Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
Wings of Morning: The Story of the Last American Bomber Shot Down over Germany in World War II by Thomas Childers
Decision Points by George W. Bush

Doc Average

One of the Regulars
I always have a few books on the go at one time. Currently reading:

Doc Savage, His Apocalyptic Life, by Philip Jose Farmer
The Battle For Spain, by Anthony Beevor
Raffles, by E. W. Hornung
I'm also re-reading Anno Dracula, by Kim Newman, in it's new revised edition.

All highly recommended.

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Title: The Woman Beautiful or, The Art of Beauty Culture
Author: Helen Follett Stevans

It's wise:
"But, alas! how few of us have come into the understanding of correct living! It is woman's impulse—so I have found—to buy a jar of cream and expect a miracle to be worked on a bad complexion in one brief night."

And this made me smile:
"here is nothing in the world which works swifter toward a clear, glowing, fine-textured and beautiful complexion than a simple, natural diet of grains and nuts and fruits. But you women—oh! it positively pains me to think of the broiled lobsters, the deviled crabs with tartar sauce, the pickles, and the conglomerate nightmare-lunches that you consume. And yet you're forever fussing over leathery skins, dark-circled eyes and a lack of rosy pink cheeks. Oh, woman! woman! why aren't you wise?"

I got it from The Project Gutenberg. Free download. Legal. :)

Isis

One of the Regulars
I'm currently re-reading Dorothy L Sayers crime novels about Lord Peter Wimsey in chronological order. At the moment I'm on <i>Clouds of Witness</i>. I love those books!

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Interesting that she concentrates mostly on Nazism and Stalinism, rather than Italian Fascism.

Arendt; similar to her contemporary Simone Weil, often biased, conflicted, naive,
yet possessing a remarkable prescience. Both Arendt and Weil seem disoriented toward
their racial/culture heritage within historic context-Weil the more so; however Arendt
cannot be philosophically pegged and avoids certain definition.

DesertDan

One Too Many
Hard Magic - Larry Corriea (the author of Monster Hunter International)
An alternate history set in the 1930's in which many humans have developed paranormal powers.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot