Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Mystic

Practically Family
Mystic...

Never! I never read 2 books at the same time.

When I read a book I try to concentrate totally in what I am reading. No two no three no more.... just ONE,

I am very faithful with my books.

Faithful is the name of the game for me.

Faithful...a very admirable character trait. You are to be commended and respected.

Faithfulness seems to have gone the way of the black & white TV. There is still some around but you don't see them very often.

When I am reading several books it's books for different reasons.

Last edited:
Greetings, don't get to this thread often but thought I would comment tonight.

Now reading "The Defining Moment" by Jonathan Alter. Some early background on FDR through his first 100 days.

John Jakes "On Secret Service".

Does anyone else read 1 or 2 books at the same time?

At the moment, yes. Like Hadley I don't like to, but somehow during the past few months I ended up finding myself reading three different stories concurrently. I am trying to rectify this because it really bothers me as I find that I more enjoy committing to one story at a time.

Widebrim

I'll Lock Up

Almost always read three or four at a time. I can easily lose interest in a story/subject, and consequently need to start (re-visit) another. (Right now, I'm just reading two books, though...) I also often do this with movies (which, I'm sure, exasperates those who need to watch a film in one sitting).

Almost always read three or four at a time. I can easily lose interest in a story/subject, and consequently need to start (re-visit) another. (Right now, I'm just reading two books, though...) I also often do this with movies (which, I'm sure, exasperates those who need to watch a film in one sitting).

I often read while watching a movie or television unless the program is just that good that it deserves all of my attention.
:D

dnjan

One Too Many
I only read one book at a time - tough enough keeping track of the characters and their inter-relationships without confusing the issue and opening another book.

I will read magazine articles, but they are so different from the historical fiction I usually read that I don't have problems with that.

MisterCairo

I'll Lock Up
Well ...good for you.

I am not like that I like to concentrate in one thing at the time.

But... I know ...we are all different....

Thanks GOD.

I have on rare occasion read two books at once, but generally read one at a time. The rare occasions, including oddly enough just this past month, are generally where I've bought or received two at the same time, and peek into both, get hooked on both, and then carry on!

I prefer to focus on the one, enjoying the story (or history or biography or what have you) as I would a film, in a continuous flow...

Having started two books and finishing the shorter of the two, I'm now focussing on The History of the Blackadder, a humorous biography/history of the Britcom Blackadder and the many actors, writers, producers and so on related to it.

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I Was Doctor Mengele's Assistant (The memoirs of an Auschwitz physician) by Miklos Nyiszli ISBN83-906992-7-3 ≈ Dr. Nyiszli is a character in the film 'The Grey Zone' played by Allan Corduner. The book and the movie are incredibly graphic - one can only imagine the horror of the real experience. -dixon cannon

DNO

One Too Many
Having started two books and finishing the shorter of the two, I'm now focussing on The History of the Blackadder, a humorous biography/history of the Britcom Blackadder and the many actors, writers, producers and so on related to it.

I'm a Blackadder fan myself...I'll have to keep an eye open for that one. "I have a cunning plan..."

Mystic

Practically Family
Going to be a cold windy weekend here. Picked up "Personal History" by Katherine Graham to keep me company. An autobiography that won a Pulitzer prize in 1998. Looks to very personal and very historical.

Hoofer

New in Town
I just started to read Ulysses from Joyce. It's a new translation (after 20yrs), bigger, better, uncutted, unedited, straight from the director :D So i'm curious...

LizzieMaine

Bartender
"Child Of The Sit-Downs: The Revolutionary Life of Genora Dollinger," by Carlton Jackson. An engrossing biography of a heroic Golden Era woman you didn't learn about in school: a 23-year-old worker at the Fisher Body plant in Flint, Michigan who formed a 400-member Emergency Brigade of female workers, wives of workers, and daughters of workers, who fought off strikebreakers with nothing but wooden clubs, home-made blackjacks, and their courage.

Feraud

Bartender
This is the only time I read more than one book at a time. If a story is not holding my interest I may start another book and it sometimes help pull me through the first one.
When I encounter a story where the author is firing on all cylinders I always focus on the book until the bittersweet end!

olive bleu

One Too Many
Starting Diana Galbaldon's OUTLANDER series..again. Every time she publishes a new volume, I start from the begnning. Except when the last one, AN ECHO IN THE BONE came out. I had so much going on in my life at the time, I wasn't making the time to read anything really. A friend gave me ECHO N THE BONE for Christmas, but before I dive into its 800+ pages, I am starting over again, and hopefully will be finished in time for the new one coming out this fall.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points