Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
My gosh, that's a swinging performance, and often overlooked, as was the band.

I just played Overnight, by the Casa Loma Orchestra in 1930. An early recording on OKeh, a Columbia subsidiary noted for better quality sound than Columbia itself.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
My gosh, that's a swinging performance, and often overlooked, as was the band.

It's a wonderful recording, Fletch, one of the best things to come out of the 30s, I reckon. And here's another...

Jack Hylton and His Orchestra - "Happy Days Are Here Again" (Rec. 1930)

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Supreme" the Robbie Willams song performed by "Max Raabe" are my ears deceiving me or does it include a refrain from "I will Survive" played on the TUBA!

image3_1207979747.jpg

"Nice Tie!"

Macheath

One of the Regulars
Well, I don't know if this counts , but I'm listening to myself sing Blue Room a la Bing Crosby.

I do say, Mac does a wonderful rendition, really does. ;)

JennyLou

Practically Family
Just got home from a No Doubt concert. I love how she sometimes does a vintage look. I think Gwen is who got me starting to think about dressing vintage.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
The 30s may surprise you. There was a lot more music made than anybody has any idea of...even us old hands, because a lot of it is so hard to get hold of.

My favourite kind of music is that which came out of the phonograph horns of the 10s, 20s, 30s and 40s. Almost any song from that period I would love, but my music generally peaks around the 20s & 30s.

Listening to...

Ted Fiorito and His Orchestra - "I'll String Along With You" (Rec. 1934).

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Black Coffee"

"No not that song by Peggy Lee, a much bouncier number by Australia's "Blonde baritone" Marjorie Stedeford

Marjorie gets 3rd billing, not bad

Advert.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuEvH6AObgo

Love the line "Had a little too much loopy soup, all I meant to have was one"

Marjorie Stedeford attracted immediate attention when she first appeared in London in 1935. She was a fine singer with an unusual voice—deeper than usual. One reviewer described her as 'an Australian girl with a unique baritone voice ... of soft quality and great charm'. During her few years in London, she found herself at the centre of an international 'hot spot' in the entertainment world, recording with many of the top names in popular music. The bands she sang with sound like a Who's Who of Thirties entertainment - she recorded with The Six Swingers, Jack Jackson and His Orchestra, Mario Lorenzi and His Rhythmics, Brian Lawrence and His Lansdowne House Sextet, Billy Thorburn and His Music and Carol Gibbons and His Boy Friends. Marjorie became a very successful artist and soon had a regular slot in Arthur Askey's show on Radio Luxemburg, described in publicity material as "The voice you love to hear". Unfortunately, the onset of WWII broke her career. Marjorie went home to Australia. She married, had a son and occassionally performed as a radio singer. She died, aged only 50, in 1959.
[/COLOR]

TheLimey

Familiar Face
The World of Jeeves and Wooster.

The soundtrack to the TV-series. A very nice mix of the orchestal pieces and the period songs, all sung by Hugh Laurie.

Unfortunately this CD is pretty hard to lay one's hands on...

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Benny Goodman on WKCR

I'm listening to the WKCR FM marathon in honor of the 100 birthday of the King of Swing, Benny Goodman. It's been running for 8 days now and has another 8 days to go. As is their custom, KCR is playing Benny's ENTIRE DISCOGRAPHY, everything he ever recorded, including lots of fascinating radio air checks.
Right now they're playing a lot of stuff from 1948. Much to my surprise, Goodman was playing a lot of Bebop at that time. I never knew Goodman played Bop, but he sure did at this point in his career. This marathon is showcasing all sorts of other people who played with Goodman aw well. They just played several songs sung by Patty Page, all from 1948. I never would have guessed it was her.
It's on WKCR FM, 89,9 in New York, or www.wkcr.org.
Great stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot