Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Kahuna

One of the Regulars
I spent the morning listening to local crooners and songbirds. Bing Crosby (Spokane, WA - 80 miles north), Mildred Bailey (Tekoa, WA - 50 miles north) & Lee Morse (Kooskia, ID - 86 miles south).

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
I jump-started Christmas by listening to Buddies Lounge's Holiday Jubilee, with a digitized LP from 1958 Christmas at the Radio City Music Hall. Following that, Stan Freberg's Green Christmas, from the same year. However, I'm not all mistletoe and holly just yet; it takes a little while for me to get warmed up...

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
6_brown_bros_2-t75-f35.jpg

Walkin' the Dog - Six Brown Brothers, 1916. Remember when there used to be saxophones in pop music? Sure you do. Well - it started with these guys.

Liz - I've got only the intro, A Mile A Minute, and outro from the Socony show. I wonder if it's the same show.

Bink - "Vikkii" Carr? Is there more than one of her?

Marla

A-List Customer
The Russian-language version of "Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?" as sung by Leonid Utesov. Though Sovmusic.ru has it listed by its proper name, the CD I have lists it as "Song Of A Jobless American".

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I am listening "Imagination" (1928) Roger W. Kahn Orchestra .... with the amazing tenor voice of Franklyn Baur ... the voices of these vocalists from the 20s and 30s take my breath away !:eusa_clap

Mr. Baur
Image58.jpg

[video=youtube;H1VfPRDXCZI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1VfPRDXCZI[/video]

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Chicago's premier flamethrower, WLS Radio 890* AM :coffee:

The Jack Swarbrick Show
University of Notre Dame Athletic Director

Football season review and post season bowl bids.
The team is showing improvement. :)

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Thursday night I loaded up the mp3 player with my Christmas music (about 504 songs, not counting Christmas radio shows). For the morning commute put it on "shuffle" and voila! my own personal commercial-free Christmas radio station.

Really started feeling seasonal as I enjoyed Diane Krall's very fine take on Jingle Bells, Jack Marshall's performance of Baby, It's Cold Outside with the tune whistled throughout, and a lush orchestral version by Percy Faith ( I think) of Hark, the Herald Angles Sing.

Nik Taylor

One of the Regulars
Sweet Emma "I Ain't Gonna Give Nobody None Of My Jellyroll"

"Sweet Emma" Barrett (March 25, 1897, New Orleans, Louisiana – January 28, 1983) was a self-taught jazz pianist and singer who worked with the Original Tuxedo Orchestra between 1923 and 1936, first under Papa Celestin, then William Ridgely. Also active with Armand Piron, John Robichaux, and Sidney Desvigne, Sweet Emma Barrett was at her most powerful in the early 1960s and became an iconic figure with the Preservation Hall Jazz Band.

0.jpg

[video=youtube;xhtG5YrQ-lY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhtG5YrQ-lY[/video]

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Liz - I've got only the intro, A Mile A Minute, and outro from the Socony show. I wonder if it's the same show.

Possibly -- there are two complete surviving programs, and a bunch of fragments from the rest of the series, all taken from Johnny Green's own discs. Larry Kiner got hold of the whole pile of them in the '80s, and as far as I know his son still sells copies on CD thru Redmond Nostalgia Company.

As for me, I'm currently avoiding listening to anything if I can help it -- music and migraines do not go well together.

Marla

A-List Customer
Would you happen to know where to find Utesov's jazz recordings? There used to be some online here, but the server no longer responds.

Yes, I found some here and here. The only downside is that both sites are in Russian. You can probably use Google Translate on them with relatively-good results though.

Utesov was a prolific singer, and recorded many more songs than what is available online.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Rocketing like a pinball thru the grimy trough of the Major Deegan Expressway toward Westchester and (I hope) wine and supper. Thru my mind runs Isham Jones' rendition of Four Or Five Times, from 1934. If someone from 1934 got a ride on the Deegan, he would be thrilled as a kid on a rolly coaster for about 2 minutes, then throw up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner