Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

What are you wearing today??

Maguire

Practically Family
thunderw21 said:
^ Nice suit and I like the hair. The fabric pattern is great.
Yeah i second that, pounds of gel or any hair products and years of trying and i couldn't get hair like that for anything.

Edward

Bartender
No photo available, but today features:

Black CAT repro workboots.... not sure exactly from what historical point; very similar to standard 30s styling, but the lacing extends much further towards the toe (bottom eyelet is maybe two inches from the toe-tip). An unusual look, though an incredibly cmfortable one as it allows for a much neater yet still comfortable fit than boot-toes often have.

Trousers are a heavy, navy wool (serge, I think?). British military dress uniform issue, one of the cavalry regiments. They are obviously tapered as designed to have been worn with long boots, so they have the appearance of a pair of fifties-style pegs when worn without long boots over them. Distinctly high waist, fishtail back. Very comfy - I'm wearing them with RAF braces (the grey-blue ones - very sturdy, great things. Cheaply available from surplus in the UK, though be careful buying online as some places sell them extra cheap but they have been written on - issue-es' name etc.

My shirt is a pale green and white stripped affair, button cuff, all cotton - cheap from Sainsburys, as a lot of my workshirts. Perfect for day to day wear, even if not my first choice for a specific occasion).

Tie is a square-edged, wool-knit, Navy with horizontal stripes that carry mixed black/green/red tones - much subtler and less gaudy than it sounds! Gold toned tie clip and collar bar. Vintage waistcoat, four pocket, over the top in a shade of navy blue a few tones lighter than the trousers (enough of a contrast to look complimentary rather than mismatched).

Todays' outerwear features: black leather gloves (very similar to war-era Luftwaffe gloves), Akubra Federation (a Mk III Regular) in Carbon Grey, and a German military overcoat in that green-tinged grey with dark collar. The latter was purchased on eBay a few months ago, for the princely sum of GBP20. Worn once (fancy dress party, apparently). It was sold as a "German ww2 repro greatcoat", though I suspect it may be a post-war item of a similar style. Whatever, it is an excellent, heavy overcoat in that wonderful cut military do so well.

No suitcoat or blazer today - the weather is doing that funny, in-betweeny thing where it's too cold not to wear a heavy overcoat, but much too warm with a suitcoat also. This may have much to do with travelling on the overcrowded tube in rushhour!. Again I find myself wishing the standard Akubra lining was black, scarlet or any dark hue, as the sweat rolls off my head and inevitably stains the white satin..... bah.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
very sharp anon. And I must agree with the others, love the hair;)

anon` said:
New Suit Wednesday:And my new favourite avatar shot:
DSCN3941.JPG

(Another, similar shot. Useful to see the pattern on the suit.)

mannySpaghetti

One of the Regulars
My get-up for today. Went to breakfast at A-1 Deli in Downtown Haverhill, MA, hit a few antique stores around the area(found an awesome Resistol "Silver-Belly" too!), checked out a couple clothing stores and picked up my new suit at the tailors. A swell day so far. ;)

HPIM2755.jpg

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
Last night-me as Marlene Dietrich, though I drew the line at shaving off my eyebrows and drawing them in!

Vintage pieces: 30s heavy wool mens' tuxedo trousers with grosgrain ribbon trim (had them altered to fit me), white tux suspenders, 40s AO eyeglasses, clip earrings.

Modern pieces: tux shirt, backless cotton brocade vest, tailcoat (these three pieces borrowed from my husband -I altered them to to fit me), modern patent leather pumps with grosgrain bow trim. My silk collapsible opera hat given to me in the later 1980s.

I'm missing a white pocket square, a lapel flower and my husband's vintage pocket watch. I'm wearing this out tonight Ballroom dancing so I'm hoping to get some better pictures...
377047417.jpg

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Some wonderful, atmospheric photos for this time of year. :)

I didn't exactly 'costume' this year, but felt the need to dress up a bit for the WinterSquash Monarch pageant at the coffee house. Due to my relentless campaigning, I won!! Here's a shot of the moment of anticipation, followed by one of me with my amazing, handmade crown (picking up the chandelier drop that fell off).
4062382049_e61a2b2136.jpg

4062382047_90646279db_b.jpg

cufflinkmaniac

A-List Customer
My first time wearing a bow.....

Picked up two bow ties at Brooks Brothers yesterday and wore one today. Brown trews and Bluchers down below. I've gotten several compliments on the bow so far.

1000525.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy