Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

habberdasher

A-List Customer
"It Had to Be You" Priscilla Lane

I've looked around, and kind find a purchasable or downloadable copy of Priscilla Lane's version of "It Had to be You" from the 1939 movie, "The Roaring Twenties". Hers is my favorite and only truly likable version of the composition. Anyone here know of a source of it?

BinkieBaumont

Rude Once Too Often
"A Letter From The Front" an episode of Hinge & Bracket

Hinge%20and%20Bracket%203.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
kittypackard said:
oooh, Isham Jones. Talk about a Legend!
A legend that has been mostly lost to time, I'm afraid. Jones was a dark personality, hated celebrity, barely tolerated publicity. Once he left the band biz, it was only a matter of time before he was forgotten. Can one be an ex-legend?

I'm listening to Gus Arnheim and his Orchestra, trying to pretend that I'm knocking back a Knickerbocker at the Ambassador.
Knickerbocker-knockerbacker, eh? lol Listening to the Crosby sides, the earlier, Columbo-MacMurray band, or the later one that always played too slow?

kittypackard

Familiar Face
Fletch said:
A legend that has been mostly lost to time, I'm afraid. Jones was a dark personality, hated celebrity, barely tolerated publicity. Once he left the band biz, it was only a matter of time before he was forgotten. Can one be an ex-legend?

Knickerbocker-knockerbacker, eh? lol Listening to the Crosby sides, the earlier, Columbo-MacMurray band, or the later one that always played too slow?

Well I have to admit I don't know a thing about Isham Jones' personal life-- but the music he made for Brunswick is a very important piece in the fabric of 20s dance music. The way you describe it, it seems that he personally saw to his own obscurity--which is a shame because those recordings are amongst the best of their kind.

The Arnheim album that I've got is a compilation album and features Russ Columbo as well as Crosby at the cusp of his Paul Whiteman years. It's chock-a-block full of toe-tapping tracks like A Peach of a Pair and I'm Gonna Get You recorded from '28 through '33.

LOTS of fun! :)

(Just bought Abe Lyman and his California Orchestra from Amazon and am eagerly awaiting its arrival ... )

J.L. Picard

One of the Regulars
HadleyH said:

kamikat said:
Movits!!! An interesting Swedish band whose music is a blend of rap and swing. I first heard them on the Colbert Report and am now totally obsessed!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ag5kWN_q3iI

Lady H,

Thank you. I had totally forgotten I J!! Un talent fouuuuuu;)

Kamikat,

Un grand merci!! :) Thank you for bringing to us this interesting group. A little surprising at first, but it really grows on you. As usual, our Skandinavian neighbors bring a lot of talent to the table.

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Vintage, But In A Different Sense of Vintage

Tom Waits, Potter's Field (should only be listened to after eleven pm), and Emotional Weather Report.

Lou Reed, Sweet Jane, from the Rock and Roll Animal live album. I paid to download the whole album because that was the only way to get that one song.

Voyage of the Scarlet Queen, The White Cargo and Ah Sin.

Wally_Hood said:
Tom Waits, Potter's Field (should only be listened to after eleven pm), and Emotional Weather Report.

Lou Reed, Sweet Jane, from the Rock and Roll Animal live album. I paid to download the whole album because that was the only way to get that one song.

I was listening to a Best of Tom Waits called Used Songs this weekend.

Lou Reed RNRA is a great live album I like the tune Heroin from that too.

Just finished the Upgraded version of the CD "Time and A Word" from YES.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy