Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you watching?

Jovan

Suspended
Dapper Dan said:
But, GOK, what about the... original Star Trek, with... me, Captain James... T. Kirk of the U.S.S... Enterprise?
As some of you may have gathered from my post in "What Are You Reading?" I absolutely adore Trek. Yes, even the Remastered episodes. I'm always for CGI if it's used appropriately... movies such as the last two Star Wars really overused it where stuntmen and real costumes would have been perfectly fine, and more desirable.

I like how he cooks Shirley spaghetti on a tennis racket.
I saw a great caption for that scene once, "Jack Lemmon shows off his signature spaghetti technique in The Apartment."

Miss Neecerie

I'll Lock Up
Smithy said:
Clara Noir said:
Then I might stick on a Black Books DVD
Haven't watched that for ages either and it was a goodie. One of my fiancée's favourites.

MMMM Black Books....

-so- glad they finally started (if slowly) releasing these in US regional versions......

Denise...addicted to the Black Books...well that and Spaced...and ....

Pilotguy299

One of the Regulars
Fleur De Guerre said:
Ugh, I loathe Billie Piper, so could never enjoy Dr Who.

The bubblegum style music or the acting? Some of the music is a little to silly for my liking (although her rendition of last Christmas is very nice). Billie did very well at acting as the series progressed. In the part of Rose she portrayed a very strong female (gonna hate this word) companion who had a strong sense of what is right and doing it. I know it's all scripted, but I think she pulled it off well.

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Just back from seeing 'Hannibal Rising'. Very much a blood and gore movie - all violence, and none of the psychological 'Silence of the Lambs' type dialogue. Very little dialogue in fact. Still enjoyed it though - I have to read the book now!

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Miss Neecerie said:
Smithy said:
Clara Noir said:
Then I might stick on a Black Books DVD

MMMM Black Books....

-so- glad they finally started (if slowly) releasing these in US regional versions......

Denise...addicted to the Black Books...well that and Spaced...and ....

Also addicted to Black Books...Dylan Moran is my dream man! Wonder what that says about me...:eek: lol

BJBAmerica

A-List Customer
Conflict - Bogart

Just got a copy of Conflict starring Humphrey Bogart and Sydney Greenstreet on DVD....An Ebay find. Will spend this cold/icy night watching it!

Liz

As far as TV shows go, House and Top Design are my two current must-sees. (Top Chef was number one, but now it's over!) Oh, and reruns of the Patty Duke Show.

My two most recently watched movies were High School Confidential and Ride the Wild Surf -- both get my highest recommendation!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
Fletch said:
Fleur, thanks for turning me on to Big Train. Some of their stuff is great (I say some, but of course you can't keep a sketch show on the air these days without doing some dumb-simple stuff, so no knock there).

Hooray! I particularly like The Prison song, but it's very childish! lol

JazzBaby

Practically Family
Daisy Buchanan said:
At this moment I'm watching "Mrs. Parker and The Vicious Circle".
Before the two hour special "24" starts I'm hoping to have the chance to put on "Bright Young Things". This has to be one of my top all time favorite modern movies. I won't get into what it's about, for there is an entire thread on it. To learn more check out this thread.

'Bright Young Things' is on Channel 4 now so I'm re-watching it. It really is a teriffic movie. Never realised how much Agatha reminds me of my friend Lisa...lol

Daisy Buchanan

My Mail is Forwarded Here
JazzBaby said:
'Bright Young Things' is on Channel 4 now so I'm re-watching it. It really is a teriffic movie. Never realised how much Agatha reminds me of my friend Lisa...lol

This is my favorite modern movie. Everything about it, from the clothes, the settings, and the funny little sayings, all great. I love Dan Akroyd's performance in this film. I watch this movie at least once a week, and it's played on Showtime a few times a week. It's a really fun movie, oh and the clothes are incredible. My favorite song "Nina" by Noel Coward is in it. It's playing during the scene when Adam has returned from asking Nina's father for money, and he is dancing around her flat to this song. Look up the lyrics to it if you don't know the song. It is as if this song was made specifically for her character.

Tonight's line-up for me is: "My Name is Earl" "The Office" "Grey's Anatomy" and "ER". It's my typical Thursday night routine to watch these shows with Hemingway Jones and order in a pizza. But, he's out of town so it's just me and the cats, but I changed dinner to Thai food. Everyone's gotta have a change of routine every now and again:)

Polka Dot

A-List Customer
Tonight:

First half of Ugly Betty
The Office
Grey's Anatomy

Thursday night is the one night I watch TV, so I make the most of it.

Warden

One Too Many
I was meant to be going to see King Pleasure and the biscuit boys last night, but no baby sitter meant I had to cancel.

I chance to watch TV? Well no, nothing on UK TV last night, so my 3 year old daughter and I made a valentines cake for Mrs W while she was out at work. (Yes I forgot what day the 14th was!)

Harry

GOK

One Too Many
Warden said:
I was meant to be going to see King Pleasure and the biscuit boys last night, but no baby sitter meant I had to cancel.

I chance to watch TV? Well no, nothing on UK TV last night, so my 3 year old daughter and I made a valentines cake for Mrs W while she was out at work. (Yes I forgot what day the 14th was!)

Harry

You missed such a wonderful evening last night, ol' bean - the band was amazing, and such fun! And meeting your lovely wife was a huge pleasure.

That said, how can you top making a V/day cake with your daughter? I bet Edna grinned like a Cheshire cat when she got home! :D

Jovan

Suspended
This thread has kinda died... I'm rekindling it with two more classics I just watched yesterday, The Philadelphia Story and Treasure of the Sierra Madre. I liked the former more, personally. Bogart can get on my nerves, and the music was way too dramatic when it didn't need to be.

WH1

Practically Family
I just bought the Philadelphia Story on DVD. It is really nice to be able to pause it and really look over the scenes and the clothing not to mention watch it anytime I wish.

Daisy Buchanan

WH1 said:
I just bought the Philadelphia Story on DVD. It is really nice to be able to pause it and really look over the scenes and the clothing not to mention watch it anytime I wish.
That is a wonderful movie, one of my favorites. The clothes, the wit, the interaction between Grant and Hepburn, so many things combine to make a really great film.

This morning I watched "Walk The Line". I have mixed feelings about the movie because I wasn't all that impressed with Joaqine Phoenix. However Resse Witherspoon was incredible, I can totally see why she won Best Actress for her portrayal of June Carter. She was amazing. She had this ability to truly become June. I honestly don't know if her singing was like June's, for even though I'm a Johnny Cash fan, I don't have too many of his songs that he recorded with her. But, even if it might not have been June's voice that she impersonated, her singing voice was quite good. I'm actually quite impressed by her ability in this film.
I thought the direction was OK, nothing too remarkable, but I think the point of this was so that the watcher isn't overwhelmed by fancy direction, and can focus on the characters.
So, Reese made this movie. She even made Phoenix's performance better, or at least his bad performance was less noticeable because she was so great. I'm not sure if another actress could have done as good or better a job. Because of her it was a good movie, one of those films you keep watching because you want to see more of what she can do. It is quite possible that this film might have had a very short run if she hadn't been cast in the lead.

Jovan

Suspended
I thought Joaquin was okay. This may be because I have some pride that he's from the town I live in, of course. :D June Carter was, by most accounts, not that great a singer. Neither was Bob Dylan, but their lyrics are what really made people listen.

Some other classics I've seen over the past few weeks: You Can't Take it With You, Arsenic and Old Lace, Cheaper By the Dozen, and To Catch a Thief. The latter had Grant not at his sartorial best in one scene... buttoning all three buttons of a coat. He also did this in a publicity shot once.

AlanC

I just got Season 1 of Arrested Development on DVD yesterday--hilarious. I think my wife and I watched about 4 episodes last night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay