Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

Nigel Fisher

New in Town
I've got lots of bands on my playlist at the moment.

Einsturzaende Neubauten
E Nomine
Scooter
Boston
Journey
Genesis
The Eagles
The Beatles
The Bangles
INXS
UB40
Epica
Angra
Savatage
Trans-Siberian Orchestra
Cincinnati Pops Orchestra
London Symphony
WVHB 2007 Music
The Dresden Dolls
The Meat Puppets
The Alan Parsons Project
OMD
ELO
Cats
The Phantom of the Opera

I'm sure there are more, there always is...

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
CharlesB said:
Cage in a Cave by RASPUTINA

I think you and I will have plenty to talk about when we meet! If you throw some Portishead in your mix... :)

Nigel Fisher- Didn't think anyone else out there knows Enomine! Everytime I request it when I'm out they don't seem to know who I'm talking about. Do you like the bands on Metropolis Record label as well?

pgoat

One Too Many
wish we were still in bed - just finished marathon grocery shopping for the month and am chilling out with some vintage Pat Martino from the mid-70s.....

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Getting ready for tonight's Oscar Party at work, and listening to a stack of Bing Crosby 78s from the late thirties. Listening to these, it's hard to think of another singer in any format who was more consistently *excellent* than Crosby was during the stretch from 1936 to 1939. There's a reason why he was the defining voice of his generation.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Yeah. Outside of Billie Holiday, nobody in that short period could touch Bing for hip and musicality. And Billie didn't have nearly the straight-ahead pop chops - not her thing. And Ella Fitzgerald was still a fresh kid, and Sinatra still hanging around the back doors of dance halls waiting for the bands to load in.

Al Bowlly still had the stuff, but after the Ray Noble gig ended in '36, it seems the public tired of him and he sometimes sounded as tho he was phoning it in. Tho of course, Bowlly phoning it in was still head and shoulders over most singers.

I don't think the late '30s was a great era for solo vocalists. They'd get their turn soon enough.

Today I'm listening to Crown House Band Vol.1, the two-bit records with the top class musicians from 1931-'32. Sadly, the one man who put these out passed away and so there are no plans for a Vol. 2.

pgoat

One Too Many
I agree with the above - I do think the recording technology then available limited them however.

I would love to hear Bessie Smith, Pete Turner, and other "shouters" of the pre-war era recorded on modern equipment....then again, their distinctive styles were doubtlessly shaped by the technology of their times...

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
I'm reading an autobiography of a woman living in post war Austria early 1950s. She talks about a baroness who owns the apartment building she lived in disallowing music being played because it was "uncivilized'. How could one appreciate the music they were listening to when it sounded as it was coming from the insides of a tin can?

While I don't completely agree, just imagine the difference when you'd go to see them live? *sigh*

Nigel Fisher

New in Town
Cherry_Bombb said:
Nigel Fisher- Didn't think anyone else out there knows Enomine! Everytime I request it when I'm out they don't seem to know who I'm talking about. Do you like the bands on Metropolis Record label as well?

I absolutely LOVE KMFDM, MSI and Meat Beat Manifesto. I listen to quite a bit of their stuff, as well. Have you ever listened to MC 900 Foot Jesus? He's a rapper/experimental musician, with a heavy emphasis on the experimental aspect. SomaFM.com is also good for our quirky music ;).

Oh, and call me Nigel :).

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
Nigel Fisher said:
I absolutely LOVE KMFDM, MSI and Meat Beat Manifesto. I listen to quite a bit of their stuff, as well. Have you ever listened to MC 900 Foot Jesus? He's a rapper/experimental musician, with a heavy emphasis on the experimental aspect. SomaFM.com is also good for our quirky music ;).

Oh, and call me Nigel :).

Ok Nigel!
Lol- I love KMFDM or MDFMK depending on the day of the week. And I adore MSI. Are you familiar w/ Combichrist? I did Andy's stage clothes for his last world tour.

Never heard of MC 900 Foot Jesus. I'll take a listen!

Nigel Fisher

New in Town
Cherry_Bombb said:
Ok Nigel!
Lol- I love KMFDM or MDFMK depending on the day of the week. And I adore MSI. Are you familiar w/ Combichrist? I did Andy's stage clothes for his last world tour.

Never heard of MC 900 Foot Jesus. I'll take a listen!

I've heard of them, and know some who listen avidly. That's amazing that you did World Tour stage clothes! Talk about knowing people in high circles...I'll look up and listen to Combichrist! A great (though somewhat generic) prog/symphonic metal band that you may like is Angra. Amusingly enough, they did a cover of Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights! The lead singer did a remarkable falsetto for that.

CharlesB

Suspended
Nigel Fisher said:
I've heard of them, and know some who listen avidly. That's amazing that you did World Tour stage clothes! Talk about knowing people in high circles...I'll look up and listen to Combichrist! A great (though somewhat generic) prog/symphonic metal band that you may like is Angra. Amusingly enough, they did a cover of Kate Bush's Wuthering Heights! The lead singer did a remarkable falsetto for that.
heyyyyyyyy Kate Bush is playing right now. Running UP that Hill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy