Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

Harp

I'll Lock Up
The Life of the Mind by James V. Schall, S.J.; which, in a
moment of madness I purchased full-price at Holy Name Cathedral's
bookstore...gonna IRS deduct this Jebbie as a charitable contribution
somehow....:D

Amy Jeanne

Call Me a Cab
I LOVE to read! I'm taking a much-deserved break from watching TCM (I got too many movies as it is!) and catching up on reading my lovely books!

Right now I'm reading Gold Digger: The Outrageous Life and Times of Peggy Hopkins Joyce by Constance Rosenblum. It's okay so far. Peggy didn't seem very interesting :/

Next on my agenda I have:
1927: High Tide of the Twenties by Gerald Leinwand
The Night Club Era by Stanley Walker & Alva Johnston
Center Door Fancy by Joan Blondell
The Seven Addictions and Five Professions of Anita Berber: Weimar Berlin's Priestess of Depravity by Mel Gordon
1929 by Frederick Turner
Please Stand By: A Prehistory of Television by Michael Ritchie
Kay Francis: I Can't Wait to Be Forgotten by Scott O'brien

And that's just this week!! Who knows what great CHEAP books I'll find used on amazon today or tomorrow.

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
Today I read most of Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Seymour: An Introduction by J. D. Salinger.

Franny and Zooey is one of my all time favorite books, and I adore Salinger's short stories. So far, this book has been incredible. I drew it between in -class drawings! I had a hard time putting it down. I've only got about thirty pages left, thanks to my super long commute. I get a lot of reading time.

Harp

I'll Lock Up
Ruby Slippers said:
Today I read most of Raise High the Roof Beam, Carpenters and Seymour: An Introduction by J. D. Salinger.

Franny and Zooey is one of my all time favorite books, and I adore Salinger's short stories.

Salinger's Catcher in the Rye is good.

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
Harp said:
Salinger's Catcher in the Rye is good.

Its a classic! :) I never give books away because I constantly reread them. When faced with possible eviction (which thankfully didn't happen) I contemplated making a little house out of my books.

vonwotan

Practically Family
Lancealot said:
I just got caught up with a great fantasy series by George R R Martin. TheSong of Ice and FIre it's been a great read and I can't wait for the remainder of novels to come out.

I also very much enjoy reading George R R Martin. Currently however, I am reading The Foreign Correspondent by Susan Carroll. A book set in WWII with a foreign correspondent writing for Reuters by profession and writing for Liberazione and the giellisti. It is one of the first novels I have read that includes Mussolini's OVRA in the plot.

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
S.M. Stirling's "Under the Yoke" and "Guns and Gunning" a book on shooting (duh) from 1936 by Captain Paul A. Curtis.

I love the precision and vocabulary used in some older books, as well as the humor. From a passage anbout accuracy being more important than rate of fire...

"Naturalists all agree that the white tail deer is a highly nervous animal and I endorse this opinion from personal experience, but they are not so nervous that they can be frightened to death. It is impractical to try to kill them through the medium of a box barrage when your rifle holds five cartridges to one loading..."

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Ruby Slippers said:

Franny and Zooey is one of my all time favorite books, and I adore Salinger's short stories. So far, this book has been incredible. I drew it between in -class drawings! I had a hard time putting it down. I've only got about thirty pages left, thanks to my super long commute. I get a lot of reading time.

I'm afraid to read about Salinger in case it rekindles an old obsesssion:eek:

Haversack

One Too Many
I've just started Michael Pollan's _Omnivore's Dilemma_. Always fascinated about food and culture. I'm also enjoying Larry Gonick's second volume of his _Cartoon History of the Universe, The Rise of China to the Fall of Rome_. It is good to dive into for those odd 5 - 10 minutes of reading one sometimes has available.

Haversack.

Ruby Slippers

One of the Regulars
Haversack said:
I've just started Michael Pollan's _Omnivore's Dilemma_. Always fascinated about food and culture. I'm also enjoying Larry Gonick's second volume of his _Cartoon History of the Universe, The Rise of China to the Fall of Rome_. It is good to dive into for those odd 5 - 10 minutes of reading one sometimes has available.

Haversack.

Food and culture! I'm into reading about that as well. Have you read The China Study? I haven't yet but I've heard its a good one. I'm looking to pick it up at some point (my reading list is about 25 pages long, its in there somewhere).

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Ruby Slippers said:
Food and culture! I'm into reading about that as well. Have you read The China Study? I haven't yet but I've heard its a good one. I'm looking to pick it up at some point (my reading list is about 25 pages long, its in there somewhere).

Food and culture?

You've then, of course, read "Salt"? "A History of the World in 6 Glasses"?

My next one in the genre is "Cod".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24