Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
HadleyH said:
This was really a very popular song in the late 20s and early 30s. It always appears in so many movies from that period.

It's called "Turn on the Heat"(1929)
(1929 was such a good year for great songs! :eusa_clap )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmMRkXXsDHk&feature=related

That's the best recording of it, too, made long before Heidt turned into the low-rent version of Kay Kyser. The tune was written for a wonderful 1929 Fox musical, "Sunny Side Up," and the production number needs to be seen to be believed.

anon`

One Too Many
Korpiklaani - Isku pitkästä ilosta

61qGxtAPNNL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

anon`

One Too Many
J.L. Picard said:
I am right there with you friend, I love it. The Vodka song is fantastic...:eusa_clap
It's a good album. They're getting farther and farther away from Shaman with every new album, though. I remember in an interview some time ago, Jonne referred to Korpiklaani as being a 'folk band with metal influences' as opposed to a metal band with folk influences (like Ensiferum or Finntroll, say). But I really like the direction they're growing in, unlike some other bands that I've liked in the past.

And they're all kinds of fun live! Jarkko also said he'd sell me his bass when they came through Portland last year with Paganfest. They're planning another tour this autumn/winter... I wonder if he'll remember?

Now playing: Vesaisen sota

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
That Haymes Guy, Again

1070_1070.jpg

Spinning a few iTunes of the 1934 Joe Haymes ork, just a good solid outfit with effective arrangements that made many a song better than it really was. The Bathtub Ran Over Again (what a title!)...I Saw Stars...I Wish I Were Twins...Mandy...some solid solo spots, too, by Bud Freeman on tenor, Joe Yukl on trombone, and a few other cats we're not sure of. Too bad that tuba-guitar and brushes beat never quite became the fashion - it's infectious.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to greet a chilly fall-is-just-around-the-corner morning by --

Now playing, Ted Weems and his Orchestra from 1935 with a relentlessly snappy-peppy arrangement of "You Can't Pull The Wool Over My Eyes." Vocal by the demon barber of Canonsburg, young Perry Como.

Next up, following a few words from Willie the Penguin for Kools, it's Ozzie Nelson and his Orchestra in 1931 and "On The Beach With You." Ozzie's vocal sounds like he's squeezing the mike stand so hard it'll break in half.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Fans of the 1990-1993 comedy series "Jeeves and Wooster" might remember Bertie Wooster (Hugh Laurie) playing this on the piano to Gussie Fink-Nottle...

I am listening to:

Jack Hylton and His Orchestra - "I Lift Up My Finger and I say: 'Tweet Tweet!'" (Rec. 1929).

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
"A Positive Marvel"

blanche.gif
blanche.jpg

Blanche Calloway, Cab's sizzling, swinging sister, with her Joy Boys big band in 1931, doing a gutty 4/4 take on Without That Gal! with the last word changed to Man!
Supposedly you couldn't do that back then...but with Blanche's brassy appeal, RCA probably figured, better leave well enough alone.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
Tomorrow is the 1st of September. On the 1st of September, 1939, 70 years ago, Nazi German forces invaded Poland, starting the Second World War.

To commemorate this historic event, I am listening to...

Spike Jones and His City Slickers - "Der Fuehrer's Face!"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jusa80