Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
When is Hollywood or the NY theater community gonna get with it and peg Harry Connick Jr. for the Hoagy Carmichael Story??

story...aapefioww
BinkieBaumont said:
[YOUTUBE]iQBDN5s8IB0[/YOUTUBE]

"A Hollywood threesome, Jane Russell, Victor Mature, and Victors Shoulder Pads!"

bob_amos

New in Town
Hi all, my first post here and I knew it would have to be in the Radio thread section..

I'm not listening to music but I am listening to a wonderful old time radio show called "The Great Gildersleeve". Harold Peary stared in the early episodes and Willard Waterman took over. I'm presently listening to the Wterman episodes.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Listened to last night (Sunday 9/26), with a new friend I recently met at ballroom dancing...[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/z_-d7TGCFtA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/z_-d7TGCFtA?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
V.C. Brunswick said:
Nat Shilkret and the Victor Orchestra -- I Can't Give You Anything But Love (1929)
Victor 21798

A delightful departure from the usual full orchestral ensemble that was characteristic of Nat Shilkret. Most notable is the predominant organ/violin/guitar combo. The organ in this recording sounds a lot like Fats Waller.

Isn't this recording listed as "Shilkret's Rhythm-Melodists"?

The Rhythm-Melodists was a small novelty group, with only the violonist and trumpeter in common with the usual "Victor Orchestra" line-up. As I recall, Fats Waller is indeed the organist on these sides.

Gilboa

One of the Regulars
Removing the cotton wool ...

... right now we are stuck in thick fog, going on for 2 days. It has found its way into my mindset, removing any ideas for projects I am working on.
And the temptation for a glass of wine (another one) while randomly hovering in my office is great :rolleyes:

But work has to be done so the solution is:

Machito and his orchestra - 'Tin tin deo'
Michel Camilo - 'Caribe' (with Paquito D'Rivera) - see link, what a captivating pianist, who can sit still??
Sexteto Mayor - 'Hotel Victoria' - Sir, where is my rose!
Cal Tjader - 'Mambo Mindoro' - the percussion, delicious!

And my spritis return! :D

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
bob_amos said:
Hi all, my first post here and I knew it would have to be in the Radio thread section..
Welcome to the forum Bob!

---

Current listening: After having given up local record collecting for over 10 years, was hanging out in Chapel Hill waiting for a concert to start, so wondered down the street to a used bookstore where I used to find 78s.... and found THIS, for 10 bucks! Very early Duke Ellington (1930), recording with his orchestra under a pseudonym ("Ten Black Berries") since he was technically under contract to RCA Victor at the time: You just don't FIND this stuff "around" anymore: Someone else already posted it to youtube:

temp_ellington_red_perfect.jpg

(song starts at 1:20)
[youtube]N4WOKTm2ErE[/youtube]

- CH

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Not from the 20s or 30s but ... from the Hit Parade of 1948 - "The Dickie Bird song"

[YOUTUBE]Z6xjqbL6jUk&feature=related[/YOUTUBE]------ have you heard??? :D

iancandler

New in Town
[YOUTUBE]<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2EDtL77ONEw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2EDtL77ONEw?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

Mike in Seattle

My Mail is Forwarded Here
The last few days, it has been the original Broadway cast of Chicago (not the so-so '96 revival nor the horrible movie) since it's an upcoming show at a theater I volunteer for, and I'm handling some marketing & promo this year. On top of that, some 20s musical (Caruso, Sophie Tucker, Paul Whiteman and others) for some lobby mood music ideas I'm working on with a friend. Now if I can only pull off the leap from wine & beer at the lobby bar to Martinis and Sidecars with the board, things will roll on according to plan with the 20s newspaper fonts & ads & props I've found on the net. My ushers & ticket-takers are wrestling with whether they want press badges or FBI for their nametags for that show...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to figure out where I'm gonna come up with the money to fix the car by --

Starting off in 1934 with Ramona and The Park Avenue Boys with a rollicking bit of wasn't-the-Depression-awful, "We're Out Of The Red." Speak for yourself, sister.

Next, following a commercial for Lydia Pinkham's Vegetable Compound for Women -- make mine a double, neat -- it's 1936 with Tommy Dorsey and his Orchestra, with the Dorsey Trio vocalizing on "Gotta Get Up And Go To Work Again." And that's what it always comes down to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran