Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are the stereotypes associated with different hats?

jeffconnors

A-List Customer
StetsonHomburg said:
What do you guys think a sterotypical Homburg wearer is like?... Banker, Michael Corleone lol , British?

winston-churchill.jpg

danofarlington

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Atticus Finch said:
"What we've got heah...is fail-yah ta communicate."

spanishneedles054-1.jpg

AF
That's the dressiest outfit I've seen a modern Open Road paired up with. It looks good though. I may try it sometime. BTW it reinforces my recently-acquired opinion that hats go better with sport coat than suit, at least on me. Sport coats lend a certain informality to a hat that makes it less of a smack in the face of a formal "look."

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
StetsonHomburg said:
What do you guys think a sterotypical Homburg wearer is like?... Banker, Michael Corleone , British?

johnnycanuck said:
Kid Rock..lol
I've never seen Kid Rock in a Homburg.Kid Rock usually wears a center crease hat with a 2 1/8 inch brim.
Henry The Hatter Detroit carries a Biltmore hat that's called Giorgio Cellini Amalfi Junior.The description states"This is the hat that Kid Rock started in".
https://www.henrythehatterdetroit.c...2&redirected=1&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2
Kid Rock snaps his hat up in front and down in back.He said on Larry King Live he wears it like that because that's how John Lee Hooker and Run DMC wore their hats.

StetsonHomburg said:
What do you guys think a sterotypical Homburg wearer is like?... Banker, Michael Corleone lol , British?

Today? I would say Michael Corleone and gangsters. Only FL and 70+ people might know anything about the true history of the Homburg.

One Too Many
Respectable

One thing is true:
In all the world a man using hat is looked like a Respectable Man ¡¡¡¡
although sometimes people call in joking tune with names of some hood-lum or ganster artist, me self have been looked in the lounge with some looking to Vito Corleone, ja,ja,ja,ja,ja,:eusa_doh: :eusa_doh: :eusa_doh:

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
Interesting topic! The easy ones in my mind are:

1) flat cap - to me the flat cap says you own a British sports car, you golf, or you are balding (primarily because most balding hat wearers I know wear flat caps).

2) 8-panel cap - newsboy, I suppose; but moreso the 20th Century working class. If worn backward with goggles, these are the quintessential antique car hat.

3) Bowler - British Civil Servant, American working class in the 19th Century, silent film comedian.

4) Homburg - banker, diplomat, lawyer/judge, or European politican

5) Silk Tophat - magician, magical snowman, wealthy industrialist attending opening night at the opera, or diplomat attending an evening function

6) Lampshade - party animal

7) Straw Boater - Henry Ford, college man, barbershop quartet, Gilded Age romantic, Harold Lloyd

Did I miss any?

The Fedora is such a complex creature I don’t think I can throw a single stereotype at it and make it stick. Brim width, crown height, shape, color, condition, bash, and band all can be tweaked to mean different things. Cowboy hats are subject to similar nuances.

Of course all of these interpretations can be spun based on the rest of the clothing worn by the person. A fellow in long underwear and a Bowler is clearly living some kind of Clockwork Orange fantasy, and a guy wearing a T-shirt and jeans with a Silk Tophat must think he’s Ed Roth. I answered purely based on what springs to mind viewing a hat on its own.

-Dave

BlackBrim

Familiar Face
David Conwill said:
The Fedora is such a complex creature I don’t think I can throw a single stereotype at it and make it stick. Brim width, crown height, shape, color, condition, bash, and band all can be tweaked to mean different things.

-Dave
I'm curious about stereotypes associated with stingy brim fedoras.
To be more specific,I'm curious about stereotypes associated with the types of crowns on stingy brim fedoras.
For example,one merchant's website describes a Dobbs Dutton(which has a center crease crown and a 1 7/8 brim)as a nine to fivers hat.Does that
sound like a accurate description?
I thought a center crease hat has more of a casual after hours look.I would have guessed something like a Dobbs Glenwood(which has a pinch front crown and a 1 1/2 inch brim)to have more of a business look.But I know I might be wrong.So I'm wandering about how people perceive the crowns on stingy brim fedoras.
How is a center crease crown perceived compared to the way a pinch front crown is perceived?Is one type of crown considered a more serious look
with perhaps a more mature style?Is one considered more laid back and casual?

Hereward

One of the Regulars
A hat alone is not enough to judge I think. Add the wearer and his togs and you might be able to hazard a guess. However, many hat people fail to tick any of the usual boxes, and therein would lie the problem.

Redwoodjedi

One of the Regulars
I associate fedoras with my Grandpa. He was not a city boy even in the least. In fact, he was a logger with Pacific Lumber Company from the late 40's until his retirement in 1972. He was a Faller and Topper. The Topper is the fella that has to limb and shimmy all the way up to the top of a Redwood Tree with a utility belt and chainsaw. He gets to about where the circumference of the tree is about 2 feet in circumference and then cuts a shallow ring around the entire tree at that point. He then packs the ring with charges from his utility belt and begins to scramble back down the tree in a hurry before the top blows off. Often times he would never make it back down to the ground, which is about 200 ft. below him on average before the top blew off. After the top blows, he then climbs back up and cleans the blown area flat and puts up the cable blocks and guy lines that are to be used by the Steam Donkey or Yarder to cable the felled and bucked logs up the hill to the landings for them to be loaded up on the trucks.

My Grandpa always wore a Gray or Brown Fedora into the woods and until it was regulated to wear a hardhat or a "tin skid lid" as Grandpa called it, he would wear the Fedora while working. He usually wore loose jeans into the woods with batchelor buttons for the suspenders, an undershirt and a plaid flannel over that. He wore his cork boots for Felling and his spiked lineman boots for Topping. When he wasn't in the woods working, he would wear khakis, ankle high brown boots like Indiana Jones, a button down plaid over an undershirt and a Fedora.

I too used to log for almost a decade as a Faller and Dozer Operator. I too carry on my Grandpa's sense of Country Gent style as I wear pretty much what he wore except I have exchanged the ankle high boots for the Georgia Boot Romeos and I'm sure he would approve as they are very nice looking casual wear and practical and they look great with loose jeans (Carhartts) cuffed, of course. Just like Grandpa...

RJ

Jack Scorpion

One Too Many
I'm beginning to associate straw hats (w/thick bands) with trendy girls in their twenties. I am not happy about this, but it is really difficult to avoid this opinion in LA.

I'm beginning to associate dark fedoras (w/wide brims) with anti-social types, but this might be contingent on long hair and/or poorly groomed facial hair as well. This might be accidental personal experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart