Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Kishtu

Practically Family
Elizabeth Goudge, "Towers in the Mist".

I love EG, no matter what period they're written about her books seem to have the feel of the Golden Age to me. There is just a certain innocence and clarity of purpose that's quintessentially English.

PDF's of various dates' issues of Navy OP-38-E from '42-'45, detailing how many of what aircraft were with each squadron, and where they were, along with the locations and loadouts of the carriers.

Dry? Yes. Dull? Yes. Unbelievably boring? You'd better believe it! But, it's for a project I'm working on...

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by Doran
And nowadays it is very hard to tell "good" art from twittering nonsense and smears.

Ah, my friend, this was, I suspect, true in other days. Which is why I buy what I like and like what I buy. Although, it is true, I also buy as an investment. Which is what Ms. Stein was alluding to. I buy many books for the same reason. A. to read and B. as an investment.
In apparel, however, I buy what I like and wear what I buy. Which is to say, I wear what I like. Sartorially, I like to think we're all somewhat alike in that respect.
So, Ladies and Gentlemen of the Lounge, I'm happy to join Doran in applauding your Movable Art. :)

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I suddenly took a short vacation from WSC because I saw a book on a bookseller's table on Broadway the day before yesterday. The book is "Two O'Clock Eastern War Time", by John Dunning. It's a sort of Raymond Chandleresque thriller set in a radio station in New Jersey during WW II. Much fun, and very evocative of the home front during the war.
It seems right up Lizzie Maine's alley, and I think I'll send it to her when I finish it. I read the auther's bio online, and he seems like my kind of guy.

nyx

One of the Regulars
Just read the 7th Harry Potter, The Discipline Book by William Sears (an attached parenting book), and :eek: a few sewing books, because the ladies in the lounge have inspired me to try making my own clothes.

carter

I'll Lock Up
Originally posted by dhermann1
The book is "Two O'Clock Eastern War Time", by John Dunning.

Excellent novel. I have two 1st editions. John Dunning is one of my favorite madern authors. His Bookman series ranks with the best in modern crime fiction. If you run across more of his books, they're worth a read. You're correct, Lizzie should enjoy it. Carter

Dr Doran

My Mail is Forwarded Here
carter said:
Ah, my friend, this was, I suspect, true in other days. Which is why I buy what I like and like what I buy. Although, it is true, I also buy as an investment. Which is what Ms. Stein was alluding to. I buy many books for the same reason. A. to read and B. as an investment.
In apparel, however, I buy what I like and wear what I buy. Which is to say, I wear what I like. Sartorially, I like to think we're all somewhat alike in that respect.
So, Ladies and Gentlemen of the Lounge, I'm happy to join Doran in applauding your Movable Art. :)

Very sensible. Carter, you are a gentleman, a bon vivant, and a scholar.

Jeynne

New in Town
Cagney by Cagney.

I've bookmarked practically the entire thing. James Cagney knew so many interesting people, and in his autobiography he included some really fascinating stories about them.

S

Samsa

Just finished "The Small Rain" by Madeleine L'Engle, and am now starting its sequel, "A Severed Wasp."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn