Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Another hit over at Internet Archive reveals another 1928 Edison program for WAAM, a vocal duo with organ. This - and probably the band program too - was intended as a "pre-recorded broadcast," ie: an early attempt at an ET!

(Edison chose 30 rpm as the recording speed, perhaps to start a proprietary system, but they never did - in any case, they left the record business entirely by '29.)

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
Gustav Temple

"Gustav Temple, from "The Chap" Magazine being interviewed on ABC Radio Perth, about the recent Chap Olympiad in London"

chap-olympiad-film-014.jpg

news-graphics-2007-_640389a.jpg

repeatclicks

Practically Family
Johnny Smith box set. My favorite jazz guitarist ever. Id challenge anyone to tell me a better version of Stranger In Paradise than his. Him and Getz were IT like Gerry Mulligan and Chet Baker. Sometimes the planets just align......

216-MD-CD.jpg

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Just finished Yours Truly, Johnny Dollar, "The Indestructable Mike Matter."

One episode of Rocky Jordan, sort of a bargain basement Casablanca.

Interview with author Megan Abbott on the Behind the Black Mask podcast over at Out of the Past.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to wring the washing by --

Now playing, Louis Armstrong and the Mills Brothers in 1939 with a delightful Depression tune, "The W. P. A.". "Don't mind the boss if he's cross when you're gay, He'll get a pink slip next month anyway. Three little letters that make life OK -- the W. P. A.!"

Up next, back to 1927 with the Ipana Troubadours, S. C. Lanin Director, and a jaunty performance of "My Strongest Weakness Is You." Smith Ballew with a smooth job on the vocal.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
SHUFFLE PLAY!

Learning (1934), by the Benny Goodman band with Tony Sacco, one of my favorites, on pipes. The combo of BG's band and the Brunswick studio creates an intimate, lights-out ambience, as if it's past midnight and only the music stands are lit.

Moonlight Saving Time (1930), Leonard Joy & the High Hatters. Frank Luther sings, he of the impeccable diction but slightly ragged breath control. The Hatters deliver with their customary Broadway pep.

Pieces of Eight (1940), Alec Wilder Octet. After their first couple sessions, Wilder let me down. He wrote a few haunting semi-impressionist pieces for them - then they got classically cutesy. Blame Mitch Miller, I suppose.

Zoom Zoom Zoom (1936), by the Ben Pollack group The Dean & His Kids. One of those "slap the bass" novelties where they'd rather sing about it than actually do it. Brother Teague gets about 4 bars, plucked, not slapped.

Monday in Manhattan (1935), Art Tatum. I doubt a less virtuosic pianist could have made anything of a lightweight Richard Himber ballad - he strides it in medium-up tempo, and quite respectably.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
SON OF SHUFFLE PLAY!

Easy To Find, Hard To Lose (1938), Bunny Berigan & Orch. This flopperoo was reworked with new bridge and lyrics a year later, and was a modest hit as Speaking of Heaven.

The Sheik of Araby (1930), Red Nichols & His Pennies. Jack Teagarden owns this one, vocally and trombonically.

Now's the Time to Fall in Love (1931), Phil Spitalny's Music. Brassy pep with male quartet and "Mr. Bones" style xylophone, from your Hit of the Week dealer.

The Fire Brigade (1956), Albert White & Gaslight Orch. An 1890s galop played in what passed for period style.

Move That Thing (1930), Memphis Jug Band. If ya wanna sleep here tonight, ya gotta.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran