Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Chas

One Too Many
I always have several on the go at once.

"I, Claudius" by Robert Graves.
"Annals of Imperial Rome" by Tacitus.
"Helmet For My Pillow" by Robert Leckie.

There are at least four I have picked up and put down but will pick up again.

Historyguy13

New in Town
Just finished Life by Keith Richards (excellent) and, coincidentally, started Hero: The Life and Legend of Lawrence of Arabia by Michael Korda. Korda is long-winded, and not for the T.E. Lawrence novice, so I also began The Authorized Biography by Jeremy Wilson. I've had Wilson's biography of Lawrence for awhile, but as they say, no book shall be read before its time.

Historyguy13

New in Town
Ever read Anton Myrer's Once An Eagle?; a tale about an Army
mustang's rise to lieutenant general from the Villa chase through advisory
period Saigon. Myrer, a WWII Marine and Harvard alum was required
reading at the War College. My Marine uncle had passed the book on to me
when I was a kid and it made an indelible impression; all the more so years
afterward when I returned to it as a student. I believe that Myrer may have
based his protagonist in OAE on Terry Allen.

Myrer also wrote The Last Convertible, a Harvard paean well worth
the time.

I recently finnished Once an Eagle ...couldn't put it down, and didn't want to see it come to an end. Another novel that had been collecting dust on my shelf. Had a few false starts with it previously, but this last time gripped me. I bought the 7-hour mini-series starring Sam Elliot. It's okay, but not near as good as the novel. Highly recommend to any WWII or military history fan.

martinsantos

Practically Family
Started and finished yesterday "South of no North", by Charles Bukowski. An intriguing book. A strange mixture of bas-fond language and a tender, warm, sometimes lyrical look over loosers.

Anyone here like his literature?

apba1166

A-List Customer
Started and finished yesterday "South of no North", by Charles Bukowski. An intriguing book. A strange mixture of bas-fond language and a tender, warm, sometimes lyrical look over loosers.

Anyone here like his literature?
Factotum I like; and Hollywood is a blast (even more so if one has worked there and knows the players).

MikeBravo

One Too Many
I am currently listening to Persian fire: the first world empire and the battle for the west, by Tom Holland, read by Andrew Sachs

It's an audio book that I listen to in the car driving to and from work. Next will be The theory of everything / by Stephen W. Hawking ; read by Michael York

Does anyone else use audio books?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda