Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Is that the Irving Berlin tune with Tony Martin...or something earlier and obscurer?

Me, I just fired up the new turntable preamp and have been playing the two Lps (the only two Lps) by George Hall, men's clothing buyer turned bandleader, and His Orchestra. Sing a Song of Nonsense, recorded in 1936 with his star pupil Dolly Dawn, is kicking my butt, in a very nice way that is.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I'm not sure. But it's a catchy tune. I love it!

I am singing along to...

Lew Stone and His Orchestra - "Anything Goes!"

...Good authors too, who once knew better words,
Now only use four-letter words writing prose!
Anything goes!...

Stevie Ray and Albert King

I just had a chance to see, on what is called Public Broadcast TV, a Stevie Ray and Albert King jam session. Incredibly cool.:cool:

I just found this.....part of what I saw tonight.

[video]http://www.bing.com/videos/watch/video/stevie-ray-and-albert-king/cda982e33264038f1319cda982e33264038f1319-295669072509?q=stevie%20ray%20vaughan%20and%20Albe rt%20King[/video]

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to come dangerously close to setting my bathrobe on fire by (never operate a stove when you're not awake. A phonograph, however, is fine.) --

Starting off in 1938 with Eddie DeLange and his Orchestra and one of the incessant cutesy-juvenile novelty tunes of the moment, "Button Button Who's Got The Button?" Elisse Cooper slings the vocal, sounding like equal parts Ella and Edythe Wright.

Next, it's 1931 and an extra-length Hit Of The Week record by Rudy Vallee and his Connecticut Yankees, offering "Was That The Human Thing To Do." A pleasant way to spend 4 minutes and 39 seconds, even though when Rudy sings the word "hahhht" in a flat Westbrook accent, he sounds exactly like the fat guy behind the meat counter at the Shop n Save.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Bird of Paradise - Jimmie Lunceford & Orch., 1935. Duke Ellington must have had special respect for Jimmie's band because he wrote this for them - and the Duke just didn't do that.

Dinner for One, Please, James - Ray Noble & Orch., 1935. Al Bowlly spins the touching yarn of a jilted aristocrat. Not sure which is the more affecting, Al's delivery, Michael Carr's succinct lyric or Noble's not-a-note-out-of-place arrangement.

martinsantos

Practically Family
Always listening a lot of old 78s... Tommy Dorsey, ever.

A good amount probably just a few knows (Brazilian music). For example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK86DqFXJi4

(The composer was my grandfather's neighbour, and this song was composed for a woman who died in around 1923/4. This was a huge sucess at the time, in a rare record that I looked for years. This in youtube is a newer record, in 1947).

Last edited:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Mighty River - Casa Loma Orch., 1932. Typical of the boxy, keyed-up, almost-swing style of the early CLO. Pee Wee Hunt (still called Walter then) brings some slack to the proceedings with his vocal and trombone.

Lost in a Fog - Leo Reisman & Orch., 1934. I like Leo best on Victor; I think he fired his rhythm section when he went to Brunswick. Still, great tune and arrangement. Sally Singer does as advertised, her classy low-pitched voice reminiscent of Ramona.

Mexican Jumping Bean - Raymond Scott & Orch., 1939. Not very Latin aside from a kind of hot-pepper-up-the-giggy feel; really a kind of hyper-staccato up-tempo I like to think of as "Music for Nervous New Yorkers." Scott was an exemplar of both the music and the personality type.

Goodnight, My Love - Shep Fields & Rrrrrippling Rrrrrhythm Orch., 1936. (SFX: bubbles) Think of me tonight when you slip into a hot bath, won't you, darling? Because I'll be thinking of you doing just that.

Last edited:

RadioWave

One of the Regulars
I've had Tommy Dorsey's 'Milenberg Joys' at the top of my list for almost a month now... I can't stop listening to it.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Sitting up observing the lunar eclipse. iTunes has 178 "moon" songs to shuffle.

Played: Mama That
moon_00.png
Is Here Again,
Shep Fields, 1937 - By the Light of the Silvery
moon_00.png
, Guy Lombardo, 1941 - If the
moon_00.png
Turns Green,
Paul Whiteman, 1935 - Orchids in the
moon_00.png
light
, Rudy Vallée, 1933 - Stop the Sun Stop the
moon_00.png
, Gene Kardos, 1932.

Best idiot-tweet: EAT THE MOON ALREADY NOM NOM :D!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
I've had Tommy Dorsey's 'Milenberg Joys' at the top of my list for almost a month now... I can't stop listening to it.
Hoo-boy, that might be my fave TD instrumental of all.

For those who haven't had the pleasure: Side 1, Side 2. Recorded January 19, 1939.
Yank Lawson-trumpet, Johnny Mince-clarinet, Babe Russin-tenor, Deane Kincaide-arranger.

Last edited:

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to duck the clothesline hanging across my kitchen by --

Starting off with the Hotel Pennsylvania Orchestra in 1930 with Amos 'n' Andy's theme song, "The Perfect Song" -- which sounds odd when done as a snappy-peppy fox trot, complete with a Kaufmanish tenor belting out the rarely-heard lyrics. I imagine somewhere out there there must be a tango version, a polka version, and a mazurka.

Next, ahead to 1933 for Rudy Vallee and his Connecticut Yankees and the theme song from the first Astaire/Rogers picture, "Flying Down To Rio." Fortunately Rudy is not standing on the top wing of a biplane as he croons about Rio-by-the-Seeo.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Starting off with the Hotel Pennsylvania Orchestra in 1930 with Amos 'n' Andy's theme song, "The Perfect Song" -- which sounds odd when done as a snappy-peppy fox trot, complete with a Kaufmanish tenor belting out the rarely-heard lyrics. I imagine somewhere out there there must be a tango version, a polka version, and a mazurka.
I assume you've heard Bert Lown's record (on the Perfect label, of course).
Vocal credit to Rodman Lewis, the name Scrappy Lambert used when he worked in drag. lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred