Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
"Down and Out in Paris and London" by George Orwell ...published in 1933, it is a memoir in two parts on the theme of poverty in the two cities.

I prefer more upbeat accounts of the 20s and 30s ...you know.... not about living on the wrong side of the tracks, tramps and all that .. but.... this book comes highly recommended from the bibliography in a book I just read about Modigliani....

I am loving every single word of it... so glad I bought it !!!!!:love:

down-and-out-in-paris-and-london-uk.jpg

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I just finished reading the last of the Gabriel Allon series by Daniel Silva. There's 12 books in all, I believe. Now I feel lost.

John Boyer

A-List Customer
Hi John, Merry X-mas.
Orthodoxy is Chesterton at his best.

Hello Harp,

Wishing you a Blessed and Merry Christmas also! I am a great fan of, just about everything, G.K. Chesterton wrote; I am thoroughly enjoying Orthodoxy. I think I will then move on to "The Outline of Sanity" and "The Napoleon of Notting Hill." Treated myself to a new pipe today, by the way. Sort of a Christmas present, to me. :) Very good to hear from you, Harp!

Wally_Hood

One Too Many
Last week, Peter Spiers' Christmas!, a picture book without a single word, about prepping for Christmas, celebrating the Big Day, and the wind-down, with a hint that the cycle will roll around again. Currently, Merry Christmas, Mr. Baxter by Edward Streeter, who also wrote Father of the Bride. At the same time, it's A Christmas Carol.

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Just finished Rohinton Mistry's A Fine Balance, wonderful and in the end rather sad novel about four people in Bombay during the Emergency Period in the mid-1970s. One of the best books I've read this year.

Just picking up again Fitzgerald's The Beautiful and the Damned to finish.

The Gentleman

New in Town
Finished Divina Insidia, of Pascal Roussel, a couple of weeks ago. The translation is average, but the message is clear and it's a great book!

divina-insidia.jpg

Captain Nemo

Familiar Face
I have started reading Dreadnought, by Robert K Massie. It is certainly interesting to think of what would have happened had the naval arms race (among many other issues, of course) not helped lead to WWI.

DavidJones

One of the Regulars
Starting to read a book called Blood in the Snow. Carpathian winter campaign during the First World War.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Last week I received this book from London... "Nina Hamnett Queen of Bohemia". I also have her autobiography "Laughing Torso"

I got this book because her years in the late teens and twenties in Paris interested me the most.

61tX0YkrlbL_SL500_.jpg

Nina in 1920

0hamnettpb61.jpg

Last edited:

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Nina Hamnett bio is going good....she was wild ...the author is not a very funny writer.... I like funny authors you know? ..this one is a bit boring...nevertheless....Nina was amazing! .... lots of fun .... she killed herself at the end.... but I havent get there yet.. she was so much fun Nina was... the end was not your usual end of a life...but ...still... great bio of a 1920s typical liberated woman!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy