Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are we missing...?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
They're called "High Schools."
How about "Remedial High Schools?" If you aren't eeking out a low-level existence by the age, say, 25, you gotta go back and learn The Natural Order of Things aaaaaall over again. Cliques, conformity, bureaucracy, pleasing higher authority, and all the rest of it.

It'd be the best thing that ever happened to all those free spirits out there. Oh, and you have to do TWO extra years for every year of graduate school you have.

Beaubeau

New in Town
Fletch said:
If only there were some way to keep "ugly arguments" from even becoming "arguments." To make them one-sided. Ie: person 1 administers beatdown, person 2 attempts no self-defense and slinks off to nurse wounds. Sadly, I don't know any such way, except to make sure no one gets on your forum who disagrees with a certain set of principles, and that would stifle a lot of fora.

Maybe people should just learn when not to stand up for themselves. Or even for others.

That last bit is a dangerous idea when real life civil liberties are involved, by the way. It may be just the internet and you very likely didn't mean it that way I read it, but since we're discussing the conjunction between internet life and real life, I think that just needs to be said. But for the most part, on the topic of internet discussions, I agree that sometimes, the best thing to do is let go of things. It tends to be tenacious young hotshots like me that bite on the hardest on that sort of thing.

As for why people stand up and fight on the internet, even though it's pointless: People are the heroes of their own heroic epics, and their viewpoints are the most valid to them, because they're the their viewpoints and thoughts. Let's not even get into misunderstandings of intent, because those discussions are nasty. The expectation that some/most/all people cultivate from a young age (and the internet helps in this by providing communities with common interests), that every single person on Earth should agree with you always, is a quick way to be disappointed.

The truth of the matter is that some topics are just better not discussed with people on certain places. Not every place is The Place. I'm going to be frank: I realize my existence, not just even my existence on this board, is a heavy political dissension of rights, liberties, and morality. People like me get murdered for being like me. That is why I won't talk too heavily about myself as a transsexual in depth on these boards unless there is a reason to (my childhood, a thread on cross dressing for whatever reason, etc.). This board is not the place for me to talk about chest binders, stand to pee devices, and the costs of the best surgeons. It is, however, the best place to talk about fedoras and a way of dress and life that is now gone for most people.

Too broad or too narrow of a focus on a board is a great way to ruin a community as well, while we're at it, but I don't have much to say on that subject. Maybe somebody can do something with that thought but I can't care enough to think that one through enough, but sharing ideas is how great things happen, so... [huh]

This is all pointless rambling conjuncture that's happening because I'm up too late, and I should step off my soapbox and go to sleep.

Beaubeau

New in Town
Fletch said:
You do that. Please.

I'll think about what you posted tomorrow. ;)

Yeah, I like to think too much. Sometimes, it's not so much of a great thing, but that's what growing up is for.

Good Night. Pleasure to meet you.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Fred H. said:
So, here are my questions for ya'll:

• What kind of digital/mobile place would you like to have built just for you?
  • Would it be a mobile app? A digital magazine? An image-rich forum? A multi-company/site catalog?
  • What would be the defining characteristics of such a spot?
  • Would it be heavy to photos/video and light on prose? Or, should it have longer articles written by pros/experts?
  • Would you be willing to pay for it?

When I read this thread, I felt like a six year old during the last waking moments of his birthday...

Unfortunately, I don't have much to say about the above. I'm not a fan of digital this or technology that. And I'm certainly not willing to pay for anything more than I already am (which is as little as possible, mind).

On the other hand, it would be nice to have an "image rich" forum which acted soley as a resource detailing things like fabrics, hat creases, styles, etc. It would also be heavy on expert opinions, whether regarding how to apply a style, or what to purchase, etc. etc. However, said forum would only act as a supplement to a living, breathing place like the Lounge.

I do believe in this forum, and I hold it far above any others whether online or physical. The Lounge, albeit quite different than it used to be, is still a decent, intellectual, informative place that has NOT jumped the shark.

I know a party can't last all night (a gentleman's party! [bad] ). And I know MK, the 'tenders, and the senior staff have been with us for a very long time. I know this must be an exhaustive place for some, and I know it's transformed considerably even since I've recently joined. But I'm truly blessed to have encountered such an upbeat, professional group of guys and gals. I'll go down with the ship, if necessary. And if I've misread the intention of the original post, chalk this up to a recertification of personal beliefs. [huh]

Undertow

And to bypass my above comment, and to hopefully get at the heart of the original post (as I've read, reread, and tried to think about it - god, my mind is feeble)...

Fred, perhaps you are implying that we take a range of topics - say Stetsons 10'-30's and 40's-70's; Major Shoe brands 20's-40's, etc.; Suiting fabrics wool, cotton, linen, etc.; Ford cars 10's-50's, etc...

And we take these specific topics and "assign" them to their relative expert? Then said expert either writes an informative article and includes pictures, prices, locations, etc.?

Of course, wikipedia has attempted this albeit only semi-succesfully. If we mean this were something applied solely to the Lounge, I think it would be a boon. And you're right, no one's getting paid so it would be difficult to procur the necessary quality.

I think it's been done here before and perhaps it could be done again through the use of locked stickies. A member could write the article, submit to a specific bartender, and the locked sticky could be updated. We could have a new room to the Lounge titled, THE UTILITY CLOSET where these things would reside.

Am I hitting the mark at all?:(

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Mav said:
I've even seen ugly arguments break out over BBQ recipies on "cooking" boards.

Just another sort of religion, really!

The other thing I have noticed on boards where arguments are allowed, is that trolls come flocking, and that bullying tends to follow. Not something I enjoy seeing happen.

Puzzicato

One Too Many
Undertow said:
On the other hand, it would be nice to have an "image rich" forum which acted soley as a resource detailing things like fabrics, hat creases, styles, etc. It would also be heavy on expert opinions, whether regarding how to apply a style, or what to purchase, etc. etc. However, said forum would only act as a supplement to a living, breathing place like the Lounge.

Your fantastic fabric glossary is a good example. A separate section for threads like that, explaining what fabrics should be used for what purposes, with lots of images etc would be very valuable, I think.

Beaubeau

New in Town
Puzzicato said:
Your fantastic fabric glossary is a good example. A separate section for threads like that, explaining what fabrics should be used for what purposes, with lots of images etc would be very valuable, I think.

I agree. I think that I would like to sow some of my own clothes (I used to help make some of my family's rekelech, bekishes, and frock coats, so the tailoring shouldn't be that much difficult) for practicality's sake and a resource on fabrics so I can match up more efficiently what items were used for what and how to take care of them would be exceptionally swell.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Yes, you've misread my intent...

Undertow said:
And if I've misread the intention of the original post, chalk this up to a recertification of personal beliefs. [huh]
Let me state again: The Lounge is a great place. There are LOTS of interesting, vibrant, courteous members. The HAT and POWDER ROOM areas are particularly rich and supportive with LOTS of good amateur content.

I was asking about OTHER digital experiences. FORGET for a moment about the Lounge. Let's say "leave well enough alone!" What I want to know is something else.

Here's a VERY specific example for us to discuss: A monthly, digital-only VINTAGE HAT magazine with tons of professional photos of hats, detailed specifications of each, a statistical database with eBay values, and professionally written articles about various hat topics? Would you subscribe? Would you pay $5 a month? $50 a year?

LET ME EMPHASIZE: I'm not starting a hat magazine. Just posting an example of what I was thinking about.

(10k hat guys x $50/year = $500k.)

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Let me react to this post as well...

Undertow said:
Fred, perhaps you are implying that we take a range of topics - say Stetsons 10'-30's and 40's-70's; Major Shoe brands 20's-40's, etc.; Suiting fabrics wool, cotton, linen, etc.; Ford cars 10's-50's, etc...

And we take these specific topics and "assign" them to their relative expert? Then said expert either writes an informative article and includes pictures, prices, locations, etc.?

Of course, wikipedia has attempted this albeit only semi-succesfully. If we mean this were something applied solely to the Lounge, I think it would be a boon. And you're right, no one's getting paid so it would be difficult to procur the necessary quality.

Am I hitting the mark at all?:(
YES... You're beginning to understand what I was driving at! The REALLY big drawback to what I seek is doing it with volunteer labor. I want great content! Terrific pro-quality photos! A well-designed and usable database! I -- for one -- would pay for that.

Undertow

Fred H. said:
YES... You're beginning to understand what I was driving at! The REALLY big drawback to what I seek is doing it with volunteer labor. I want great content! Terrific pro-quality photos! A well-designed and usable database! I -- for one -- would pay for that.

Yeah, I think it would be a viable option. How to launch something like that, however, IS a horse of a different color.

Volunteer labor isn't necessarily a hurdle; many A+ threads already on the board were free, of course. Yet, as you've said, to attain the quality you're considering would require some martyrs (Marc, Matt :p ).

You would almost need a whole board to yourself. Threads would be labeled by their specific object/style/era, etc. You'd click on, say, Stetson 1940's Fedoras. There'd be (let's pretend) 23 different hats; each with a picture, each with measurements and statistics, various materials used, perhaps some blurbs on any available history. And if possible, there could be a program used to track auctions or news articles. I'm no software designer, but I'm sure it could be done.

As far as premiums paid for such a resource, I think those interested could very well pony up. I'd pay a yearly $5 subscription for web content. Sure that's not much, maybe bounce it to $8. In an economy like this, it would be hard to start asking for more money - but it's still a heck of an idea.

I really wish I knew more about cell phones and their apps (again, I'm in the stone age - never had a cell phone my whole life). What kind of cell phone app could one make?

AH! Perhaps the Lounge could put together a cell app that offered suggestions for color/style coordinations on suits, hats, acces. etc.?

Undertow

Puzzicato said:

:cheers1: Thank you! When I have a little more time, I'm planning to add more to that, btw.

Foofoogal

Banned
Fred H.

I think it would work as an app. Seems people are app crazy currently. Not sure how long it will work but. Now free part not sure?

I just paid for an ad in a digital magazine called Vintage Life that is now also a real mag.
http://www.vintagelifemagazine.com/

So make sure you have a good public relations person first and foremost.
No matter how good resources are if noone knows about them well? [huh]

Just IMHO. I may be totally not understanding the ?

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
It's a problem of too much coming at you at once, and not being able to get to the heart of the matter.

It's like someone needs to create a filter that bypasses the "nice hat/gloves/whatever" posts and all the reposted pics, while simultaneously categorizing all the "1950's Stetson Open Road Fedoras" in one database.

Kind of like Star Trek:

Spock: "Computer, display all men's suit styles, arranged by fabrics and colors, produced by Brooks Brothers during the period 1945 through 1955, highlighting any unusual or interesting details."

Computer: "Working...Results are now being displayed..."

dv

Undertow

DavidVillaJr said:
Kind of like Star Trek:

Spock: "Computer, display all men's suit styles, arranged by fabrics and colors, produced by Brooks Brothers during the period 1945 through 1955, highlighting any unusual or interesting details."

Computer: "Working...Results are now being displayed..."

dv

lol

Perfect. If only.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner