Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

just_me

Practically Family
The Gershwins' Oh, Kay!

311mLlXuLLL._SL500_AA190_.jpg

Ethan Bentley

One Too Many
I've recently got an internet radio and so I spend most of my time listening between. Flaming Oldies, Bublé Bath and the BBC World Service.

Now playing: Earth, Wind & Fire - Shining Star, I'm obviously in some timewarp and have travelled into the future where you can no longer clearly understand lyrics. :)

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
carouselvic said:
Right now it's Doc Watson....it just doesn't get any better than this!

When I went to ASU (years ago), Doc Watson put on a concert every year at the auditorium on campus. He donated all the gate receipts to the local volunteer fire department. Great music by a great man.

carouselvic

I'll Lock Up
Love the Carter Family. Have you read the book WILL YOU MISS ME WHEN I'M GONE? Excellent read, if you like the Carter family. Good stuff, Maynard!!!

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
carouselvic said:
Love the Carter Family. Have you read the book WILL YOU MISS ME WHEN I'M GONE? Excellent read, if you like the Carter family. Good stuff, Maynard!!!

Haven't read the book, but guess I will now ...

Kermez

A-List Customer
A little OT, but I didn't know where else to put this, and I wanted to share (and boast a little) of a personal project with which I've been quite busy and had been neglecting for far too long.

I "ripped" all my CDs to my computer, synced them up to my Zune 80, copied them to my portable hard drive 160, loaded them onto my wife's computer, and selected my son's favorites and synced them to his Zune 30.

Actually, it wasn't ALL of our CDs - I didn't do the ones that are "my wife's", the ones she likes but I don't. Still, it was something over 95% of our music, so it was quite a task - rip them, loading the CORRECT artist, album title, song titles, dates, and genres. Amazing how often the autoload feature on Windows media player got some of the little details wrong. I'm a stickler for the details, so it was quite the job to get all the information 100% correct (or as close to it as unreasonable possible).

Over 14,000 songs, almost 60 gigs of music.

I did about half of it a year or two ago, and supplemented when I'd get a new CD, but still, I wanted as complete a collection as possible, so it took around a month - in between work and sleep and whatnot - to finish the job.

FINISHED! YES!

anon`

One Too Many
Kermez said:
A little OT, but I didn't know where else to put this, and I wanted to share (and boast a little) of a personal project with which I've been quite busy and had been neglecting for far too long.

I "ripped" all my CDs to my computer, synced them up to my Zune 80, copied them to my portable hard drive 160, loaded them onto my wife's computer, and selected my son's favorites and synced them to his Zune 30.

Actually, it wasn't ALL of our CDs - I didn't do the ones that are "my wife's", the ones she likes but I don't. Still, it was something over 95% of our music, so it was quite a task - rip them, loading the CORRECT artist, album title, song titles, dates, and genres. Amazing how often the autoload feature on Windows media player got some of the little details wrong. I'm a stickler for the details, so it was quite the job to get all the information 100% correct (or as close to it as unreasonable possible).

Over 14,000 songs, almost 60 gigs of music.

I did about half of it a year or two ago, and supplemented when I'd get a new CD, but still, I wanted as complete a collection as possible, so it took around a month - in between work and sleep and whatnot - to finish the job.

FINISHED! YES!
Should you ever be possessed to do this again (and I say again, because one should never transcode lossy into lossless formats) I cannot recommend EAC strongly enough. Native support for any codec worth ripping to (I suggest FLAC) and excellent error checking and correction.

Plus, it bangs against freedb on album lookup, and if the album exists in freedb (better than 99% of my very often "obscure" collection) one rarely needs to correct anything but the genre, which does take some liberties.

But I digress...

I'm at work at the moment, so no music for me. But I do have a song by Korpiklaani cycling through my head. Bugger all if I can peg the title, but it's got this really cool bass bridge right in the middle of it. I think it's off of either [Tales Along This Road] or [Tervaskanto].

PS~ Korpiklaani will be making their first ever North American tour in April/May, along with Moonsorrow and Eluveitie. Or maybe I'm the only one on these forums that would really get excited about that...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner