Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you listening to?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to catch up from oversleeping by --

Starting off in 1935 with a selection from "Porgy and Bess," as performed by the original Sportin' Life, Avon Long, backed by Leo Reisman and his Orchestra, "I Got Plenty Of Nuttin'." Somebody's been looking at my bank statements.

Next, the Milt Herth Trio in 1939 with a brain-worming rendition of "Monkeys Have No Tails In Pago Pago." There's just something about a hot Hammond organ solo that brings out the majesty in a silly thirties novelty tune.

Carlisle Blues

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Annette Hanshaw ~~~Love Me Tonight~~~~~:)

Beautiful Flapper - 1920's Fashion Movie in Color

[YOUTUBE]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-gvrHl3okfg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-gvrHl3okfg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gvrHl3okfg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
Star Gazing, a pleasant Jerry Levinson tune (most of his were), played by the Barbary Coast Orchestra of Dartmouth College in 1935 on Decca. Every college worth anything had its own dance band then, but the "Coast" was an institution. Nonetheless, they did only the one platter for Decca, and no more.

Ephraim Tutt

One Too Many
Phil Keaggy - Beyond Nature

1392_06_16_2007_10_13_03_beyond%20nature.jpg

Avalon

A-List Customer
At the risk of being pelted with tomatoes, Adam Lambert's new album. Bought it for Mom (she's a total fangirl), but am pleasantly surprised! A fun bit of dance pop fluff.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Looking at below-zero weather in a couple of days, so I'm listening to more baseball in a desperate attempt to deny the inevitable: today's contest pits the Brooklyn Dodgers against the Chicago Cubs on June 4, 1957. Vin Scully calls the action, in his seventh major-league season, and sounds exactly as he would 52 years later -- all except for the constant cajoling to "light up a Lucky."

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Savannah Syncopators- El Rado Scuffle
Lloyd Smith's Gut-Bucketeers- Wake up Sinners
Lawrence Welk Novelty Ork.- Spiked Beer
Roy Wilson And the Georgia Crackers- Deserted Blues
Dorsey Brothers- Spell of the Blues
Russell's Hot Six - Sweet Mumtaz
Jelly Roll Morton - The Crave
Kansas City Frank Melrose - Pass the Jug
Little Brother Montgomery - Shreveport Farewell
Paul Howard Quality Serenaders - The Ramble

Now where's that "tears of joy" smilie?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
78s to hold the refrigerator door open in hopes of warming up the kitchen by --

Starting off in 1933, with Rudy Vallee and his Connecticut Yankees and a slick version of "Flying Down To Rio." Rio by the Sea-o. That Gus Kahn was such a wag.

Next, Jimmy Dorsey and his Orchestra with their contribution to the Bizarre Novelty Record Hit Parade of 1936, "What's The Reason I'm Not Pleasing You?" That's Jimmy himself on the clarinet, making chicken-clucking sounds and other equally disturbing noises. Somewhere Ted Lewis's ears are burning.

Lenore

Practically Family
Dino - Baby it's Cold Outside. Christmas with the Rat Pack.

file_4_6.jpg

and Diana Krall with the Clayton-Hamilton Jazz Orchestra. Christmas Songs.

1q52fr.jpg

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
The hat or the lady?
The lady or the hat?

All right, I pick the lady. Hats come and go. Besides, I happen to know she's into guys who are musical, nearsighted, and losing their hair.
elvis_costello.jpg

In that vein, how about I Surrender Dear, by the "Let's Dance Band" of Benny Goodman in 1935.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
usleathermart