Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Nathan Dodge

One Too Many
Some Came Running-Original Soundtrack

SomeCameRunning.jpg

RIOT

Practically Family
Northern Soul. The Creation, Small Faces, Georgie Fame & The Blue Flames, The Attack, Sonny Boy Williamson, Ramsey Lewis Trio, etc. Just the greats and tons of it!

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Cadging recherché early 30s Euro-jazz off YouTube. Euro-jazz in that pre-Hot Club era was actually more American - ie jazzier and more up-tempo - than you could get away with back home, where hot music was a painful memory of better times.

March of the Hoodlums - Gus Deloof and His Racketeers, Brussels 1931
Hoagy Carmichael's tune and arrangement, as recorded by Ellington in '29.

Orient Express - Hans Bund mit seinem Tanz-Orchester, Berlin 1933
This is what they were listening to when we were playing The Last Round-Up.

Goofus - Paul Godwin Tanz-Orchester, Berlin 1932
Pretty much the domestic version, except there's a bass sax solo. Most bass saxes in New York were in pawn and their owners sleeping in the cases.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to wait around for a phone call by --

Now playing, Jimmy Dorsey and his Orchestra in 1937 with one of the best pop tunes of the year, "The Moon Got In My Eyes." A very callow and off-key Bob Eberly makes a desperate stab at the vocal, and makes you realize how much better the Dorsey-Bing Crosby version of this tune is.

Next up, Artie Shaw and his Orchestra in 1938 with a very appropriate selection on this icy morning, "There's Frost On The Moon." A frost-dispelling arrangement with the unjustly-forgotten Peg LaCentra swinging the vocal.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Old & In the Way - Breakdown recorded live at The Boarding House, San Francisco, October 1973. Vassar Clements - fiddle, Jerry Garcia - banjo & vocals, David Grisman - mandolin & vocals, John Kahn - acoustic bass, and Peter Rowan - guitar & vocals. Recorded by Owsley Stanley & Victoria Babcock. Produced by David Grisman.

Back in '73, these guys were playing a different kind of bluegrass. It came to be known as hippiegrass and introduced bluegrass to a whole new audience in the 70's and 80's. Good stuff.

JohnnyGringo

A-List Customer
After viewing Adele on Saturday Night Live a couple of weeks ago, I picked up her CD, Adele 19, over the weekend- she has such an amazing voice! I also listened to Ricky Skaggs and Kentucky Thunder's Tribute to the Masters of Bluegrass, 1946-47- this is truly classic Bluegrass performed at it's contemporary finest. As a side note-the liner notes also have some cool pics of a young Bill Monroe and his Bluegrass Boys, looking mighty stylish in their 40's attire, complete with dress hats.

Miss Molly

New in Town
I have no personal favourites at the moment (usually I go through stages!) but instead am slowly browsing though this website :D

(well-known online source for OTR -- sorry, we can't allow a direct link for copyright reasons)

It's a wonderful source, though I'm sure many of you have already found it!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails