Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the stereotypes associated with different hats?

Rule17

New in Town
Ruben-Guthrie-300x225.jpg

I wrote on my blog recently about how the picture of a young man in a top hat drew me to the advertising postcard for a play in Sydney. I speculated that the hat probably wasn't even in the production. Having now seen the play, I know that it wasn't.

Obviously the stylist for the shoot wanted to say something about the character and felt the top hat contributed to that. The question is what did s/he think it contributed?

Different hats come imbued with meaning to people who see someone wearing them. When you put on a hat, people will have a reaction or infer something about you based on what associations they come with to that style of.

That's on top of the base conclusion many people draw about hat wearers: he is wearing a hat, therefore he is eccentric/old-fashioned/Indiana Jones/trendy.

I am hoping to explore this, perhaps in an Open Crown podcast, and I wondered if you guys had any thoughts on what people bring to each style of hat. What specific associations might they be making when they see a flat cap/fedora/trilby/Panama and what conclusions are they making about its wearer?

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
Black or dark gray fedora; Jewish or Amish. Especially if you have a beard and are prone to wearing dark suit coats. To be honest, I don't know if these are common associations, but I have experienced them enough first hand to the point where I'm starting to think they are.

johnnycanuck

My Mail is Forwarded Here
HatSoup said:
If you wear a cowboy hat people will think you're a cowboy, if you wear a pink cowboy hat, people will think you're a gay cowboy.

Pink Cowboy hat = gay cowboy. Watch who you say that to. Wrangler has a "are you tough enough to wear pink" Breast cancer campaign. Most guy I know that participat ARE, and you do not want to mess with them.
http://www.wranglerwestern.com/ww_08pr_tetwp.php
http://www.toughenoughtowearpink.com/
One even got a custom pink cowboy hat made up, that turned into his daily wear hat. A Rig guy who lost his mother to the disease.
Johnny

Chiliarches

A-List Customer
johnnycanuck said:
Pink Cowboy hat = gay cowboy. Watch who you say that to. Wrangler has a "are you tough enough to wear pink" Breast cancer campaign. Most guy I know that participat ARE, and you do not want to mess with them.
http://www.wranglerwestern.com/ww_08pr_tetwp.php
http://www.toughenoughtowearpink.com/
One even got a custom pink cowboy hat made up, that turned into his daily wear hat. A Rig guy who lost his mother to the disease.
Johnny

ARE gay or ARE tough enough?

ron521

One of the Regulars
Baseball cap on backwards = IQ 20 points lower than average

Baseball cap on sideways = IQ 50 points lower than average

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
A nonblack, non-Indy fedora means, essentially, "I am this guy."
crumb+burns

"I am an urbanite, a son of the pavements. If I am not Black, Italian or over the age 75, I wish I was. I am a bundle of neuroses held together by coffee, cigarettes, and obsessive-compulsion. Not only that, I can't get to sleep without horns honking, I gag on air without diesel fumes in it and the sight of grass and trees makes me itch."

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Bowler = English (at least, to those of us on this side of the pond! :D )

I think that's because it seems that the English continued wearing them long after they went out of style in the US. Despite our history I don't think many people associate the bowler (or derby) with being a something that was worn in great numbers here. Might have something to do with what they see in the movies.

Cheers,
Tom

awest84532

Familiar Face
HatSoup said:
If you wear a cowboy hat people will think you're a cowboy, if you wear a pink cowboy hat, people will think you're a gay cowboy.
I live in cowboy country and most of the cowboys wear ball caps (unless it's rodeo time). It's the tourists who wear the cowboy hats and the European tourists who wear Speedos and cowboy boots with a duster and a cowboy hat; sometimes pink.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails