Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Latest part-time obsession: finding "when they were starting out" cassette demo tape dubs (Ben Gibbard, Kurt Cobain, etc...)

===================

The "Complete Tommy Dorsey" 16-LP set put out by RCA/Bluebird in the 1970s... got & finally played thru all 8 volumes: :eusa_clap Had to hear it all, before I pass it back along to ebay...

temp_td_set.jpg

Too bad RCA quit the series after 8 volumes, starting from 1935; they'd only gotten up through 1939, when the band was just really getting to their peak... still, some really Hilarious campy novelty stuff in there from the early days, and many "WOW, this should've been a Major Hit" discoveries.

Wish I could share some tracks. Like the one from around 1935 where the band drops out entirely for 2 minutes to just the sound of the girl tap-dancing. Can almost hear the guys in the control booth: "Should we tell her they won't be able to SEE her on the record?" "Naaah, the kid's having too much fun!"

Why hasn't there ever been a "complete T.D. on RCA" CD box set, at least a reissue of the LPs through 39...

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Wow, that is so cool Hepcat!!

Right now I'm listening to my nearly 30 pound cat sleeping. She snores louder than some men I know, sometimes so loudly she startles herself and wakes herself up. I think she might just have sleep apnea. When she's not snoring she makes little squeeky noises, little dreamy noises like a baby makes, sweet little cooing sounds. A sound of complete and utter contentment. Sometimes she gets a nose whistle, that can be very entertaining! Well that's the "music" i listen to every night before bed. Between her and my other cat who makes a strange clicking and gulping noise, and then decides she wants to have a very loud conversation with her toy mice at 3 in the morning, I don't get much sleep. My 80 pound dog was quieter than the two of them![huh] Music to my ears:D

Cousin Hepcat

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
...Sometimes she gets a nose whistle, that can be very entertaining... and my other cat who makes a strange clicking and gulping noise...
lol lol lol :eusa_clap

Trampilot

Familiar Face
I have a confession. I've done something that I can hardly believe.

Ladies and gentlemen of the lounge. I have purchased a Christina Aguilera album. To my credit though it is the Back To Basics double with the infamous "Candyman".

CD1 is a bit pants though at the moment.

Miss Lucy June

One of the Regulars
I've been listening to Louis Prima a lot lately.

"IIIIII ain't got nobody...Won't some sweet mama come and take a chance with me cause I aint so bad"

I understand, Louis.

beaucaillou

A-List Customer
Lots of modern things, and lots of post-classical still, but with this weather change I'm craving some Monk, Baker, Armstrong, and Bird.

Current:
* Dirty Three & Low
* Clint Mansell
* Explosions in the Sky
* Pleasure Forever (specifically the song 'Czarina')
* (smog) - peel sessions
* Klima

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
Trampilot said:
I have a confession. I've done something that I can hardly believe.

Ladies and gentlemen of the lounge. I have purchased a Christina Aguilera album. To my credit though it is the Back To Basics double with the infamous "Candyman".

CD1 is a bit pants though at the moment.

As much as I looked forward to the CD, and I loved her Candyman video, I thought the music wasn't much different than what is out there today. The track where she sings about what the fans have written to her made me gag.

She is a real hottie though and I don't mind her music - but don't try to pass it off as being influenced by the great jazz icons of yesteryear.

Barry

Practically Family
In a Garage Mood

The Nomads, "Showdown!":

Have love will travel
I'm a Ding Dong Daddy
Psycho

The Dukes of Hamburg, "Some Folks":

Monkey, Monkey
Off the Hook
Old McDonald lol :p

Barry

Rafter

Suspended
DanielJones said:
Currently... on XM 70's on 7, Paper lace with "The Night Chicago Died".:)
Cheers!
Dan

That was so badd!
Somehow I always equate that song with Clapton's "I Shot The Sheriff"!

Trampilot

Familiar Face
Brian Sheridan said:
As much as I looked forward to the CD, and I loved her Candyman video, I thought the music wasn't much different than what is out there today. The track where she sings about what the fans have written to her made me gag.

She is a real hottie though and I don't mind her music - but don't try to pass it off as being influenced by the great jazz icons of yesteryear.

Having listened to the rest of the CD I'm quite disappointed. Candyman was the high point but you're right - it isn't a lot different from anything out there.

To cheer myself up I've started listening to Portishead. Now that's original.

MKL

A-List Customer
Listening to "The Unexpected".

"Life is filled with the unexpected. Romantic,tragic and mysterious endings..."

15 minute program. Terrible organ music at the beginning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff