Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Dark Victory" Lux radio presentation staring Miss Bette Davis

Dark+Victory.jpg

"to be frightfully Honest darling, its rather more than a straight forward hangover"

LizzieMaine

Bartender
John Gambling's Musical Gym Class, 12/22/37. Presented over WOR, New York by the Illinois Meat Company, makers of that fine Broadway Corned Beef. Morning calisthenics accompanied by a salon orchestra and a bevy of chirping canaries. All right ladies, ONE TWO THREE FOUR!

campy

New in Town
Suite from the 1931 ballet Belkis, Queen of Sheba by Ottorino Respighi. From a Chandos CD by Geoffrey Simon &the Philharmonia Orchestra.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
LizzieMaine said:
John Gambling's Musical Gym Class, 12/22/37. Presented over WOR, New York by the Illinois Meat Company, makers of that fine Broadway Corned Beef. Morning calisthenics accompanied by a salon orchestra and a bevy of chirping canaries. All right ladies, ONE TWO THREE FOUR!
emoticon_music.png
You better bend down, Sister, bend down, Sister...
Keep young and beautiful, it's your duty to be beautiful...
I don't want her, you can have her, she's too fat for me...
(just funning, that last one wasn't even written in 1937)

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
OK, now that the thought of milady doing her daily dozen is out of my mind (wait, here it is again...:rolleyes: ), I find the meatbox has segued into Mush Mouth, by Claude Hopkins and His Orchestra in 1932.
click to play
A satisfying proto-swing groove tune, it's an unusual Hopkins discing as it does not feature Claude's piano.
Listen to how the band subtly phrases over and around the downbeat - one of their characteristics.

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"Sapphires & Sables" Peter Yorke & his Orchestra
A highly respected composer, conductor and arranger, Yorke was well known in Britain through his hundreds of broadcasts, and his themes have been widely used on television and radio. In the 30s he was one of the finest dance band orchestrators in England, working with Percival Mackey, Jack Hylton, Louis Levy and many others. After World War II he established himself as a light music composer and conductor through BBC radio shows such as Sweet Serenade, Our Kind Of Music and The Peter Yorke Melody Hours

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Eerily Prescient Moments in Pop Music History, vol. 1

3653850693_8a1c493d95.jpg
Weary Blues, as played by the brand new Tommy Dorsey band in 1935.

In the last chorus, arranger Spud Murphy spontaneously invents the hard rock back beat, which was deemed useless and promptly forgotten for another 35 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DPR