Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

HadleyH

I'll Lock Up
I have already two new books I just received.... VIRGIL THOMSON by Virgil Thomson also 1920s crowd in Paris ....and Glory in a Line: A Life of Foujita by Phyllips Birnbaum...

Life is good! as long as paper books and bios from the 1920s are still around! :D

Dixon Cannon

My Mail is Forwarded Here
After years (decades!) of sitting on my shelf, I've finally cracked the cover of the Hugh Trevor Roper's, 'The Last Days Of Hitler'. Mine is the 1957 Berkley Edition. -dixon cannon

Last edited:

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Nina Hamnett bio is going good....she was wild ...the author is not a very funny writer.... I like funny authors you know? ..this one is a bit boring...nevertheless....Nina was amazing! .... lots of fun .... she killed herself at the end.... but I havent get there yet.. she was so much fun Nina was... the end was not your usual end of a life...but ...still... great bio of a 1920s typical liberated woman!

Hi Hadley

I just checked Wikipedia on her. Sounds like the entirely WRONG author wrote her biography. I can't even understand the reasoning behind writing a dull / just the facts book one someone like that. I mean it pays the bills I guess, but jeez.

Later

MikeBravo

One Too Many
The American Detective: An Illustrated History, Joel Siegel

51jqPE5BmSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

"From Library Journal
In the realms of literature and film, the only uniquely original American characters are the Wild West cowboy and the hard-boiled private investigator. Unfortunately, those native sons have received frivolous treatment, having been relegated mainly to B movies and penny dreadfuls. Siegel ( The Casablanca Companion , LJ 5/1/92) contends that the American detective as personified by Dashiell Hammett's Sam Spade, Raymond Chandler's Philip Marlowe, and a few others is as worthy of respect as Huck Finn or Jay Gatsby. The text, complemented by over 300 illustrations (not seen), cover 150 years' worth of PIs, cops, lawyers, spies, and other assorted snoops and peepers from print, film, and TV whom Siegel believes fit the hard- and soft-boiled profile. Siegel delivers his information in a smart-alecky, I-don't-care-if-you-believe-me tone gumshoe fans will appreciate. Though several heavy-duty literary criticisms on the genre are available, Siegel's thorough and accessible examination helps pull the hard-boiled American detective out of the shadows and into the light. Recommended for public libraries and academic libraries supporting popular culture studies.
- Michael Rogers, "Library Journal"

An interesting read. Now I am digging up some of the authors he has mentioned

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Hi

I'm reading "The Outfit", a mob history of Chicago. Funny how they keep mentioning mayors and police chiefs...

Later

...Aldermen, precinct ward-heelers, bag boys, and other assorted political stripe straphangers
abound in this bastion of democracy, where even the dead cast cemetery precinct ballots....

DesertDan

One Too Many
I have a hankering to re-read "Dune" but my only copy is an autographed one that is old and a bit "crispy" so I want to leave it alone. I have not been able to find another copy yet, as strange as that may seem. The one I found new was some strange oversized thing and the used bookstore had every book in the series except Dune. *sadness*

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy