Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The California Ramblers

Typing that into my iTunes brings up two pretty sublime groups...
California%20Ramblers.jpg

...Ed Kirkeby's all star session bands of the 20s,
436637066_e9173c5c6a.jpg

...and my man Joe Haymes, the secret agent of swing, who used many aliases.

Luke 42

One of the Regulars
Listening to "Pink Pedal Pushers" by Carl Perkins. One of the best Rockabilly artists of all time!

*thinks*..have to get me some blue suede shoes:)

StaceFace

One of the Regulars
Benjamin Britten - A Ceremony of Carols; "There is No Rose"

Maybe I'm jumping the gun a little when it comes to Christmas music, but ever since I sang this in my college choir, it's been a favorite.

No this is not us :p

It's extremely pretty in person with harp and organ.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to do the washing by --

Now playing, Griff Williams and his Orchestra, with vocalist Dorothy Dee, and "Honey Dear." This is a purple-label OKeh record from November 1941, but it's a real odd one -- everything about it, from the instrumentation, to the arrangement, to the sound of the vocalist, to the song itself, sounds like it was recorded in 1934 and then stuck away in a trunk somewhere. I happen to like this particular style very much, but it must've sounded terribly dated to listeners in 1941, unless thirties nostalgia started earlier than we realize.

Next up, following a commercial for Thayer's Slippery Elm Throat Lozenges -- "You can FEEL them SOOTHE" -- it's an actual 1934 side, with George Hall and his Hotel Taft Orchestra, vocalist Loretta Lee, and "Good Morning Glory."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
green_entrails