Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Salty O'Rourke

Practically Family
Working my way through Ross MacDonald's Lew Archer novels, currently on The Far Side of the Dollar - classic stuff, as good when you know how they end as they were on the first reading.

Working my way through Ross MacDonald's Lew Archer novels, currently on The Far Side of the Dollar - classic stuff, as good when you know how they end as they were on the first reading.

It makes me happy anytime someone mentions that they are reading something by MacDonald. He is so underrated and exceptionally entertaining. If only he had been as prolific as Georges Simenon.
:D

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Hi Hadley

I just checked Wikipedia on her. Sounds like the entirely WRONG author wrote her biography. I can't even understand the reasoning behind writing a dull / just the facts book one someone like that. I mean it pays the bills I guess, but jeez.

Later

Well she did her best .... I am thankful that I have a bio of Nina at all :D I appreciate her efforts .... I learned many things about her .

So all is well that ends well :D

vitanola

I'll Lock Up
"Secrets of the Great Whiskey Ring", an insider's account of the corruption which suffused the Grant administration.

A trifle turgid, but quite informative.

Will follow with a newer volume, "The Teapot Dome Scandal" by Layton McCartney, which has come highly reccomended.

Mabel

New in Town
I am currently reading The Swerve: How the World Became Modern by Stephen Greenblatt. It's about the rediscovery of Lucretius' book De Rerum Natura by a papal secretary in the early 15th century. I read Lucretius in college and loved it, I even wrote a paper on it. The book is full of fascinating details about the early popes and monasteries from that era.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up
Just picked up my reserved copy of Dana Andrews: The Face of Noir from the library. Thought it was going to be a detailed biography, but turns out to be mostly a filmography, with some commentary notes interspersed. Andrews is one of my favorite actors, and, as it has been written, could do more with one look than many other actors could do with a soliloquy...

Mystic

Practically Family
Greetings, don't get to this thread often but thought I would comment tonight.

Now reading "The Defining Moment" by Jonathan Alter. Some early background on FDR through his first 100 days.

John Jakes "On Secret Service".

Does anyone else read 1 or 2 books at the same time?

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I finished last night in bed my book Nina Hamnett Queen of Bohemia.

At midday on a cold Sunday, Nina Hamnett falls forty feet from the window of her Paddington flat, injuring herself fatally on the railings below. There is a stool in front of the open window, and her throat is gashed.

Her friends didn't want to say to the press she killed herself.

But she did of course.

Rest in Peace sweet Nina ....1920s Queen baby! Bless you.

Ok, My next book is Virgil Thomson :D

DNO

One Too Many

Always. I suspect most avid readers have a number of books on the go at the same time. I usually have 3 or 4. Currently being read:

Tom Sharpe's Wilt Interitance (English satirist)

Michael Crichton's Eaters of the Dead

Philip Mould's The Art Detective (non fiction)

and the absolutely brilliant Man with a Blue Scarf by Martin Gayford (subtitled: On Sitting for a Portrait by Lucien Freud)

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Greetings, don't get to this thread often but thought I would comment tonight.

Now reading "The Defining Moment" by Jonathan Alter. Some early background on FDR through his first 100 days.

John Jakes "On Secret Service".

Mystic...

Never! I never read 2 books at the same time.

When I read a book I try to concentrate totally in what I am reading. No two no three no more.... just ONE,

I am very faithful with my books.

Faithful is the name of the game for me.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Reading several books at once is something I have done for years. It's no different to watching several TV shows during a week. I'm currently reading Richard Burton's diaries and a biog of Bogart, a book of essays by Martin Amis and re-reading Dickens terrific novel Great Expectations.

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
Reading several books at once is something I have done for years. It's no different to watching several TV shows during a week. I'm currently reading Richard Burton's diaries and a biog of Bogart, a book of essays by Martin Amis and re-reading Dickens terrific novel Great Expectations.

Well ...good for you.

I am not like that I like to concentrate in one thing at the time.

But... I know ...we are all different....

Thanks GOD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran