Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
4616416659_135c9607df.jpg

My Fox Trot Girl - Six Brown Brothers, 1917. All this foxtrotting had to start somewhere.

The Old Ark Is Moverin' - Noble Sissle & International Orch., 1934. Bro. Deacon Lowdowne discourses on the subject of Noah, who built him a ark.

Pickin' Cotton and If You Don't Love Me - "Paul Whiteman & Orch.," 1928. Why the quote marks? The band is actually Ben Selvin's Columbia house musickers imitating Whiteman - using his instrumentation and probably his arrangements, and doing a danged good job of it, too. Ben must really have screwed up booking dates with PW, because he had to do this not once, but twice!

Last edited:

Espee

Practically Family
Shows from the quirky comedy series "Vic and Sade" (right now, circa 1939.) In the "Hats" forum the question "Does this sort of hat look good on me?" comes up often, and I just heard an episode where Vic has turned up (once again) with a wide-brimmed hat, even though Sadie keeps telling him, "It makes you look like a peeled onion."
I got them as mp3's from otrcat.com

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
This from Ted Weems not from his later period of late thirties and forties but rather from the early - mid twenties, when he was one of the great dance bands of the era ... even tho i prefer late 20s, this one i find very satisfying! :)

His star in Hollywood Walk of Fame ... every Dance Band of the 20s and 30s deserves one.

ted_weems_recording.jpg

Just as a note aside,the Weems orchestra was among those playing for the inaugural of President Warren Harding.

Ted Weems Orchestra - If I Ever Cry (You'll Never Know) 1925
[video=youtube;g03VxAfKy9g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g03VxAfKy9g[/video]

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Shows from the quirky comedy series "Vic and Sade" (right now, circa 1939.) In the "Hats" forum the question "Does this sort of hat look good on me?" comes up often, and I just heard an episode where Vic has turned up (once again) with a wide-brimmed hat, even though Sadie keeps telling him, "It makes you look like a peeled onion."
I got them as mp3's from otrcat.com

Ahhh, Vic 'n' Sade, some of the best radio writing around. One of my personal favorites.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
This from Ted Weems not from his later period of late thirties and forties but rather from the early - mid twenties, when he was one of the great dance bands of the era ... even tho i prefer late 20s, this one i find very satisfying! :)
Me too. I'll follow up with one of Joe Haymes' punchy yet eloquent charts for the band - I Lost My Gal Again, 1931.
I was takin' her home / Actin' high toned / I look around and I'm walkin' alone...

Last edited:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Me too. I'll follow up with one of Joe Haymes' punchy yet eloquent charts for the band - I Lost My Gal Again, 1931.
I was takin' her home / Actin' high toned / I look around and I'm walkin' alone...

I like it :)

Ted Weems and Red Ingle (1906-1965) vocalist in this song. As a young man Ingle played saxophone in several dance bands. In 1932 he joined the popular band led by Ted Weems

[video=youtube;FhvL4h3v73U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FhvL4h3v73U[/video]

Red and Bix! ... but that's another song... :D

2539319894_5c42757ea8.jpg

Bourne ID

One of the Regulars
Anyone else love Pandora Radio?! Easy subscription, totally customizable "stations". I've found their "library" to be fairly substantial. I wish that xm radio in the car was set up like that, where you could "create" your own stations. I put the satellite radio in the car last year and still get bored with 200 channels, most of it crap. I suppose I shouldn't complain...still way better than the 5 local radio broadcasts! We lost the local "Oldies" station years ago, nothing left but pop,rap and heavy metal.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to feel the glowering presence of Doing My Taxes by --

Starting off in 1934 with one of my favorite Fats Waller and His Rhythm tunes, "Don't Let It Bother You." Poor Herman Autrey -- his old lady done run off with the iceman, and his daughter run off with the undertaker, an' he's about to die, ain't got nobody to bury him.

Next, it's 1932 with Ben Bernie and All The Lads, and the Ol' Maestro himself declaring "Let's Put Out The Lights And Go To Sleep." That Uncle Benny, you know, he had a few too many.

Havelka's Melody Makers -- Cheek To Cheek
(vocals by Dana Simicova, Petra Kohoutova, & Olga Bimova)

[video=youtube;IN85Ds2yqTk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IN85Ds2yqTK&feature=related[/video]

rue

Feeling spicy with Peggy Lee:

[video=youtube;8j0xYRzlrbk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8j0xYRzlrbk[/video]

He's a Tramp:
[video=youtube;IwR4JewmdWU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwR4JewmdWU[/video]

Last edited:

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Deep Hollow - Ray Noble & New Mayfair Orch., 1929. A US import hot tune by bandleader Mickey Guy. Norman Payne, the British Bix Beiderbecke, features on trumpet.

Manhattan Shuffle - Ramblers Dance Orch., 1933. This was the Dutch idea of swing music, a little raw, but exciting. AIUI, there's been a band called The Ramblers continuously over there since the late '20s.

S-L-U-E Foot - California Ramblers, 1927. An early appreciation of them big bog-stompin' gals. You'll have to go hear Coon-Sanders' record for the lyric, but here you get bumptious bass saxophone from Adrian Rollini - unless it's his protegé, Spencer Clark.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner