Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you called?

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
The group of people in here that love and live the vintage lifestyle. what are you called?

I have heard the term "swingers" but not sure if that's proper.

TheDutchess

One of the Regulars
lol no no its definately not swingers those are couples that um...well...well lets just say they share partners with other people if you know what I mean *nudge *nudge* I'm not quite sure if we really have a name. I mean Rock-a-billy people have a cool name, why can't we? Lets make one up!

Mr_D.

A-List Customer
LOL, not that my newbie vote will count but I like Retrophile

I was just wondering to help with Googling more info. if there was a term (like I could Google "goth" and have all the info I could ever need). I know there has to be lots of sites, maybe other forums out there with info on living the 30's lifestyle. Not that this isn't a great forum, but the more resources one can have the better.

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
'phile' implies 'one that loves, likes, or is attracted to,' whereas sexual is, well, sexual. So I vote for retrophile, because I am attarcted to the style, and because there is nothing overtly sexual about it.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
It's hard to come up with a single name because there's so many divergent interests under the "retro" banner -- from music-based subcultures to fashion/style movements to historical reenactors to simply cranky stubborn people who hope the 21st Century is just an irritating fad that'll blow over soon (I include myself in the latter group.) You'll find folks here from all over the gamut, and one name doesn't necessarily fit all.

Me, I like "Atavist."

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Vintage?

The term "Vintage" gets bandied about a lot here. I personally sort of hate it, but there's kind of nothing else. The word Retro has mainly settled on the 50's to 60's Atomic Era (I think . . . ), at least on Ebay descriptions of things like furniture.
I don't like vintage because the term has settled into use with antiques as meaning (correct me in if the numbers are off) anything under 100 but over 50 years old, with antiques being over 100 years old. The strict definition of antique is "old". But "Vintage" originally meant years when wines produced were exceptionally good. The term carried over into any classic old thing that was exceptionally fine. But then it degenerated into referring to anything of and "oldish" nature.
So there you are.
Add to that the many sub cultures and sub fetishes, and it's really confusing. Right now (at least in New York) the 20's seem to be roaring back. But the 30's and 40's each have their own aesthetic. There are devotees of each era, and others who randomly pick and choose among various eras to their own taste. So there you are again.
Does that help?
Anybody who can come up with a good term that encompasses it all in a sensible way will deserve a purple jelly bean.
Oh, and personally, I think retrosexual is cute, but also somehow off the mark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ALittleBitOfCompany