Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to hang up a 1938 calendar by --

Starting off in 1933 with Abe Lyman and his Orchestra and a rococo arrangement of "When I Was The Girl On The Scooter and You Were The Boy On The Bike." Try and name another record that includes solos on the xylophone, the accordion, the baritone sax, and church bells.

Next, ahead to 1939 with Kay Kyser and his Orchestra and a Hal Kempish version of "The Merry Old Land Of Oz." Ginny Simms, Sully Mason, and Harry Babbitt team up for a great bit of triple harmony on the vocal, and Harry resists the temptation to throw in a Munchkin impersonation.

martinsantos

Practically Family
Just got yesterday my parent's visit - and with them around 200 78s recordings. From jazz orchestras to brazilian popular music of 30s and 40s.

Jazz orchestras mostly by Glenn Miller. I'm listening them now.

(a lot too of music sheets, from my grandfather! Mostly Harry Reser own music and transcriptions to banjo. A lot of things to play around with).

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to pass a dreary rainy Last Day Of Vacation by --

Forgot I even owned a fine album set from 1938 by the Victor Light Opera Company of "Gems From Jerome Kern Musical Shows." Great medleys of tunes from The Girl From Utah, Very Good Eddie, Leave It To Jane, Oh Boy!, Show Boat, Sally, The Cat And The Fiddle, Sweet Adeline, Roberta, and Music In The Air. Some of the most important American music of the 1910s, 1920s, and early 30s presented in its original style -- great listening.

Unfortunately, there is a big cookie bite out of the rim on the first record in the set, which apparently happened in storage. Anybody got a good loose copy of Victor Red Seal 12413 from set C-31, manual sequence?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner