Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What Are You Reading

J.A. Daub

New in Town
Fiction-
The Two-Space War, Dave Grossman & Leo Frankowski
Prince of Sparta, Jerry Pournelle & S.M. Stirling
Starship Troopers, Robert A. Heinlein
A Confederation of Valor, Tanya Huff
All re-reads and why, oh why, can't Hollywood do a book adaptation without totally fouling it up beyond repair?

Non-
Chivalry and Violence in Medieval Europe, Richard Kaeuper
Germania, Tacitus
Weapons and Warfare in Renaissance Europe, Bert Hall
The Battle of the Golden Spurs; Courtrai, 11 July 1302, J.F. Verbruggen
and the German school fechtbuchs, Paulus Kal, Wallerstein, Hans Talhoffer

Really, they are more interesting than they sound.

imoldfashioned

Call Me a Cab
BegintheBeguine said:
Jamaica Inn by Daphne Du Maurier
The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Orczy

I love these--reminds me of The Prisoner of Zenda too. I should read those again, I'm in the mood for something mindless and fun.

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
Feraud said:
Has anyone read The Road by McCarthy?
Any thoughts?

For good or ill, it's no Blood Meridian.

Not as unhinged, but tense and even scary throughout.

Very much worth reading.

Anyone read Tree of Smoke, the new Denis Johnson?

SamMarlowPI

One Too Many
The Blue Arena by Bob Spurdle and The High Window by Raymond Chandler...
Smithy! Blue Arena is fantastic! and i'm not even half way through! thanks so much for the recommendation...

Cherry_Bombb

A-List Customer
I love biographies so right now I'm reading "Magda's Daughter". It's about a girl who was in hiding during WW2, but talks more about her life afterwards. Things you don't think about after the where stories usually end.

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
I am reading The Vampire of New York, by Lee Hunt. It's pretty good, not as good as The Historian, but not as long, either.

Interesting to read about life in New York City in the mid-19th century; some places still intact today, some long gone. And if I thought NYC was grimy when I lived there from 1969 to 1983, boy, it was a cesspool in 1863.

karol

K.D. Lightner

Call Me a Cab
Finished The Vampire of New York, which was a decent read, am now starting a book called People of the Book, a new hardcover that follows the perilous journey of a Haggadah from its creation in the 15th century to the modern era, where it is being evaluated and preserved by an expert in the field.

It is a book of fiction, but is based on some real events; there are lots of stories of people who risked their lives to save the book, hiding it from those who would destroy it, or smuggling it out of some war-torn city or country.

I am learning not only about the Haggadah but about modern techniques of book preservation and historical research.

Fascinating so far.

karol

carebear

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Went on a sci-fi binge with Christmas gift cards.

SM Stirling

- The Sunrise Lands
- The Sky People
- Ice, Iron and Gold

John Ringo

- Sister Time
- Vorpal Blade
- Yellow Eyes

Patrick Murtha

Practically Family
I'm still working on Charles Dickens's great Martin Chuzzlewit, getting closer to the end. I've completed nine books in Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, with four to go (next up: The Slippery Slope). My non-fiction reading at the moment is Louis Menand's excellent The Metaphysical Club.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace