Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

DNO

One Too Many
Finished rereading the first installment of the Flashman Papers. The delopement at the duel is quite good, and of course there's Flashman's survival at Piper's Fort. Nothing like a bounder that makes good in spite of himself.

Don't forget: a self-confessed cad, womanizer, cheat and coward! Quite a good hand at languages, though. The Flashman Papers are one of my absolute favourite series of books.

Hi TOE,

I saw some of his books in a local bookstore last week. Very expensive! I'll wait until I find more at flea markets or used book stores! :)

X
BD

Good evening B. Dahlia,
One more reason Amazon is a good friend of mine. I was able to load up on Simenon many years ago for a pretty decent price. You can fnd used versions selling for pretty cheap prices. Best of luck in your search.
:D

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Nothing like a bounder that makes good in spite of himself.

Don't forget: a self-confessed cad, womanizer, cheat and coward! Quite a good hand at languages, though.

...a good soldier adjusts and adapts, makes the terrain work to his advantage---

A chance find: Samuel Taylor Coleridge, A Bondage of Opium by Molly Lefebure

Last edited:

VintageBee

One of the Regulars
Getting ready to read, "The Poisoners Handbook". Is a Jazz Age tale of chemistry and detection, poison and murder.
And then there is, "The Shell Seekers", by Rosamunde Pilcher, which I re-read at least once a year. It takes place in the current day but then recalls a woman's life growing up during WWII.

VintageBee

One of the Regulars
LOL! I love him too much to even think about that ;)
Actually, he was given the book by our county Agriculture commissioner! (He's definitely not a reader).

There is an interesting book I haven't finished reading yet titled, The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society. It takes place in WWII

Last edited:

cw3pa

A-List Customer
Finished reading Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier this mourning. It's amazing how closely Hitchcock and Selznick's script stayed to the story line. And We still don't know her name.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Just finished Tom Robb Smith's "Child 44", a brilliant and rollercoaster thriller set in Stalinist Russia.

And today just started "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon and I already love it.

Just finished Tom Robb Smith's "Child 44", a brilliant and rollercoaster thriller set in Stalinist Russia.

And today just started "The Shadow of the Wind" by Carlos Ruiz Zafon and I already love it.

I have both books, but have yet to get to either. I am going to have to live well past 150 years of age to make it through my library.

Sylvesterd

Familiar Face
Check out the Agent Pendergast series from Lincoln Child and Douglas Preston. I think their character Special Agent Alyosius Pendergast would read this blog. He deals with crimes of an unusual nature, always wears a suit, has refined tastes and drives a vintage Rolls. Not Hemingway but a good beach read

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

maduro 5

A-List Customer
Robert Harris "An Officer and a Spy". It arrived today, had it pre-ordered, it hit the stores last week. 1895 "Dreyfus" affair, as it was called.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
I have both books, but have yet to get to either. I am going to have to live well past 150 years of age to make it through my library.

Hi TOE,

"Child 44" is excellent and does a wonderful job of conveying the paranoia and terror of the Soviet regime under Stalin. I honestly couldn't put it down, it's one of those books where you miss your train stop because you've got your nose so buried in it.

Only just started "The Shadow of the Wind" but it's so intriguing and the writing is really beautiful - also testament to Lucia Graves (Robert Graves' daughter) who translated it.

Definitely put either of these at the top of your next to read list.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy