Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Oscar

New in Town
Currently going through A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens... actually I haven't read it in the past couple days, I should really get to it. It's a good book.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Over the past week or so I've finished Alexander Baron's excellent 'spiv' novel, "The Lowlife"; very much enjoyed the cantankerous Ray Milland's autobio, "Wide-Eyed In Babylon"; found David Ritz's bio of jazz vocalist 'Little' Jimmy Scott, "Faith In Time", quite touching; and laughed quite heartily at the pomp of Peter York's "Style Wars"...

I'm currently a third of the way through the Pythons' autobiography, which is pretty great, and halfway into Rick Bragg's beautiful "Eva's Man"...

Next up is Max Decharné's "King's Road - The Rise And Fall Of The Hippest Street In The World" (sadly, it was all 'fall' when I worked there), and Glenn David Gold's "Sunnyside", which I've heard is a bit of a dog's dinner but I'll give it a try...

Marla

A-List Customer
"Orchids On Your Budget -- or, Live Smartly On What You Have," by Marjorie Hillis, the 1937 sequel to her best-selling "Live Alone And Like It." Sage advice for the single woman trying to live elegantly on a diminished income, presented in a delightfully hands-on-hips-and-tossed-curls manner. The gals here who haven't discovered Hillis's books need to head to Bookfinder pronto -- she's a woman for our time.

Sound like just the book I need! I'm going to try to get a copy.

natidahling

New in Town
"Orchids On Your Budget -- or, Live Smartly On What You Have," by Marjorie Hillis, the 1937 sequel to her best-selling "Live Alone And Like It." Sage advice for the single woman trying to live elegantly on a diminished income, presented in a delightfully hands-on-hips-and-tossed-curls manner. The gals here who haven't discovered Hillis's books need to head to Bookfinder pronto -- she's a woman for our time.

Sound like just the book I need! I'm going to try to get a copy.

Me too, me too!
So glad I looked at this thread!
Thanks LizzieM :)

MikeBravo

One Too Many
Currently reading 'Lovers' by Linda Sunshine about on-screen and off-screen romances, review: "Entertaining, albeit familiar gossip, trivia and melodramatic plot lines pepper the pages. Reading about these real and fictional affairs may prompt a trip to the video shop to rent a few screen classics"

c07a81b0c8a04b3b7145b110.L._AA300_.jpg

Last edited:
Albatros Aces of World War 1 (Aircraft of the Aces 32)
by Norman Franks
(Botley, Oxford, UK: Osprey Publishing, 2000)

Titanic: Sinking the Myths
by D.E. Bristow
(Fresno, CA: Katco Literary Group, 1995)

and last but not least this recent eBay find...

Flying Scale Models of WWII
by William C. Northrop, Jr. (editor)
(Santa Ana, CA: Model Builder Magazine, 1974)

In the past two weeks it's been Raymond Chandler's "The Long Goodbye" (1953), Clifton Adams' "Never Say No To A Killer" (1956), and J.L. Bourne's "Day By Day Armageddon" (2009 ed.) and "Beyond Exile: Day By Day Armageddon" (2010). Three very different authors but all very entertaining!

scotrace

Head Bartender
Staff member
I'm reading The Foucault Reader: An introduction to Foucault's thought. My particular interest is his idea of "subjectification", "the way a human being turns him- or her-self into a subject", willfully bowing to "authority" of whatever social power structure.

Absolutely mindblowing.

bk

Seeking it out. Thanks.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
The Hilliker Curse - My Pursuit of Women by James Ellroy.

I loved his first autobiography My Dark Places - I have tried to read some of his fiction but couldn't quite get into it but may return to it again at some stage.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
I'm reading The Foucault Reader: An introduction to Foucault's thought. My particular interest is his idea of "subjectification", "the way a human being turns him- or her-self into a subject", willfully bowing to "authority" of whatever social power structure.

Absolutely mindblowing.

bk

Depuis universite jours, j'ai toujours pense qu'il etait un tad surfaite comme philosophe.
Veuillez ecrire un examen de Foucault quand vous avez fini sil vous plait.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The Hilliker Curse - My Pursuit of Women by James Ellroy.
, he recall
- I have tried to read some of his fiction but couldn't quite...

Do you favor Samuel Beckett? In some aspect he recalls Joyce to mind; though the two are, of course, quite different.
(I'll bet Morse liked Beckett....) ;)

over-rated or not, he was certainly a relatively unique voice at the time.

Pretty much everyone I knew in the US had serious issues - fundamental issues of interpretations - with the ideas of The Existentialists and everyone French who came after, whereas in European circles their arguments have been incorporated and built upon. We may have a cross-Atlantic cultural difference going on with regards to Foucault too?

Depuis universite jours, j'ai toujours pense qu'il etait un tad surfaite comme philosophe.
Veuillez ecrire un examen de Foucault quand vous avez fini sil vous plait.

Feraud

Bartender
Recently finished The Enigma War- The Inside Story of the German Enigma Codes and How the Allies Broke Them by
Jozef Garlinski.
The book was an eye-opening account of the huge role Polish cryptanalysts played in breaking the German enigma.
A great read.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points