Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the stereotypes associated with different hats?

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Clown

Rule17

New in Town
Send in the clowns :)

This thread has certainly brought out the wags :)

Interesting that flat caps say "low class" to some and certain styles say CEO to others. I guess I should also try to find an additional forum to ask people who aren't hat-lovers what conclusions they draw about those of us who are.

My knitted fez arrived from its Etsy maker today. Not sure I'll be wearing it out of the house but I don't need a thread to tell me what people will conclude from a red knitted fez ;)

Torpedo

One Too Many
Rule17 said:
Interesting that flat caps say "low class" to some and certain styles say CEO to others. I guess I should also try to find an additional forum to ask people who aren't hat-lovers what conclusions they draw about those of us who are.

Mmmmh... I have read some peculiar conclusions in forums like StyleForum or AskAndy. One that comes to mind was that hat-wearers were almost always balding or bald men :eusa_doh:.

No wonder I do not much follow those forums. Although some good info may be found. I found THIS forum because it was mentioned in a thread there :D .

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Anything fedora with a 2" or larger brim has gotten the cowboy response from kids on many occasions.

And occasionally, a cowboy hat has gotten me an Indiana Jones comment from the young'uns, as well.

Although I do like ball caps, I will have to agree with the flat brim/ (especially) sideways style (ghetto wannabe or reality, either one) makes me wanna puke.

ron521

One of the Regulars
Flat cap worn forwards = Gatsby
Flat cap worn backwards = musician, likely jazz

Bowler = English businessman, or silent movie comedy star

Cowboy hat worn while actually outside performing farm or ranch chores = real cowboy
Cowboy hat worn while inside any building = wannabe (real cowboys remove their hats when entering a building)

ron521

One of the Regulars
Torpedo said:
Mmmmh... I have read some peculiar conclusions in forums like StyleForum or AskAndy. One that comes to mind was that hat-wearers were almost always balding or bald men :eusa_doh:.

Jenny McCarthy was quoted saying pretty much the same thing as applying to flat-hats, in an interview in Maxim (I think).

DOUGLAS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fletch said:
A nonblack, non-Indy fedora means, essentially, "I am this guy."
crumb+burns

"I am an urbanite, a son of the pavements. If I am not Black, Italian or over the age 75, I wish I was. I am a bundle of neuroses held together by coffee, cigarettes, and obsessive-compulsion. Not only that, I can't get to sleep without horns honking, I gag on air without diesel fumes in it and the sight of grass and trees makes me itch."

This is great Fletch! Too funny.

WideBrimm

A-List Customer
Reporter ?

Fletch said:
A nonblack, non-Indy fedora means, essentially, "I am this guy."
crumb+burns

"I am an urbanite, a son of the pavements. If I am not Black, Italian or over the age 75, I wish I was. I am a bundle of neuroses held together by coffee, cigarettes, and obsessive-compulsion. Not only that, I can't get to sleep without horns honking, I gag on air without diesel fumes in it and the sight of grass and trees makes me itch."

Sounds a little like the hard-bitten newspaper reporter of years gone by ! lol

Or a mature Clark Kent, perhaps ?

galopede

One of the Regulars
Odd about the flat cap making you think of lower classes. In Britain they are worn by anyone from the royal family to the beggars.

Also I've never seen a bowler worn by anyone other than a morris man! I have one for the same reason.

Gareth

Rule17

New in Town
2053188389_6863e6196f.jpg
ron521 said:
Bowler = English businessman, or silent movie comedy star

I agree that an English businessman is the stereotypical owner of a bowler hat but if you were to see someone coming towards you in a bowler hat today is that what you would guess they were?

I've lived in Britain and the only people wearing bowler hats I saw were the custodians at Christ Church in Oxford (college servants who marshal the tourists). I saw no businessmen wearing them so in terms of the question of what association I might bring to the hat, I don't think I'd guess the owner was necessarily and English businessman or treat him as such.

Or is it still thought that these are commonly worn in Britain? I remember the New York lounger with the stylish top hats who was looking forward to blending in when he went to London and was in for a disappointment.

Hal

Practically Family
Bowlers

They are very rarely seen in Britain, and this has been true for at least 25 years. The exceptions are the cases mentioned by Rule 17, namely a very few businessmen/professionals in the City of London and some college servants at Oxford and Cambridge. One may occasionally see them on officials at English equestrian events.
Bowlers used to be standard funeral headgear in the mining areas of south Wales and north-eastern England during the period when hats of all kinds were frequenrtly worn, by men of all classes but mostly of advanced age. They are part of the "uniform" of the Orange Order at their parades in Ireland, Glasgow and Liverpool. None of these "sightings" amounts to much except, perhaps, the last mentioned.
For better or worse, Britain is a lot less old-fashioned than visitors expect it to be.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
Hal said:
They are very rarely seen in Britain, and this has been true for at least 25 years.

But it's still a stereotype in the States.

Since moving to the UK I've seen two bowlers worn. I'm looking for one for myself, but I am neither British, nor a banker ;)

duggap

Banned
Nick D said:
But it's still a stereotype in the States.

Since moving to the UK I've seen two bowlers worn. I'm looking for one for myself, but I am neither British, nor a banker ;)
Does that mean you are a Prince.[huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn