4
Langlitz-3
Harley Sportster-2
Tauber-1
Buco-1
Beck-1
Kehoe-1
Golden Bear-1

Last edited:

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
Just noticed this thread- what a fascinating look at everyone's approach to their personal collection. I thought I had more, but lately I've been trying to winnow down the list. Still searching for that one perfect daily beater...but until then here's the current state of affairs.

Contemporary

Aeros-5
Himel-1
Thedi-1
Schott-1
Diamond Dave-1

On Order
JL-1
Aero-1

Vintage
Cal Leather–5
Bates-4
Langlitz-3
Harley Sportster-2
Tauber-1
Buco-1
Beck-1
Kehoe-1
Golden Bear-1
All Stars across All Classifications Techno!!
B

jeo

One Too Many
A little late to the party. Had to dig some of these out that were buried in my closet. Didn't realize how many jackets I had so this was a fun little exercise, although it's still pretty modest compared to others on here!

Freewheelers - 3

Real McCoy's - 2
Himel - 2
Schott - 2

Flat Head - 1
Johnson Leathers - 1
Rainbow Country - 1
Vanson - 1
Tenjin Works -1
LVC - 1

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up
I think if you look at leather jackets as long term investments your short return will be eating beans and rice for the long term.
B
Rice and beans, throw in some corn tortillas and some Pico de Gallo and I’m happy.
Man, if I had saved all the money I squandered drinking and smoking, hanging out in bars and chasing women when I was a young, man I might have more digits in an account somewhere.
As I officially become a senior Citizen Sunday, I have all that I need, and some jackets

jonesy86

I'll Lock Up

Contemporary

Aero-5
Himel-1
Thedi-1
Schott-1
Diamond Dave-1

On Order
JL-1
Aero-1

Vintage
Cal Leather–5
Bates-4
Langlitz-3
Harley Sportster-2
Tauber-1
Buco-1
Beck-1
Kehoe-1
Golden Bear-1
Nice spread!

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
When one is older, go for it. We can't take it with us. But a note for the younger folks. If you have $10K of jackets in your closet today and keep them for the next 35 years...that same $10K invested wisely would be worth $81K in 35 years based upon compound interest at an average annual return of 6%, ie a good mutual fund.

In a manner of speaking, it could be costing you about $2000 per year to keep those jackets around. Of course, that is assuming they maintain their value. It would be nice to think that they would increase in value over the next 35 years, but personally I would not count on that. ....just something to consider.
I could say the say think about women's jewelry and weddings. I estimate my jackets represent 20K to 25K about half what we spent on our daughter's one-day Wedding party. I will at some time sell off half of my collection but not now

jonbuilder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
49 people have responded so far. The Top 10 point leaders are as follows. The top 3 stayed the same. Lost Worlds moved up to #4 and The Real McCoy's moved up to #7.

The Top 10
1. Aero-58
2. Vanson-36
3. Schott-26
4. Lost Worlds-17
5. Thedi-16
6. Cal Leathers-14
7. Real McCoy’s-11
8(tie). Eastman/ELMC, Goodwear and Brooks-10

The next 5
Field Leathers-7
Buco, Johnson Leathers and Levi’s -6
Himel Brothers-5
@ Coriu I and I bet many more of us really appreciate that you are keeping track

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner