Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the Oldest Objects you Own?

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Turns out the fiddles and watercolor aren't the oldest items I own. I'd forgotten all about this object until I read the above post about the ancient tiles. But I do have a certified Spanish silver coin from the Atocha shipwreck of 1622. I wear it as a pendent mounted in an 18k gold bezel.

Vera Godfrey

Practically Family
My great-grandmother's tarot cards. I'm not sure how old they are. All I know is that there are either from Russia or Ukraine and have been passed down through several generations.

FuzzySabre

New in Town
A spinosaurus tooth.. Around 100 Million years old, and a fossilized plant from the Pennsylvanian period.

The oldest man made object is a prehistoric arrow head from the Sahara dated to about 10,000 BC

The oldest object I own from history (rather than prehistory), is a few Roman coins from around 100 ad.

Grnidwitch

A-List Customer
Being a tarot card reader, please take good care of those cards. Wrap them in a piece of silk and keep them in a box or in a drawer. They hold so much energy of the lady that handled them (your great grandmother). It's wonderful thing you have there.

Personally, I don't see why rocks should be excluded. I have rocks that are approximately 3 billion years old.

But in the spirit of usable things, I have my great-grandfather's tool box, and numerous hand tools of his, dating to probably around 1910-1920. I use the tool box. I also use a cast iron skillet that my wife's grandmother gave her. My grandmohter in law swore it was ancient when she was a little girl and her grandmother used it. It makes the best cornbread.

Renault

One Too Many
Ok I'll play! Oldest "culturally altered" piece of rock I have in my possession as caretaker :)

Paleo point known as an Angostura point. Not as old as a Clovis, but almost!!

Fella that produced this point lost it about 2 miles north of the conflux of the Pecos river and Live Oak Creek in west Texas. There were still some megafauna lurking around the area then!

Renault

One Too Many
Of you like this kinda stuff, here are a few more items I found while looking for something else. These are quit as old as the last pic. Oldest Mebbe 1000-1100 years old up to about 500.

Dollar bill is for scale

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Does anyone actually "own" a rock? It was here before you got here, and it'll be here long after you're gone. You're just a temporary caretaker.

The best things in life,
To you were just loaned,
So how can you lose,
What you've never owned?

- Life is Just a Bowl of Cherries

Interesting conundrum, anyway.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
I managed to put together a complete field amputation instrument set when I was engaged in my former hobby as a Civil War reenactor. Many of the items are period: some are faithful reproductions. As far as I can determine, the capital saw (my oldest piece) dates at least to the 1850's and thus predates the War.

As I am hitting 60 this year, portraying a 28 year old Union army surgeon went from sublime to ridiculous about a decade ago, and I knew that it was time to leave that party. I still retain my surgical instruments, however: they're great conversation pieces.

jhe888

One of the Regulars
I have a couple of hydrogen atoms that were formed just a few seconds after the big bang.

In man-made objects, we have some paintings from the late 19th century.

I haven't carbon dated my possessions, but these beads from the Chumash people of the California Channel Islands are 500-1000 years old.

chumash1.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21