Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are the Most Popular Leather Jacket Brands on TFL?

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
That's a good point about the second-hand jackets. Even second-hand, I often see Thedi, Lost Worlds, and the elite brands running over $750. That's still a LOT of money. I will not pay more than $500 for a used jacket. It's not a matter of "Can I afford it?" I don't want to end up with a $10K+ investment hanging in my closet that is not substantially growing in value at the cost of "making me happy." 20 jackets at $750 each=$15,000

I own three used Aero's that cost me $400US or less and two new ones that cost me less than $700. The Aero's and Schott's of the world have allowed me to dabble in this hobby without breaking the bank. Unless increased production allows GW to lower its prices(subsequently lowering the price of used jackets), I don't think they will ever be as popular as Aero. It really comes down to financial accessibility.

I admire the people who actually do the work. GW has the business model I respect. Dave Sheeley is another maker who I admire because He is committed to quality. They are the real deal. Theodoros Pampoukas, is also a great innovator and love his dedication to his work. Owners from companies in New York turn me off because their first words in a conversation are usually to let you know they will be charging you more for any little thing that do not take extra time or effort. These owners of companies are a turn off for me because of pure greed. I understand that they are in the business to make money, but I think their vision gets a little blurry in balancing good customer service and profits.

Last edited:

Coriu

One Too Many
When one is older, go for it. We can't take it with us. But a note for the younger folks. If you have $10K of jackets in your closet today and keep them for the next 35 years...that same $10K invested wisely would be worth $81K in 35 years based upon compound interest at an average annual return of 6%, ie a good mutual fund.

In a manner of speaking, it could be costing you about $2000 per year to keep those jackets around. Of course, that is assuming they maintain their value. It would be nice to think that they would increase in value over the next 35 years, but personally I would not count on that. ....just something to consider.

Coriu

One Too Many
I admire the people who actually do the work. GW has the business model I respect. Dave Sheeley is another maker who I admire because He is committed to quality. They are the real deal. Theodoros Pampoukas, is also a great innovator and love his dedication to his work. Owners from companies in New York turn me off because their first words in a conversation are usually to let you know they will be charging you more for any little thing that do not take extra time or effort. These owners of companies are a turn off for me because of pure greed. I understand that they are in the business to make money, but I think their vision gets a little blurry in balancing good customer service and profits.

It's a good thing you did not say anything that would implicate them...oops:rolleyes:

Pricing seems about the same across all the makers you mentioned and did not mention. All “overcharge” for their service imo. But, if you want their jackets. Their time also is valuable. And a business model that takes years to delivery with black holes in comms is not something I can get behind. That’s just me.

You want the guy to be the face of the company, the engine as it were, and the actual maker, I get it. That’s cool and I do appreciate that. To me, the most important differentiator is the leather. And all have their place. None of the jackets these gents are building are really new. Spectacular, yes. But it’s all been done before. Down to the darn labels lol.

When one is older, go for it. We can't take it with us. But a note for the younger folks. If you have $10K of jackets in your closet today and keep them for the next 35 years...that same $10K invested wisely would be worth $81K in 35 years based upon compound interest at an average annual return of 6%, ie a good mutual fund.

In a manner of speaking, it could be costing you about $2000 per year to keep those jackets around. Of course, that is assuming they maintain their value. It would be nice to think that they would increase in value over the next 35 years, but personally I would not count on that. ....just something to consider.

Can we change your name to buzzkill? Haha. Another exercise I can do without.

Coriu

One Too Many
Can we change your name to buzzkill? Haha. Another exercise I can do without.
Ahb8.gif

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
^^ hear hear

And then you die with 81k on your bank account.

If you have to think about the monetary value of the jackets in your closet, then maybe you should buy less. Otherwise, enjoy what makes you happy and let the money be the means to that end.

^^ hear hear

If you have to think about the monetary value of the jackets in your closet, then maybe you should buy less. Otherwise, enjoy what makes you happy and let the money be the means to that end.

And there are a few members here with far more expensive addictions. Living the good life, as damn well they should. Jackets, over the long run, are nothing. You see, avoiding the exercises works for me.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
^^ hear hear

+1

My dad died last Christmas, he never did anything he enjoyed during his life, he never splurged on anything, for him spending money on anything that wasn't a necessity was stupid.
The only extravagent purchase he ever made was buying a Tesla Model 3, ordered it at 68, took delivery at 71, died at 72 having driven it less than 2000 miles. He left 100.000k behind in his current account.

Honestly, the saddest thing about his death was that he iterally never did enything he enjoyed and the only thing he ever spent money on, he didn't get to use because he was too sick to do so.

My cousin always says "there is no point being the richest man in the cemetary" and although my dad was not rich, he ilustrated this point perfectly to me.
I would rather spend some of my money on things i will enjoy during my lifetime than hoard it all and die knowing i never did anything for myself but left a bigger number on my bank account.

Coriu

One Too Many
+1

My dad died last Christmas, he never did anything he enjoyed during his life, he never splurged on anything, for him spending money on anything that wasn't a necessity was stupid.
The only extravagent purchase he ever made was buying a Tesla Model 3, ordered it at 68, took delivery at 71, died at 72 having driven it less than 2000 miles. He left 100.000k behind in his current account.

Honestly, the saddest thing about his death was that he iterally never did enything he enjoyed and the only thing he ever spent money on, he didn't get to use because he was too sick to do so.

My cousin always says "there is no point being the richest man in the cemetary" and although my dad was not rich, he ilustrated this point perfectly to me.
I would rather spend some of my money on things i will enjoy during my lifetime than hoard it all and die knowing i never did anything for myself but left a bigger number on my bank account.

Thank you for sharing and I am sorry for your loss. My father was the same way. He grew up in abject poverty and that created a hoarding mindset concerning money. In the US, many older people have issues with not enough money...not too much. People cannot afford to retire and are working into their 70's.

I currently work as a teacher/counselor for teens. They talk about $1000 like it is nothing. It shocks me. It's all about balance. We all might be dead tomorrow. So don't deny yourself completely. But we also might live until we are 90, and have to weather many financial storms along the way, ie children, cancer, career loss, etc.

One thing life has taught me. You can be wiped out financially VERY quickly. Been there, with no mommy and daddy to run to for help. It gives one a different perspective on the value of $1000.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21